SSTEEL

Guide - Using a 3D Printed DWO Tool to Assist Alignment of a DWO 2824-2

SSTEEL

Ok, those of us who repair watches, know all too well how tricky, and time consuming it is fitting, and aligning a Date Wheel Overlay, and because of this usually long process, a slow curing bonding agent is used, giving one penny of time to get the alignment right.

Sounds easy enough, but to get the alignment spot on, this involves fitting, and removing of the dial several time in order to get that spot on result, this is where this 3D printed tool helps in this regard.

The 3D printed too basically mimics the dial, and when fitted has five date windows, and a couple of cut outs for you to manoeuvre the DWO into its best position whilst the 3D tool is in place. The tool comes with two dial feet holes for ETA 2836, and 2824 configuration.

What you need to do is find something suitable to put through these holes, allowing you to pick up the tool easily once you have everything lined up. I used a couple of bracelet pin tips, see photos below.

11204038035_c3539486f6_b.jpg

11204071686_fb38fc2689_b.jpg

11204064144_af5aed962d_b.jpg

First off you need to remove that pesky DWO which usually hides pubes, dirty, and an old used DW. Using an X-Acto knife works very yell indeed. Just gently slide the knife point in, and push is a little further, and work your way around the circumference until it comes away.

11190914395_5785c60b00_b.jpg

11191058083_01cae3900a_b.jpg

I usually sand all the old crap off the DW, this not only cleans it up somewhat, but also creates a good clean, etched surface for the DW to be bonded onto. The rear of the new DWO is usually smooth thin metal, and the rear is normally shiny. This to me needs etching with some sandpaper also to help with its bonding.

The keyless bridge is what I remove when wanting to remove, and refit a DW...

11204820686_d275bee487_b.jpg

You can see these two parts to the left of the below photo..

11204037365_2b66daa51a_b.jpg

Having lunch now, so will continue shortly with more photos of the process.

SSTEEL

Fit the DW, and check its operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWu273LtYU

Ok, scrap the idea about using bracelet link pin tool ends, they are slightly too thick to pit into the dial feel holes in the movement main plate. I'm about to try some of my wife's needlework pins :P

11204809904_1c462e860b_b.jpg

Perfect.

Now trial fit the DWO onto the movement, do not apply any bonding agent just yet, this is just a test fit to see how things look.

First fit your prepped DW.

11204916073_19160d8fc5_b.jpg

11204917253_430e9d21ca_b.jpg

Then fit the 3D DWO tool on top with your pretty needlework pins :P

11204861555_2b42f149ca_b.jpg

What we are aiming to do is get the date aligned correctly in the five windows.

11204879764_f8ec743009_b.jpg

Obviously this was just a demo, but what I will do now is remove the tool, and carefully apply some slow setting adhesive to the DW, NOT THE DWO. << This is important!

Then will do as I done above, and manipulate the DWO to its best position, then leave in a dust free environment for 72 hours to cure.

From experience in doing a few of these, I recommend using epoxy resin from two part pack, but only the adhesive part, don't add any hardener. This sets over 72 hours without any movement caused by the curing process. Some adhesives do gel/move during setting, and this causes the DWO to move out of alignment without you realising.

SSTEEL

Ok, bit of an update on this prototype tool. I found that whilst manoeuvring the DWO, the tool itself had a little play in it, this is due to the pins being a nats hair smaller than the dial feet holes. What I had to do to make the tool more secure, was to Rodico the pin ends to the movement holder like so....

11205893896_0d6b7995b4_b.jpg

11205894306_bc7d6c9d68_b.jpg

And a few photos during alignment via the five windows in the tool..

11205864995_37ace26bee_b.jpg

11205989973_40ab0a3870_b.jpg

11205989203_ae66e2f0a4_b.jpg

Finally got it as good as I could get, then placed carefully in a corner to cure under a dust cover for 72 hours.

mdakers68

very interesting , thanks for posting !!!

LightGeek

Excellent! Now when are you accepting DWO jobs?

dalboy

Damn Mick..

That is very clever mate. i'm impressed .. . keep up the good work

Dal.

jerkstore

Try using these:

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product2040.html

If you select the right sized feet, slide them in from above and glue them into place, that would prevent the slipping problem. But you may have found a work around.

Very interested to hear your feedback about ways I can improve the tool. Also, I'm thinking about doing an add-on so it can also work as a foot positioner. Probably when I get a chance to breathe (after the holidays).

SSTEEL

Its great Mike for the first literation of design :) I am sure we can work together to improve it further ;)

Odyseus

Nice work Mickey!!! I got the tool, ordered the craft knife so I can align the DWO in my new DSSD (the date is very slightly too high)

LightGeek

I'm going to wait for the automated robot version of this.

Kcore

Looks like a fantastic tool aide Mike and Micky, can't thank you enough for the great "how to" post!

jerkstore

Sure thing. :)

You're more than welcome to try it out if you like. It's still a prototype though, so any ideas about how to improve it are highly appreciated. Please note that Bonesey has also created a DWO alignment tool using the same underlying date window positions (Rolex 3035/3135). Although RWI is down, I think you can find a purchase link to his design at the other RWG. (Edit: you can... Holder and frame are listed here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/164985-date-overlay-tool-in-the-works/ )

I'm planning to add a foot positioner capability, as well... The easiest way would be to add the correct holes for the target dial feet (2813, or some gen dial). Then you can just drop some Bergeon replacement feet into the 2836 slots, glue the top of the feet, and slide the target dial into place. When it's set, cut the old feet and bingo.

Does anybody know the exact location of the genuine Rolex 3035/3135 dial feet relative to the cannon pinion? I've already got the 2813 locations.

Edited by jerkstore

SSTEEL

One thing that did strike me whilst working with this tool Mike, the date windows would certainly benefit with black frames I feel. I don't know if this is actually possible though?

jerkstore

Makes sense. How about printing it in black plastic?

decus

Can you tell me where to buy one of those DWO's?

LightGeek

Can these be individually numbered and inscribed with RWG Official DWO Tool?

In all seriousness this is cool. Do keep in mind that sometimes it's just the dial that needs to be realigned. Now if someone can make a GMT handset seating tool...

Pharmo

Wow too technical for me but loving the pics anyway ;)

Cheers mick.

SSTEEL

Makes sense. How about printing it in black plastic?

Black would be better I feel, yes.

Can you tell me where to buy one of those DWO's?

TC Sells DWO V3 for the subs, and SeaDwellers.

Pob

Nice work my friend, this is my BP on the pics , right?

SSTEEL

Correct. Waiting for the bonding agent to cure/harden now :)

HeavyKrush

S, happen to have a pic of the finished install?

Sorry, didn't see that it wasn't finished. My bad.

glippy01

Great job on this! Nice to see a real solution to the one big time consuming drawback to insanely addictive hobby. Just ordered mine. Thanks.

Odyseus

I had to go back to the old way of aligning the date wheel, make the '3' in line with the stem and ensure that the DWO was centred by checking the gap between the DWO and DW.

The trouble with the tool was that I couldn't turn or slide the date wheel ?? Even using 4 spot welds of GS-cement or Tacky Glue.

It dried too quickly and I found that the DW just turned.

I think what would work is to permanently fit pins into the tool (I might try a couple of Vero pins?), so you can use that as a dummy dial instead of having to keep fitting the real dial to see if the DWO is aligned.

I managed to align the DWO on my DSSD though but it's pretty hard to do :)

jerkstore

Right. The idea is to glue Bergeon replacement dial feet (drop them into the tool's ETA holes from above). That way it works like a dummy dial. The DWO drying time is still a problem unless you have a lot of patience like SS.

Do you think it would help to cut more material away so you have more space to manipulate the DWO? Sorry to hear about your trouble :(

Edited by jerkstore