Sign in to follow this  
northcountryboy1976

Rolex service costs

fatarms

Did they polish the case and bracelet etc?

For my 16750, 10:10 polished the case and bracelet, serviced the movement, and replaced the crystal for $305.

YaYoGakk

Nice!

northcountryboy1976

Sounds a better deal than I got!

northantsrich

So after asking about the cost of a Rolex service on various forums I decided to bite the bullet and put my Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 in for its 1st service.

It's a 2008 V serial, usually worn most weekends. It has a few scratches and dings from hitting it off door handles etc, mostly superficial or so I thought.

I had expected the £400 odds for the services but didn't really expect the list of extras required.

New crown, bezel insert and crystal! Does anyone have experience with getting their Rolex serviced?

Do they tend to take the piss a bit or are these genuine requirements to service the watch?

Cheers

image.jpg

And that's why I buy a new TC every few years lol

HeavyKrush

$57 for a new insert? Ask for the old one back and sell that fucker on ebay and recoup some charges.

solkryssare
Damn you can tell its a Rolex, a new crystal really required? It depends on what you think, personally id tell them to service it, get the stamp like you would for a car then leave the rest if it doesn't bother you, you could always get it done at a later date, or doesn't Rolex work like that? Is it all or nothing?

I knew the crystal had a tiny chip on outer edge and bezel had a few small scratches but I asked them if possible to do service only. Obviously they have decided these parts need replacing.

I wonder if I can request the old parts be returned to me??

No you can not.

Take it to another qualified watch smith that won't send it to Rolex and just get the service

ShovelnTC

Wow the reaming continues even after the exorbitant purchase price!

The parts prices don't seem bad compared with what they get on ebay etc but whether you really need them that is a different matter.

That is also bullshit (if true) that they won't return the old parts, they are your parts for fucks sake!

I'd love to buy gen but these sorts of stories put me right off.

NFleischer

All the AD s rip you off for service. I spent $700 to do my Breitling Navitimer, came back good as new however.

diaby2afc

I think I am missing something. Why is it required for them to change out parts?

Granted, the parts are fairly cheap but still don't see why they don't state it as optional rather than required.

jingo.smile

I thought that it's almost impossible to get rolex parts by themselves, so you have to send the old one in to get a replacement from rolex?

Alex6340

Hi there,

Now a of topic question. How is the dayly wear comfort for the 16600?

Thanks

Alex

<RJ>
All the AD s rip you off for service. I spent $700 to do my Breitling Navitimer, came back good as new however.

Service on these pieces are expensive!

Standard service on a 7750 with chronograph complication at some certified watchsmith around here cost around $750, before extra parts. My Blackbird with big date cost $290 at rex nextdoor before parts. Thats a bargain!

Frankt8242

Their philosophy is :

If you are crazy enough to pay 10 times the REAL value to buy a watch, you're probably crazy enough to pay their ridiculous service fees too....

IMNSFHO, every "factory" service should come equipped with a large tube of KY Jelly !!! :itchyandscratchy:

Libertatia

I haven't got a rolex, but your bezel, crown, and crystal are fine. They are just like car mechanics I guess, they will say oh this and that needs doing, when it doesn't - who are you to say other wise?

Kcore

I've had both my DJ & sub serviced by Rolex over the years. My AD offered in house by his certified Rolex tech or off to rolex NYC. I opted for in-house. Both received complete service which incl repl main spring & full polish. Both cost $600 USD which incl new 2 yr warranty. 1 yr rolex, 1 yr AD.

J!m

Omega service is in a similar realm; however not quite that high! (they do take forever however)

I was also suprised when I got my watch back looking like a new one- they replaced things I did not even think about, but also gave me the option to replace things.

I needed a bezel insert, but Omega doesn't sell the insert loose, and they gave me the option of replacing it or not. It is supplied mounted in the bezel so the pointer always lines up at 12 exactly. That bit was expensive, but in the normal movement service they clean lube and adjust but also replaced the mainspring and barrel (which may have been the reason it was loosing time overnight). I ended up putting the new bezel and insert on. I bought my PO second-hand, and I estimate it was around the 10-year mark and have no issues with the service being needed. If I had to do this every two years, I'd be a bit put off...

My crystal AR coating had scratches, but they did not ask me to replace that. They did replace the hands with new ones because the orange tip of the second hand was faded. I did not realize how bad it was until the watch came back... Dial was left alone.

Full case polish/brush (very nicely done by the way), new crown, new He valve and all new gaskets (including under the crystal). All these parts are done to ensure water resistance more than due to cosmetics. If a crown is dented, it was obviously hit. That could distort it enough that it is water tight at 100 meters but not a 500 meters. If the watch has a rating of such a depth, it has to meet or exceed that after service. I was notgiven an option with the crown and He valve- they replaced it.

I guess my point is, I feel that the cost:quality ratio was acceptable. I also got all the used parts returned to me. This is (as stated above) normal, since they are my parts, but also gives an indication of why they were replaced. Just like going to the mechanic and he shows you the old, shot parts he removed from your car.

Finally, I say this: don't buy a Ferrari unless you can afford the service.

Edited by J!m