Sign in to follow this  
Cannibal

Why should I like AP ROOs?

Kleen™

waiting...can't be long now....

Wriggles

Keep waiting Kleen, couldn't be arsed giving oxygen to someone like that. Casts aspersion on a members personal choice, gets challenged rationally, then hurls an abusive comment in retort? Better things to be doing with my time

JasperB

Challenged rationally:

'if someone else thinks that's ridiculous fuck em

Saw your gold plating thread, looked like puke

Who cares? No need to be so fucking condescending'

Yeah, I think I see what you mean :)

Wriggles

Not getting into an argument with you. You are selectively quoting. I was making a point about differing opinions and the fact it shouldn't matter what someones opinion is, your personal opinion is yours and should be accepted. As I said I thought the gold plating is puke, you like it. I never commented on it in your thread and called it puke cos you're entitled to your opinion.

"If you can't see it - you ain't got no culture."

That is condescending in my opinion. qualifying it with the use of fucking was for emphasis. Not an attack.

The comment about "fuck em" is aimed at anyone who casts aspersion on your right to an opinion, not directed at you per se.

Anyway, I made my point, it's clear, I'm not bothered getting into something over this. You have your opinion, I have mine, your comment was condescending, you call it a figure of speech.

difference of opinion. Difference is though I kept from slinging personal insults such as twat.

You twat :)

Cannibal

I only really know the ROOs. I'll have a look at the divers. It's a brand I should like, in theory. Great discussion guys. (mostly, ;) ).

RichardMiami
:popcorn:

JasperB

Imibcn - 'selectively quoting you', come on, you had a rant, I called you out, be big enough to admit it instead of fencing with me. You got personal with the 'puke' jibe, I got personal in return.

To the OP I simply used a figure of speech to indicate that the design has become a cultural icon, that's an indisputable fact. If I had wanted to make a personal attack on your judgement I would not have used 'ain't got no culture' which is a figure of speech.

By the way - I thought you weren't going to feed the likes of me oxygen? Don't answer that, this conversation is over.

Cannibal

It's my thread.. it's not over till I say it's over (lol)... or a mod. ;)

No need to flame here folks, I was just polling opinion on the AP. Like I said, i should like them, but I don't. I can't... But I want to. Bah, I guess I'll stick to my IWCs, Panerais, Rollies and other more classic designs. ;)

subiim

The design. Same dude who designed the PP Nautilus. If you can't see it - you ain't got no culture.

Or maybe just different taste to you. Saw your gold plating thread, looked like puke. Does that make me culture-less? I didn't like it. You do. No need to call someone a heathen cos they don't fucking agree with you.

How many people have really heard of Genta? I'd say 0.000001% of the worlds population.

How many people here heard of Genta before joining here? Similar stats. How many here still don't know who he was? Even lower

Who cares? No need to be so fucking condescending

@OP, I'm the same, I'm tempted by a diver but just not sure if it's me, don't like 99% of the AP range, too samey, too ridiculous looking. But that's my opinion.

I also think Hublows are horrific, yet there's something about the monstrous Oceanographic 4000 that I find intriguing.

I own a number of Pam's, many of them look the same, didn't get it at first, bought one, love them ( though there are too many similar models still TBH).

Tastes change over time, it's all about what YOU like. If you don't like them great, if someone else thinks that's ridiculous fuck em

What the fuck are you talking about. It's a figure of speech you twat.

Twat means cunt. I used the google.

_DC_

You shouldn't like AP ROO's, that's it, end of thread, thank you and good night.....

Also, why are we talking about Genta in a thread about ROO's, they're derived from the same design but he did NOT design those oversized blingfests, man had taste, lol!

DC

Wriggles

Also, why are we talking about Genta in a thread about ROO's, they're derived from the same design but he did NOT design those oversized blingfests, man had taste, lol!

DC

Ask JasperB, apparently the AP is a cultural icon. Indisputable fact apparently. Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles are all cultural icons, don't know of a watch brand that is, but it's indisputable so don't dispute it

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

... But there's still a little Hublot-ness to the ROO line.

I love Genta's jump hours. Rep that, Guangzhou!!

-Mach

AH Yes..... The 1875 founded Audemars Piguet brand ROO does have a little of that 1980 founded Hublotness about it.....

The Royal Oak was designed by Gerald Genta... master watch designer in 1970....

The big bang was designed and released in 2005......35 years later.....

I think its safe to say that some of the design cues of the Hublot were taken from RO and more likely ROO's

And that Hublots.... are the ones that have a little AP ROOishness about them !!!!....... not the other way round !!!!

_DC_

Well I'm not getting involved in any inter-member mud slinging, I know JasperB has good taste most of the time as he's a fellow Patek fan, maybe he took a bump to the head and now likes ROO's too lol. Each to their own but to my eyes they are just awful, hateful abominations!

Now everyone learn to get along or go play with someone else!

DC

Cannibal

wow

Wriggles

Well I'm not getting involved in any inter-member mud slinging, I know JasperB has good taste most of the time as he's a fellow Patek fan, maybe he took a bump to the head and now likes ROO's too lol. Each to their own but to my eyes they are just awful, hateful abominations!

Now everyone learn to get along or go play with someone else!

DC

Yep, exactly my point - each to their own. I have no problem with our fellow member or his taste, I don't expect my taste to be the same as everyone else's. I just took umbrage at what seemed to be an aspersion cast on the OP's tastes and cultural sensibilities.

Maybe it was taken up wrong, it seems to be the explanation provided. I'm more than happy to leave it at that, didn't want an argument, don't think I found one. A bit of light hearted banter is all :)

JasperB

"I know JasperB has good taste most of the time as he's a fellow Patek fan"

And I still love my Patek's, but there are some lovely ROO's too, the simple ones with the slim cases particularly. I was in Jakarta on Tuesday and I found loads of great watch shops. I did buy an Omega Seamaster Quartz 41mm and it is really nice. But I tried on a Patek Nautilus Chrono - The black faced one (I have a quartz rep of it and wanted to see how nice the real one was) Bloody heck man, it was absolutely gorgeous. I owned up to the dealer that I couldn't afford it, and just wanted to look at it, and he just smiled and winked. Nice I thought.

jpohl402

Genta was a classic- he passed away in 2011.

I have two APs- the RB and Black themes. I rarely wear the RB as it wears huge and it isn't that comfortable. Nice story to the ROO in the attached link.

http://www.watchtime...d-gerald-genta/#

SAM_1438.jpg

SAM_1630_zpsf2345cbb.jpg

Black themes, then you added a ceramic bezel ? It looks good

Edited by jpohl402