Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

I just experienced my very first crystal popping out under pressure

SSTEEL

Almost shat me pants :lol:

Tested a BP SD to 3ATM and noticed a small leak from the crown, so removed, and greased the o-rings. Tried testing again, and following Bergeons guidelines, which are to increase pressure in the chamber whilst the watch is hanging over the water, then once the required pressure is reached, leave for three minutes BEFORE submerging the watch, and simultaneously releasing the pressure via the release valve.

I did exactly this, but just as I was lowering the watch after the elapsed three minutes, pop, the crystal blows off. Obviously still a leak somewhere. Need to investigate, and check the gaskets more closely in case any are split.

When it popped I almost fell off my chair, gave me a right fright as this is my crystal popping cherry popper as it were :P

11323313405_e66c0d26a2_b.jpg

Half of the watch was under the water when it popped, but luckily due to my quick action of extracting it, all appears to be ok, removed water from dial with a blower, and then inspected inside, and its dry, and still running.

11323313075_505b5f4327_b.jpg

So I guess I need to seal this crystal properly :)

AndyBlue

Be honest Mick, you did... you actually shat in your kecks, didn't you?

SSTEEL

Erm, no comment :P

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Remarkable work.... I am in awe of what you do to these reps.....

and to think i'm still learning how to tell the time....

SSTEEL

Everyone has to start somewhere my friend :) We were all newbies once :)

trailboss99

That is why you do a dry run above the water!

Go thru a pressurise, wait and release cycle without submerging the watch. If the crystal is going to pop it will do so then before it gets anywhere near the water.

SSTEEL

Go thru a pressurise, wait and release cycle without submerging the watch. If the crystal is going to pop it will do so then before it gets anywhere near the water.

Tried testing again, and following Bergeons guidelines, which are to increase pressure in the chamber whilst the watch is hanging over the water, then once the required pressure is reached, leave for three minutes BEFORE submerging the watch, and simultaneously releasing the pressure via the release valve.

I did exactly this, but just as I was lowering the watch after the elapsed three minutes, pop, the crystal blows off.

:D

SSTEEL

Update on this watch. I replaced the crystal gasket for a new one, and the crystal was still able to pop out quite easily when pushed from inside, so I got the Resi-Bond out.

Now having applied the resi-bond around the gasket, and mating areas, its got quite messy due to the poor applicator nozzle. I have managed to wipe some excess way for now with a damp cloth, mainly from the inside of the crystal.

I have placed the watch with the crystal face up, and placed some weight to the crystal over night, and will continue some initial tests today. I feel the leak is the tube, so will remove that and seal it up.

trailboss99

Tried testing again, and following Bergeons guidelines, which are to increase pressure in the chamber whilst the watch is hanging over the water, then once the required pressure is reached, leave for three minutes BEFORE submerging the watch, and simultaneously releasing the pressure via the release valve.

I did exactly this, but just as I was lowering the watch after the elapsed three minutes, pop, the crystal blows off.

:D

No, according to your post above you submerged the watch at the same time you released the pressure.

You are supposed to do a complete dry run, ie: release the pressure with the watch out of the water, check for crystal displacement and the re-pressurise and lower the watch into the water before releasing pressure. Also, never allow the pressure to hit zero with the watch still in the water if there is any sign of a leak.

SSTEEL

I have followed the Bergeon instruction to the letter Col. After the three minutes observation, this step is indicated.. Submerge watch in water, and release the pressure.

11364506733_94211da72e_b.jpg

LightGeek

Fun! I remember that mine popped afterwards while resting on the table. That was shocking, having a crystal fly across the room.

twofake

I popped my cherry crystal a while ago as well. Still waiting for my RWG order with my crystal press as well as uv glue and the other glue they sell.

Hard to believe that the crystal seal alone holds the crystal in a gen.

trailboss99

I have followed the Bergeon instruction to the letter Col. After the three minutes observation, this step is indicated.. Submerge watch in water, and release the pressure.

And the instructions are wrong. ALWAYS do an above the water test first including depressurisation, repressurise and then do a submerged test. After removal hold the watch to your ear and unscrew the crown while listening for escaping air. Sometimes the watch will pressurise and not leak out again as Light Geek discovered.

BentleySharp

I popped my cherry crystal a while ago as well. Still waiting for my RWG order with my crystal press as well as uv glue and the other glue they sell.

Hard to believe that the crystal seal alone holds the crystal in a gen.

I guess that's the difference you get between $400 and $4000 :P

SSTEEL

And the instructions are wrong. ALWAYS do an above the water test first including depressurisation, repressurise and then do a submerged test. After removal hold the watch to your ear and unscrew the crown while listening for escaping air. Sometimes the watch will pressurise and not leak out again as Light Geek discovered.

Noted mate, and have been doing just that since this scare lol. Can't be too careful when using this type of equipment.

Olly

Hahaha i can imagine mate ! :rofl: That made my laugh, Learn my your mistakes and misfortunes ! Was it your watch or someone else's ?

SSTEEL

Hahaha i can imagine mate ! :rofl: That made my laugh, Learn my your mistakes and misfortunes ! Was it your watch or someone else's ?

Its a watch I'm working on.

Olly

Oh dear, Hope it's all good now :)

SSTEEL

Working on it mate, cracked out the resibond ;)

trailboss99

Ask Offshore about the look on my face when the xtal popped out of Rooster's WM9 LV (which he had yet to even set eyes upon) under the water. And yes, that was after a dry cycle so it can still happen and is a good reason to use only demineralised water in a tester. A thorough drying was all that was required since the MVT barely got wet. I tend to do the depressurise very quickly on the dry test now so if it's going to go it will go dry.

SSTEEL

I can imagine Col. Just had my second crystal pop, and it was really funny this time as my wife came up to the bench whilst I carried out a 6ATM test on a gold DateJust.

POP!!!!!

Wife screamed :lmao:

Bezel, and crystal came away from the case.

ReplicaFromDownunder

My Crystal once popped out of my DSSD while I was on an airplane on an international flight. I was sleeping on sleeping pills and it woke my wife up. lol.

SSTEEL

The victim..

12905091853_77495af5ec_b.jpg

Once I'm done doing a better job than that of our Chinese friends, this watch shall be very waterproof :)

ado213

Hey Micky, just imagine the fun you will have at 10 bar !!

SSTEEL

Hey Micky, just imagine the fun you will have at 10 bar !!

Hell yes! Looking forward to buying those parts to convert my 5555 too Ad. :)