JohnG

RWG1: Water Resistance and Reps

myaz

OK, if you went through the trouble of dunking a perfectly good rep in a pool and posting 3 videos of it, you deserve at least 1 reply.

A heck of a lot better than the recent video of rep abuse by running over it with a car. :groucho:

WatchMe007
OK, if you went through the trouble of dunking a perfectly good rep in a pool and posting 3 videos of it, you deserve at least 1 reply.

A heck of a lot better than the recent video of rep abuse by running over it with a car. :groucho:

Thanks.

Jan-mj

Do we have someone at this forum that performs a Waterproofing service for a Rolex Sub to 100m (10 atm) ? I want to get one but only if i can go swimming with it

10:10 Watch Repair

You swim at 10ATM? That's a hell of a pool.

Balad1

Do we have someone at this forum that performs a Waterproofing service for a Rolex Sub to 100m (10 atm) ? I want to get one but only if i can go swimming with it

Visit your local authorized Rolex dealer. he'll hook you up...

Jan-mj

Its not that i want to go diving with it - it's just that i read that a watterproofing of 5 atm doesnt allow you to wear it in the shower (And if i get one with a stainless steel strap i'm DEFINITELY going to forget to take it off at some point)

catatonic

A ghetto waterproofing test: take the movement out and run the watch (crown and back screwed in) through the dishwasher. If it survives, anything you do to it that doesn't require oxygen tanks isn't going to screw it up. If the inside gets wet, it's easily remedied and you can test again once it's cleaned up and the seals upgraded.

digger2

Its not that i want to go diving with it - it's just that i read that a watterproofing of 5 atm doesnt allow you to wear it in the shower (And if i get one with a stainless steel strap i'm DEFINITELY going to forget to take it off at some point)

If my WP tester doesn't show any leakage for 5 kg/cm2, 5 ATM I wouldn't hesitate a second to swim with it for sure...

Pob

If my WP tester doesn't show any leakage for 5 kg/cm2, 5 ATM I wouldn't hesitate a second to swim with it for sure...

+1

Drewzin

Okay, so here we go...

It is a lie that you cannot take reps into the water. But as with everything, one must exercise common sense. Replicas are not manufactured to the same standards as genuine watches.

If you wish to shower, swim, snorkel, or dive with your replicas, you should ALWAYS have your rep tested in a pressure chamber for water resistance. That is, if you care about the watch. Many people take reps into the water without realizing any tests whatsoever. They assume the risk that the watch will leak and be damaged. But if you are reading this because your question is, "can I take my rep into the water safely?" the ONLY way to answer that question is to have it tested.

Generally speaking watches with chrono-function should not be placed in water. The pushers cannot be sealed as effectively as a screw-down crown with o-ring. However, some pushers were designed to be water resistant (for example on the Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph) and their repped counterparts share their water-resistant design characteristics. But again, the only way to know for sure if the watch will be resistant is to have it tested. And all watches, especially those with chrono pushers, should be tested each year. O-rings, seals, and gaskets can deteriorate over time.

Below appears a chart that serves as a guide to what resistance ratings correspond to what types of activities. As you will note, a rating of 50 meters does not mean that a watch is appropriate for diving to depths of 50 meters. This is because the ratings guides recognize that the conditions watches are subject to at 50 meters on the wrist of a diver are quite different than the STATIC pressure the watch is exposed to in a testing chamber. One can generate equivalent pressures on a watch, AT THE SURFACE OF A POOL. Slapping one's arms agressively against the surface of the water, for example, can generate extreme pressures at critical points of the watch. Similarly, movement of one's wrist while swiming at a depth of 10 meters can alter the local pressure considerably - either increasing or decreasing the pressure experienced by the watch, according to the type and force of the movement.

So, if you value your watch but would like to take it into the water, have it tested by your watchmaker. A test can frequently be performed for less than thirty or even twenty dollars and could well be worth the peace of mind it will buy you.

img-resistchart.gif

I have got a DeepSea Rolex from BK that was pressure tested to be waterproof but that's the extent of what I know.

From what you fellas know do you think it is safe to go swimming in the Caribbean Sea with it ? I've spent the extra money so that I thought it was.

Any inputs out there ? Alot of you seem to know Bk's watches pretty good.

Thanks

pa1113

Well Mark for $50 adds an additional waterproofing service when you buy from his site. (Only on certain models,check with him first)

I'd be interested to know if any of the trusted dealers/repair people offer waterproofing -- seems tough to find someone who does this and is easy to reach :-)

houndoggie

Well Mark for $50 adds an additional waterproofing service when you buy from his site. (Only on certain models,check with him first)

I'd be interested to know if any of the trusted dealers/repair people offer waterproofing -- seems tough to find someone who does this and is easy to reach :-)

yes, though I wouldn't pay extra for the service from a dealer. you will find that most reps have some semblance of water resistance right out of the bubble wrap.

The gardener

Hi folks

Four years ago I bought a submariner ep from a market in Turkey for the princely sum of £20, the words (it will not be working when you get home) still ring in my ears. However four years on and its still working and keeps good time. One frustration is that it is not waterproof, Waterdroplets on the inside is a giveaway, however after a dry out it still works

There is no o ring on the stem

Is it possible to make this watch waterproof

Luthier

Throw it in trash can, and buy good one.

Turkuey watches...

:picard:

Mazz

Hi folks

Four years ago I bought a submariner ep from a market in Turkey for the princely sum of £20, the words (it will not be working when you get home) still ring in my ears. However four years on and its still working and keeps good time. One frustration is that it is not waterproof, Waterdroplets on the inside is a giveaway, however after a dry out it still works

There is no o ring on the stem

Is it possible to make this watch waterproof

Yes it probably waterproofable (yes its a word) you would need to make sure it had seals and then said seals were greased. Best thing to do would be send it to a modder to have it checked and if possible water proofed

parisianshut

i always say that with a new girl ... "get tested!".

They didn't realy like it...

SSTEEL

Found this on the net, and thought it deserved sharing here as it pretty much explains things so clearly, a 5 years can understand it.

Its from the Infantry homage brand watches.

10366176796_27a3035f9a_b.jpg

Tr@

So where in the UK can you take a replica and get it pressure tested, obviously not an AD.

Sorry new to the forum if this is a stupid question, slap me silly and tell me I'm an idiot.

black263

So where in the UK can you take a replica and get it pressure tested, obviously not an AD.

Sorry new to the forum if this is a stupid question, slap me silly and tell me I'm an idiot.

Any of the Timpson outlets should be able to do basic testing. My local one does it for a couple of pound donation in their charity box.

Joneeboy628

Very interesting

jer2911tx

has anyone found a TD in the U.S. who can waterproof for 50 meters?

Chester123

This may be easier to understand. The pressure from a normal hose or faucet in your house is 40 to 60 PSI. 44 PSI = 3 ATM, 59 PSI = 4 ATM. So yes, the pressure in your home plumbing system is most probably greater than 3 ATM Splashproof. So stay with me here... A person can swing their arm 50 MPH to 70 MPH (multiply this for you metric folks). So swimming exerts a substantially higher pressure. 10 ATM is minimal IMHO for a swim watch. A dive watch needs way better than that. I have a 200m TAG (non replica) that I have had to 120 feet under diving multiple times, never serviced in 14 years and runs like a top. Am checking with rep suppliers to figure out what their waterproofing entails. Jury is still out on rep waterproofing IMHO.

vaquerito

Is there anyone that's come across a good replica that has the same level of waterPROOF qualities as the original, i.e., such that you'd be comfortable using it for diving and that sort of thing? I'd be interested in any recommendations in that regard.

GenTLe
Is there anyone that's come across a good replica that has the same level of waterPROOF qualities as the original, i.e., such that you'd be comfortable using it for diving and that sort of thing? I'd be interested in any recommendations in that regard.

Many of them. Panerai non chrono, Rolex with screw down crown etc. The fact is that you can't be sure of that unless you test them, grease the gaskets and tighten the case back.

JSJ

Seiko or any other low to mid priced gen makes more sense than a rep for diving.