Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Omega Railmaster XXl from Mary (Watchinternational)

Ska

This arrived from Mary 2 days ago.

OMEGA RAILMASTER XXL.

Unitas 6498 Movement

Leather strap with Deployant.

Ok firstly this thing is HUGE. So big in fact that for the first few minutes it just looked like a novelty watch to me. 49mm case diameter is much bigger in real life than it looks on paper. It makes my UPO look like a Sub. Here they are together.

Com6.jpg

However after the initial shock it really grew on me quickly because its so effortlessly classic and simple.

The quality of this rep for the price is incredible, technically it qualifies as a "cheapie" but in terms of build quality, detail and accuracy its up there with the UPO in my opinion (obviously there's less to get wrong by an order of magnitude.)

The real genius about this watch being so simple is that a.) it looks identical to the gen from almost every angle and b.) the Unitas movement not only looks just like the real thing but its also bulletproof and easy to service.

The only thing they could have done better would have been to engrave/emboss an Omega logo onto the movement, but its a tiny gripe and the only thing that would set this apart from the gen at a glance. (and only when the watch is off your wrist of course!)

Right first a pic of the gen courtesy of WatchusGeek:

3942840767_ed8f3da60f_b.jpg

and here's mine.

Rail1.jpg

Interestingly i only noticed after taking this photo that it demonstrates how great the lume on this watch is. That shot was taken with full lighting in a photography tent without charging the lume at all in any way.

Even at this distance the accuracy of the case and dial to the gen is apparent. Of course with Omegas you also have the advantage of knowing that far fewer people have any real knowledge about the gens unlike Rolexes for instance where everyone knows roughly what a Sub looks like.

Rail2.jpg

Rail6.jpg

The clasp is again very accurate and also incredibly sturdy with both steel and leather keepers and two lock-off pins ensuring the railmaster is on your wrist to stay. The clasp goes well with the strap which was of surprisingly good quality and much thicker than I'd imagined. I have puny wrists so I'm going to punch another couple of extra holes in this strap.

I'm more than prepared for your mockery and jeering when you see this on my tiny arm in the wristies thread.

Rail3.jpg

The strap is embossed on the underside with the omega logos rather than the nasty looking "Genuine Leather" you get on cheaper straps.

The Unitas movement looks almost identical to the gen movement. The untrained eye couldn't tell believe me (apart from the Omega logo as mentioned above,) Its a very pretty movement though and I love display back watches anyway.

Here's the Gen Movement:

PC280014.jpg

And the Rep in detail:

Rail7.jpg

Rail8.jpg

Rail9.jpg

The Crown, hands and Dial are reproduced to perfection (not too hard on this watch methinks) The crown itself winds sturdily with a very pronounced 'click' compared to other movements like the 7750 or 2836-2.

The text on the dial is very good and crisp even under a 10x Macro lens (photos will follow later) The happy feet on the Omega Symbol are in this case, correct to the gen.

Rail4.jpg

Power reserve is about 36 hours, not as much as a noob sub but still good for what is basically a pocket watch with a strap. the Railmaster keeps time to within 4 seconds over 24 hours which also isn't bad at all!!

Rail5.jpg

The crown will be familiar to most people but like all the current Omega reps its very nicely made, crisply machined with good embossing and thoroughly polished.

Rail10.jpg

Anyway Hope you enjoyed this much shorter review!!

gB.

...shorter review...? That was very thorough and not brief at all. Great job! And nice watch. Wear it well, and I look forward to seeing it in the wrist check weekly threads!

GC

Wonderful review on a watch I have thought about getting many many times!

It looks spot on to the Gen... I really like it.

Superb photog again skathe, my favorite shot... all of them!

narikaa

All time classic

Great rep

Missing from the 'scene' for a while

But

Why they now choose to leave off the gold stickers off the movement is beyond me

Ska

Do you think there would be any way of getting hold of stickers and adding them manually?

For me it would just complete this watch.

oscarmadfish

great review i really must get a railmaster

wat44

the railmaster comes in two sizes:

too big and too small

Silverspeed

Lovely watch the Railmaster :blink:

great review

Baldrick

Great review Ska, and luuverrly pics, as mooted, this should be a sticky,B)

The Railmaster IS a suoer-rep, no question about it, it doesn't wear as big as it suggests off the wrist, out of the box lume is excellent and AFAIK, the Unitas 6498-2 pocket watch movement hasn't been repped yet, they should be genuine Unitas ebauches, which are exactly the same as Omega use, I know in the early ones thay were gen Swiss Unitas mov'ts, Jeremy Clarkson can be seen sporting one :blink:

Here it is withe applied logos on the bridge plates, if they had engraved the logos, it would be identical to the gen, I have one in Rose Gold, adding a good aftermarket strap really livens it up !

264OMEGARAILMASTERXXLB.jpg

264OMEGARAILMASTERXXL8.jpg

Proper engravings should look like this, if you could find someone to engrave the bridge plates and replace with bevelled edge gears, apart from the different bridge plate shapes, you'd have the same watch as genuine.!

orig.jpg

This lume shot is of the smaller 43mm Railmaster, but serves as an example of the larger XXL, lume is identical on both watches.

RAILMASTER02A-1.jpg

pollux1

Excellent review Ska, you'll have to do more of them, this should be a sticky in the review section IMO.

Ska

Thanks very much guys and AMAZING shots as usual Balders! I think we might have to have a chat about photography some time as I would kill to take pics like that!

I'm trying to put together a list of criteria in order to standardise my reviews. This will be accompanied by a standard set of photos/angles etc every time so that one watch can be meaningfully compared to both the gen and other reps in terms of quality, size, lume and finish etc.

Here's my list so far I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Review Checklist:

1. Bracelet and Clasp

• SEL

• Springbars/Pins

• Fit and weight

• Clasp Accuracy

• Build Quality

2. The Dial and Hands

• Dial Accuracy

• Font accuracy and quality of reproduction

• Subdial Position

• Date Window position and Accuracy

• Length/Shape of Hands

• Quality of Lume application

• Markers

3. The Crystal and AR coating

• Crystal material

• Height and Shape

• Crystal positioning and installation

• Cyclops

• AR Coating

4. Lume

• Colour

• Accuracy

• Brightness

5. Weight compared to gen

6. Bezel and Case

• Height and DIameter compared to gen

• Fit and finish

• Case Back

• Bezel fit, and rotation

• Bezel markers

• Rehaut Height/Angle

7. Crown and Pushers

• quality of crown machining/casting

• Tube/Stem thread

• O-rings/seals

• Winding response.

8. Official Markings accuracy

• Etching/Machining versus Gen

• Quality of text

• Position of markings

• Serial Numbers

• Rehaut Markings

• Case Back markings (Exterior and Interior)

• Anti-Counterfeit markings/Holograms

9. Details peculiar to model.

• HE Valves,

• Crown guards

• Chrono

• Day/Date

• Moonphase

• Power Reserve Indicator

10. Movement

• Swiss/Asian

• Quality

• Tourbillon?

• OEM engravings?

• Rotor

11. Time Keeping Accuracy and Power Reserve

Once this list is complete I'll modify my existing reviews to conform to it and every following review will be true to the format.

graman

Great work Ska!

Love it!

The railmaster is one of my favourites...Love that watch!

maybe after you want to discard it after you fall deeply in love with your gold navi, you should give me a call ;)

I'll take it! :(

Seriously good review mate...I like the photo template idea too..

mrtepax

another wonderful review from skathe!!! you should do it as a job

Baldrick
Thanks very much guys and AMAZING shots as usual Balders! I think we might have to have a chat about photography some time as I would kill to take pics like that!

Harvested shots Ska, harvested :(

greg_r

Gorgeous watch, skathe. On my list... :(

roshim

The glass is mineral and not sapphire, is that correct?

watchguy23

Eyeing this as my first rep purchase. Great reviews and pics!

Ska

@ roshim - no the glass is sapphire, there is a cheaper mineral version available too though.

Luthier

Scared to post wrist shot?

:)

roshim
@ roshim - no the glass is sapphire, there is a cheaper mineral version available too though.

At Mary's?

How can you tell the difference between the mineral and the sapphire?

How much you paid for it?

Ska

there is a wristie somewhere floating about luth. I'll have to post another one.

Oh and roshim - mineral glass, especially when domed like on the Railmaster tends to distort slightly as the viewing angle is increased relative to the dial. Sapphire doesn't do that. - Also, Mary sells one with sapphire and one with mineral. I bought the one with sapphire and dealers don't come more trustworthy than Mary.

roshim
there is a wristie somewhere floating about luth. I'll have to post another one.

Oh and roshim - mineral glass, especially when domed like on the Railmaster tends to distort slightly as the viewing angle is increased relative to the dial. Sapphire doesn't do that. - Also, Mary sells one with sapphire and one with mineral. I bought the one with sapphire and dealers don't come more trustworthy than Mary.

Thanks ska!

Helpful as always!

I need to check with Mary if she can supply one like yours.. (I hope).

blomstergutt

I just got mine from Mary. It is humongeous, but its also beautiful, and I love it.

I want to extend a warm thanks to Mary at this point. For all newbs, this one you can trust!!

czmilosz

I just ordered one of these from Mary.

My Seamaster AquaTerra from her showed up yesterday. Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Can't wait for the biggun to show up!