Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Sterile Mongrel Project

Ska

Hey guys. This is my first attempt at modding. Thought I'd start with something non-valuable to take to bits.

Basically I had an old gen Dolce & Gabbana Sandpiper which didnt work. (Its a horrible quartz movement anyway)

I've always liked the shape of the 40mm case (enough to buy a decent strap for it back in the days when it still ticked) but thought it was a little too angular all round.

Here's a quick iPhone pic:

photo-1.jpg

So I stripped the movement out and had a shifty. The dial is an annoying 34.5mm diameter which is going to be fun as I don't really want to put a Pam-style in there but there are some nice looking enamel dials on the Bay.

The case should be ok for a 35mm movement like a Sandoz handwind. (Thanks for the tip Kink) so I've got one on order.

Right First to the case. I've ground off all the edges on the "bezel" and rounded out the whole case including getting rid of the chrono pushers etc - you can just see the remnants of the pusher holes in the photo below through the glass.

I'm still trying to work out a practical way of filling the holes where the pushers went so any ideas??

photo.jpg

The domed crystal you can see there was generously donated by Offshore so thanks to him as well (and for the nice smelling glue!!)

KinCaidk

Looks great, so far...

I will be following this project closely.

Brightlight

Nice project!

Can't you get the operating lever off a hand grenade and glue that in place over the pusher holes, that way it will look like a Graham :lol:

I'd get a piece of stainless rod of the correct diameter for the holes (drill them out if you can't find one to fit). Epoxy it in (or even better, if you can get an interference fit between the two, warm the case, put the rod in the freezer, then push it home and wait for them to return to ambient temp. It should then be in tight) then grind it level with the outside of the case.

Ska
Nice project!

Can't you get the operating lever off a hand grenade and glue that in place over the pusher holes, that way it will look like a Graham :rofl:

I'd get a piece of stainless rod of the correct diameter for the holes (drill them out if you can't find one to fit). Epoxy it in (or even better, if you can get an interference fit between the two, warm the case, put the rod in the freezer, then push it home and wait for them to return to ambient temp. It should then be in tight) then grind it level with the outside of the case.

Great plan Brightlight - thanks a million!! Trust a luthier to come up with a solution!!

I don't have a hand grenade sadly but I do have an old jerry can. I'm sure I could cut the release catch off that!! Anything for that Graham Look!!

:lol:

Brightlight

I've used SS rod for making Truss Rods :lol:

speedzmaster

D&G

Ska

@ brightlight, awesome, single/double action??

@ speedy :lol:

greg_r
I don't have a hand grenade sadly but I do have an old jerry can. I'm sure I could cut the release catch off that!! Anything for that Graham Look!!

:lol:

I have a broken cappuchino machine which might serve.... :D

Interesting project :rofl:

Ska

fire extinguisher handle?

Brightlight

For some reason I've lost the ability to reply to posts, though I can make new ones. Greg, any ideas, only happens on this forum?

@Skathe - just single action ones, the old Gibson style to put into a curved channel as this one for an old Epi with a broken truss rod -

epic08.jpg

The little piece of carved wood in the pic is to replace the wood damaged at the top of the neck, see below with the piece fitted -

epic09.jpg

and made god, just the fretboard to refit -

epic12.jpg

greg_r

BL: Do you not get the reply button, or is it just the fast reply box that is missing? Drop me a PM and let me know what's happening...

graman

Ska!...great project mate!..........and wood to boot!

I'm likin' this thread! ;)

Ska

Nice work Brightlight!! Love the Truss Rod, I bet its a huge improvement on the original Gibson one!!

+1 Graman, Wood and Metal in 1 thread. Sounds like a winner to me.

nicewatchdude

I like how your shaping the case. You can always use the lead free silver solder many of us

talk about in the vintage areas of some forums. You can also nickel plate it afterwards.

Nice work Brightlight!! Love the Truss Rod, I bet its a huge improvement on the original Gibson one!!

+1 Graman, Wood and Metal in 1 thread. Sounds like a winner to me.