Sign in to follow this  
Cannibal

Why should I like AP ROOs?

Cannibal

I've been around the watch world for years. On the forums, I've seen lots and lots of ROO love and yet they never speak to me. I want to like them but I can't. AP make fine watches so I appreciate what they are and what they can do.

Why should I like them?

seclark007

Don't force it, man. I'm in the same boat as you. Spent my dough on a AP Diver...wore it twice and sold it away. Them and TAG's....just never found one that works.

Why should you like them?

jgoorn

I don't really like em either. I got small wristies so I like the classic. Not even the jumbo.

Hyjynx

AP ROOs remind me of the highly popular "Trimix Diver" line from Swiss Legend. Here's one of them:

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?iq=1&bo_products_id=0&bo_products_variance_id=178689&promotion_code=CBD178689

SL obviously "borrowed" heavily from the ROO design. In full disclosure, I have a couple of SL Trimix Divers and can attest to their good quality for the price. Maybe that's what's still keeping me from shelling out several hundred dollars for a rep AP ROO. I'll probably get one someday, but they are way down my "To Get" list.

BentleySharp

AP ROOs remind me of the highly popular "Trimix Diver" line from Swiss Legend. Here's one of them:

http://www.worldofwa..._code=CBD178689

SL obviously "borrowed" heavily from the ROO design. In full disclosure, I have a couple of SL Trimix Divers and can attest to their good quality for the price. Maybe that's what's still keeping me from shelling out several hundred dollars for a rep AP ROO. I'll probably get one someday, but they are way down my "To Get" list.

HAAA!! "List Price - $995.00 ... Your Price - $79.99" :lol: I Love IT!!! HaHa!!

JasperB

The design. Same dude who designed the PP Nautilus. If you can't see it - you ain't got no culture.

Cannibal

The design. Same dude who designed the PP Nautilus. If you can't see it - you ain't got no culture.

That would be Gerald Genta, right?

Not a fan of the Nautilus either.

Guess I'm a heathen.

Hyjynx

*sigh* Toxic already. That didn't take long...

machiavegli

I'm on the fence with AP's. They almost have the history of Patek but are much better for daily wear... But there's still a little Hublot-ness to the ROO line.

I love Genta's jump hours. Rep that, Guangzhou!!

-Mach

James.

I never like them either, then I bought one out of curiosity. IMO its all about wrist presence and wear ability, nothing seems to compare.

jgoorn

If you want a Gentra-ish daily wearer just buy a Patek Aquanaut like me. I bought the steel bracelet and I also got an extra rubber bracelet. Steel for when you gotta dress up a little bit (maybe jeans) rubber for daily comfort wear and compatible with shorts.

TheInthusiest

Its a tough brand to love really. I am a fan of more modern abstract art. So the square and rounded out face of the watch really stands out to me.

Hublot is also very similar in that sense.

Just go with whatever you think you would enjoy. Dont let others make your mind for you. Let us guide you, but not make your mind up for you.

I'd suggest going to an AD and trying them on. :)

James.

*nautilus or RO for GG styling. Old ingy models were also quite well designed by Gentra as well, though sadly not seen in our world

cogwatch

I haven't gotten then AP bug yet either. But then again, I didn't get PAMs at first. Now I love them. So maybe I'll try an AP one day (a lower price quartz??) and perhaps I'll get what it's all about. If I hadn't tried that first PAM I wouldn't know what I was missing.

Maybe you should just give one a try yourself.

Any AP lovers have a recommendation for a good starter AP? Semaj, a suggestion to get a feel for that "wrist presence and wearability"?

<RJ>

I had one used it for a week and sold it. They look cool in the movies though.

UmpaHimself

I like them. Not all of them. I think finding you're model is kind of the trick. Same with Hublot or any brand really.

Like you guys said above, I bought the diver and sold it as well. It just seemed too classy for a sports watch, and too sporty to be a dress watch. Somehow didn't fit. Now I've got it bad for a Chronopassion, I'm a sucker for titanium. I think the sandblasted finish and dial detail, mix both sporty and luxury in a much more wearable way. Also, I think it works better than the diver on leather/other animals, rubber or SS bracelet.

James.

AP diver is the one you should try 1st

Then, if you prefer a smaller, dressier alternative, the 15300/400

If you like the diver, you'd probably also like the ROO chrono's.

Diver as a 1st choice, though. Worst case, you dislike it, and flip it for a $20 loss.

Panerista

It's like asking why should I love sex! Figure it out yourself ... or don't :) and if you have to ask, then you are not ready!

Wriggles

Or maybe just different taste to you. Saw your gold plating thread, looked like puke. Does that make me culture-less? I didn't like it. You do. No need to call someone a heathen cos they don't fucking agree with you.

How many people have really heard of Genta? I'd say 0.000001% of the worlds population.

How many people here heard of Genta before joining here? Similar stats. How many here still don't know who he was? Even lower

Who cares? No need to be so fucking condescending

@OP, I'm the same, I'm tempted by a diver but just not sure if it's me, don't like 99% of the AP range, too samey, too ridiculous looking. But that's my opinion.

I also think Hublows are horrific, yet there's something about the monstrous Oceanographic 4000 that I find intriguing.

I own a number of Pam's, many of them look the same, didn't get it at first, bought one, love them ( though there are too many similar models still TBH).

Tastes change over time, it's all about what YOU like. If you don't like them great, if someone else thinks that's ridiculous fuck em

greg_r

I like the ROO. Interesting looking watch. Having owned 2 or 3, though, I have discovered that I can't wear 'em - for some peculiar reason they feel massive and unbalanced on the wrist to me (and I like big watches - a 47mm PAM is very much my comfort zone). Go figure :dunno:

McJules

i was in the same situation when i joined the board. i was looking at pics and thought ''damn, that's an ugly watch!!''

i saw more and more pictures and slowly my mind started to change to ''this one ain't bad but not for me'' and became '' i need one''.

i grabbed a diver and i don't regret it! awesome wirst presence and i had lots of compliment on the watch!

it's now one of my favorite time piece between my pams.

null_zpscab627b8.jpg

HeavyKrush

Wasn't a fan until I picked up Umpa's diver. Love it now. It's one of the only watches that still sports the original rubber strap.

nickee_2dS

When I see For the first time an AP I've Said: Woowwwoooa its ugly, I don't understand How People spend that amount of Money For that Watch.

Now, 10 Dec 2013: I hope to win an AP on a raffle so I can try it on My wrist. :) :)

JasperB

Or maybe just different taste to you. Saw your gold plating thread, looked like puke. Does that make me culture-less? I didn't like it. You do. No need to call someone a heathen cos they don't fucking agree with you.

How many people have really heard of Genta? I'd say 0.000001% of the worlds population.

How many people here heard of Genta before joining here? Similar stats. How many here still don't know who he was? Even lower

Who cares? No need to be so fucking condescending

@OP, I'm the same, I'm tempted by a diver but just not sure if it's me, don't like 99% of the AP range, too samey, too ridiculous looking. But that's my opinion.

I also think Hublows are horrific, yet there's something about the monstrous Oceanographic 4000 that I find intriguing.

I own a number of Pam's, many of them look the same, didn't get it at first, bought one, love them ( though there are too many similar models still TBH).

Tastes change over time, it's all about what YOU like. If you don't like them great, if someone else thinks that's ridiculous fuck em

What the fuck are you talking about. It's a figure of speech you twat.