Sign in to follow this  
Star

Hey everybody! newbie checking in!....and to those that were with me

Star

Hey everybody :D

Nice to see some familiar faces and hope everybody is well.

Almost bought a new Omega Ploproff and wanted to see if they made a decent rep version of it and wanted to check the boards.

Timm

Edited by Star

skintrade

Hi and Welcome :D

wencarnacion

Welcome to the forum!

AllergyDoc

Hi Star!

They've had some issues with the Plop-plop.

JoeyB

Do they make a decent looking genuine version yet?

KBH

I was wondering that too...:lol:

Actually, they've had some crystal delamination issues on the first batch.

Welcome back Star

Fiddo

Hello! :lol:

Welcome!

offshore

Now there's an old (almost ancient :lol: ) face!

Hi Timm, welcome to the madhouse.

Guys, this fella is one of the real "original's" dating back to the days of RCC.

And if my fading memory doesn't fail me, may have even played a part in running/building it, and TRC- eh Star??

Good to see an old timer still active around the traps.

Welcome aboard.

Offshore

dingle

Welcome back to the nuthouse. Can't wait to see the wisdom you share with us :lol:

GC

Welcome & welcome back!

greg_r

Hey - great to have you here! :)

As others have said, the current rep looks the part but has a major issue with the crystal delaminating. I'd suggest waiting for 'em to fix it...

trailboss99

Good lord, if it is indeed the original star it's great to have you here mate, if not you are more than welcome anyway.

I'd wait a while on the plopplop until they sort some of the bugs out mate.

Col.

Baldrick

Can't have a party without you showing up, hi Timm, nice to see you here :P

Yep, Star be one of the oldies from the days of TRC where he was a Moderator, good friend and all round great guy. :)

Now all we need is TTK to show up :)

Star

Thanks all for the warm welcome! ...great to see you still around offshore!

Funny!...some things never change do they?

Yea TTK vs Cousteau would be fun after they've had so many years to 'rest up', but TTK is gone. Neil remains, but TTK has left the building. I spoke with Neil prior to his surgery in December and he was upbeat and positive about his medical issues and the journey he was facing. Has anybody approached his photography skills round these parts in his absence? No matter how you felt about him, you had to give him his due with his camera. There's a couple guys on the Panerai forum that are his equal (ok....better ;) )

Thanks for the heads up on the problems with the Omega.

Have they figured out "who makes the best sub" yet? Got some catching up to do....

Timm

Baldrick
There's a couple guys on the Panerai forum that are his equal (ok....better

Ooooh, you better not let TTK see that, if he ever returns, he might dissolve your friendship or lambaste you on the forums, it could get ugly ;)

dingle
Thanks all for the warm welcome! ...great to see you still around offshore!

Funny!...some things never change do they?

Yea TTK vs Cousteau would be fun after they've had so many years to 'rest up', but TTK is gone. Neil remains, but TTK has left the building. I spoke with Neil prior to his surgery in December and he was upbeat and positive about his medical issues and the journey he was facing. Has anybody approached his photography skills round these parts in his absence? No matter how you felt about him, you had to give him his due with his camera. There's a couple guys on the Panerai forum that are his equal (ok....better B) )

Thanks for the heads up on the problems with the Omega.

Have they figured out "who makes the best sub" yet? Got some catching up to do....

Timm

Neil was rumored to be dead. Have you spoken to him since December?

G.Curcio is approaching TTK standards with pics in a hurry......IMO he is there already. :)

Baldrick

I think if he had, he wouldn't have referenced 'December', but a more recent date JMO!

dingle
I think if he had, he wouldn't have referenced 'December', but a more recent date JMO!

correct you are.......B)

but for some reason I think December or January was when the rumors starting flying......not for sure tho.

Just wanted to see what Star had heard, if anything. :)

Silverspeed

Welcome back Star...:)

trailboss99

I'm slowly working on it mate: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/forumdisp...ex-sub-206.html

Just need the time to finish a cpl more sections and we will know!

Col.

Baldrick
G.Curcio is approaching TTK standards with pics in a hurry......IMO he is there already

I wouldn't generally disagree with you, G Curcio's photos are very, very good, with one or two caveats.

I think he will eventually find the restrictions that inevitably occur with a non-SLR camera, such as depth of field, if you look at TTK's photos and check out the image properties, he sometimes shoots at apertures between f32 and f40, compact cameras struggle in that area, however that's only a drawback if you don't shoot watches for 'commercial' purposes, in other words it frees you up to make use of bokeh etc etc for 'artistic' effect rather than what TTK did, which was to shoot for 'commerical' effect, to make the watches 'pop' off the page, with good colour rendition, sharpness right across the dial and high contrast imagery, allied to great choices in 'backgrounds' which seem entirely sympathetic to the subject, are what 'sells' his watches, not 'artistic' aspects!

Now that's not to say that G.Curcio and others such as Greg / Silverspeed / AllergyDoc and another guy over on RG, whose work I like also, 'Harley' are not as good or up to TTK's standard, many of them are, however some other aspects to remember are that while they may be up to his standard on their 'good' day, IMO, their 'best' standard isn't up to his 'best' standard on his 'good day', another aspect is that TTK hasn't produced ANY new work for over a year and a half, we don't know what kind of work he would be producing with the current flux of reps, remember that, as the others mentioned here, grow in stature with all new experiences, the same rule would apply to TTK, his early work doesn't match his later work, as with other photographers, experience counts in self-development, not to mention the most important factor, CONSISTENCY, he consistently produces(d) great shots on a regular basis, from cheap watches to expensive ones, almost every watch he shot. he made look expensive and desirable, some of his best work IMO is right up there with most good commercial photographers engaged by the companies and running much more expensive gear and studios, than he used, a 5mp Minolta DSLR, with an after-market lens!

As I said, this is not a competition, nor a 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad' post, and I hope nobody takes up cudgels over it, 'cos quite frankly, we should give credit AND thanks to guys like G.Curcio and all the others mentioned here, think what this forum would be like if we didn't have all their wonderful photos to look at, we do have a crop of great photographers here... and that's my HO...other thing we also have to remember is that TTK had a lot of subject matter at hand, no matter how good they are, our other great photographers won't have or haven't had the same amount of stuff to cut their teeth on :)

As an example, I'd ask any member to show me anything that reaches these standards, in terms of a 'commercial' shooting, to SELL a watch, not as a means of artistic expression, because you can look in the sales sections of any of the forums or dealers websites and you won't see anything that compares!

332CHOPARDGTXLWHITEDIAL_BLACKDIAL.jpg332CHOPARDGTXLWHITEDIAL4.jpg379CHOPARDMMGTXLPINKDIAL1.jpg390CHOPARDGTXLGMT1A.jpg390CHOPARDGTXLGMT8.jpgCHOPARDBLUESTRAP8.jpg441JUNE2008CORUMADMIRALSCUPE.jpg441JUNE2008CORUMADMIRALSCUPI.jpg445CORUMADMIRALSCUPRGTITANIUM1.jpg460GRAHAMOVERLORDCHRONOFIGHTER1.jpg187PANERAICHRONOSUBMERSIBLE21.jpg326PANERAIDESTROSUBMERSIBLE2.jpgPICT0072A.jpg330PANERAI111TITANIUM_1950COMBO.jpg

Member X

Gnargh! Balders!!

Pleeeeease press enter inbetween pictures, otherwise you break the forum and I have to scroll so far to the right, I fall off the screen :)

Baldrick

get a bigger screen :)

I 'center' all my photos, so shouldn't be a problem !

kman3786

The Omega Ploppy V2 is my favorite, but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for mine that was recently stolen!