Sign in to follow this  
Technojunkie

New Noob LMPO - Help & Advice On SS Strap

Technojunkie

So today after just seven days of waiting for delivery my new Noob Omega LMPO arrived. I am very happy with the overall quality and even the markers seemed to be reasonably well aligned so all good in my book. By the way, that's not in the watch, I just didn't make a good job of cleaning the glass.

IMG_2291_zpsbffa5b66.jpg

IMG_2297_zps4d2a5020.jpg

However, the strap was a little too large so I removed a pin (see pics) but found it impossible to remove any more. Rather than struggle and risk damaging the watch I decided to put the strap back together again but have found that the pin will no longer retain the link and the strap just keeps falling apart. There's no damage to the pin but it will just not hold the link together.

LMPO3_zps561337ed.jpg

LMPO4_zpsc9d60aa7.jpg

Has anyone else had experiences with this strap that could please advise if I'm either doing something wrong or just need a new pin ! It's very frustrating as I now have a lovely new watch that I can't wear.

Thanks in advance for any helpful/advice and a very Merry Christmas to you all.

Edited by Technojunkie

dingle

bump for our Omega owners to help :)

Technojunkie

bump for our Omega owners to help :)

Thanks for the bump Dingle :-)

Wriggles

Don't own one but amazing how many threads and info you find with a couple of second search.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=40325

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=30600

Firstly best to have the right tools for the job, some bracelets are a pain in the ass even with the right tools. My Seiko Monster bracelet comes to mind. No end of grief with that one

With some very brief reading it sounds like you are probably not seating the pins fully when replacing the link, you need to push in correctly according to the arrow direction (assuming you pushed out the correct way in the first place if not then maybe there's been some damage) and then use a pin pusher or something similarly small and pointy(!) to make sure they're completely sunk in, as opposed to just flush with the link outside edge.

Quote from one of the threads linked : "The links on this model have handy arrows to let you know from which side to push the pins. Pushing the pins out with the pin-pusher tool (sic) was incredibly smooth and easy and none of the tubes came out like with the last one."

So there's probably some tubes involved as well

That would be my first suggestion, other than that if it doesn't help someone else might have more ideas but my best advice in all situations is search and read!

This link may also be useful...http://www.pmwf.com/...20Bracelets.htm

Technojunkie

Thank you for the post Imibcn.

I have several pin removal tools and, considering I've read that people have had problems removing the pins from this bracelet, I was surprised at how easily it came apart. The strange thing is that it wasn't the pin I was pushing that came free, but the small piece with the two holes seen in the picture which just popped off the opposite end to where I was applying pressure. Both the pin and the link with the retained pin remained in the bracelet but were both easily removed as they both moved freely once the end piece with two holes had popped off.

Having now had time to inspect the bracelet more closely, I think the pin on the right (picture three above) moves freely whereas, the bottom link with the fixed pin is gently "hammered" into the opposite link. I haven't yet tried to prove this theory as I still need to remove another pin in order to re-size the bracelet so that my wife can then wrap the watch for my Christmas present.

Wriggles

Sorry but can't give anything else to help, don't have one of these, looks similar to the breitling links, which are also a bit of a pain as they are three pieces across.

I would expect the part link with the attached pin, and the loose pin both need to be pressed into the part link with two holes.

It may have fallen off easily because it wasn't assembled well in the first place. It may just be poor tolerances. Common issue with rep bracelets, many a pin has come loose for no apparent reason. You may have avoided a nasty accident by finding that early during bracelet resizing.

Worth checking out the others to see if there are any other loosies in the bunch, and loctite them with loctite thread locker just in case.

I always have a solid piece of wood or plastic to rest bracelets against, then hammer the pins in the other side with a plastic hammer. Then a pin pusher to sink them fully

Works in most cases but many bracelets are still a pain even at that

Technojunkie

Thanks again Imibcn for your help and advice.

The end of the attached pin on the part link is elongated and serrated so I'm assuming this needs to be gently tapped in with a plastic hammer (which I have) in order to secure the bracelet. The other (upper) pin seems to be "free standing" but, once I have the bottom pin secure, Ill try giving it a tap with a pin pusher.

Edited by Technojunkie

El_Cabong56

Bracelet came apart in the exact same spot (the half link) on my V5. Mine stayed in one piece after putting it back together, but you could try a tiny bit of Loctite if it keeps separating. Those pins are a huge pain in the ass. Good luck!

Technojunkie

I'm reluctant to use Loctite at this early stage as the bracelet will need taking apart again for resizing as it's too big. However, all I want to do at the moment is get it back together again.

I've made several more attempts this morning of fixing the link but it will just not stay together. How difficult can it be ????

I'm sure there must be someone that has taken this bracelet apart before and could kindly tell me how the links are retained/locked.

Having received the watch so promptly, this really is a very frustrating problem and I now wish I'd left the bracelet well alone.

Another picture to show how it's supposed to fit back together. The end piece moves freely on both pins so there seems no way of retaining it on the strap !

LMPO5_zps2160f8f4.jpg

Edited by Technojunkie

Andym7777

The happened to me too. It has nothing to do with tools or anything else. That half link is flawed. The pin that looks serrated or grooved is not supposed to come out at all. It makes that link pivot on both sides unlike the others which only pivot on one. Take the other pin out (the one that has to be pressed through) then put some loc-tight on the grooved pin and put it back on the bracelet. Make sure you get the two sides straight and that you put the 1/2 link back on in the right place. Once you put loctight on it there's no going back.

Then you can press any of the other pins out that have arrows on them with the usual tools and resize it.

I have not had any problems since then and love the watch.

onionbag

That link is now damaged and can only be used if a small amount of glue is dabbed on the end of the pin that fits into the blind hole.

The other pin is the removable one, the link came apart due to excessive force used whilst removing(ask me how I know this) ;)

These bracelets use a pin and tube system to hold the links together using friction...........see here.

http://watchpart.co....-c-103_485.html

The tube fits into the central link and the full length pin slips thru' it.

Andym7777

It may not have had anything to do with force. On mine that grooved link just popped apart in my hand. Loc-tight fixed it. I can't get it apart now even if I try.

onionbag

It may not have had anything to do with force. On mine that grooved link just popped apart in my hand. Loc-tight fixed it. I can't get it apart now even if I try.

I'll qualify my statement...........In my case I used too much force.

In the OP's case (and your's) it may have been shitey Chinese manufacturing techniques. :lol:

Technojunkie

Thank you for the posts. Certainly makes me feel better knowing it's not something I've done and that other people have had similar experiences.

I certainly didn't use too much force and, as stated in my previous post, I was surprised how easily it came apart and can now understand exactly what happened. The fixed link came apart and the pin that was supposed to push through the link stayed where it was ! Now knowing that the serrated pin is supposed to be fixed, I'll be happy to put some Loctite on it to keep it that way.

Having carefully studied the "removable" pin, I can't see how on earth it's supposed to go through the link as it has a larger diameter in the middle with two raised ridges !

I've sent an email to the TD kindly asking if there's any possibility of getting a few spare links just in case I have the problem again sometime in the future.

AndyM7777, how did you manage to push the pin through the link as I have tried several times with a "lot of force" without success ? I gave up in the end as I didn't want to damage the bracelet.

Thanks again for the posts.

Edited by Technojunkie

Andym7777

I don't think the one you are trying to remove is meant to be removed at all (no arrow = no remove). I pushed the regular (removeable) pins out with a regular $5 resizing tool. It didn't push them all the way out but I was able to pull them the rest of the way out with pliars but some people have gotten tools with extra long pins. It wasn't easy but not a big deal either.

I suggest you leave that pin where it is, put some loctite on the grooved one and press that link back together. That should get you back where you started but with a fixed 1/2 link. Then pick another link - one with an arrow on it - and remove that one. Push the pin out in the direction of the arrow.

Technojunkie

Thanks for the response Andym7777.

The pin I originally pushed was the first one above the half link and had an arrow below it so all ok on that front. I have a couple of different pin-pusher tools but, no matter how much pressure I exert on the pin, it will not budge. I'm wondering if a tap with a nylon hammer on the pin pusher may help ! Other than that, maybe I should invest in a decent pin extractor.

There seems to be a number of different types Loctite Threadlocker available. I was going order Loctite 243 from Amazon, is that ok ?

Thanks again.

Edited by Technojunkie

Andym7777

You're right, there is an arrow on that link but there should not be. It's a mistake. That link and pin is not removable which is why you can't get it out. You just need to reassemble the half link (with loctite) then pick a different pin on a different link to remove. They will push right out if they are meant to.

Technojunkie

You're right, there is an arrow on that link but there should not be. It's a mistake. That link and pin is not removable which is why you can't get it out. You just need to reassemble the half link (with loctite) then pick a different pin on a different link to remove. They will push right out if they are meant to.

The pin that has come out (the right one in the pic) doesn't actually hold anything together and just sits freely between the lugs of the link above the half link. Is this correct as, once I Loctite the half link back together, it will purely be the Loctite on the half link that is holding the two links together (hope that makes sense) !

I've tried some of the pins on different links and found them extremely tight. I have a number of different pin pushers but have not had any success with any of them. Is using a nylon hammer and pin pusher a step too far ? I've not tried it yet as I'm paranoid about damaging another pin/link !

Edited by Technojunkie

Andym7777

Once you put the half link back together it should be exactly like it was when you got it except for having loctite on the serrated/grooved pin that should not have come apart. After that and moving to a different pin with an arrow and pushing in the direction of the arrow I would not be afraid to tap use a hammer if that's what it took but I would keep trying with the resizing tool first unless it's just bending the pins on the tool no matter which link you try to remove. I think you are less likely to do damage with that than a hammer and the pins that come with the tools will usually bend before you break anything. I removed 4 pins and while it took a lot of pressure to get them started once they broke loose they just pushed right put. I used a regular $5 plastic resizing tool and bent a couple of pins in the process.

Technojunkie

Thanks for the additional info Andym7777. I'm going to give the strap a WD40 bath first as this should "hopefully" make removing further pins a little easier.

Technojunkie

Ok, so after managing to remove another pin from the bracelet, I removed a link and reassembled the bracelet using Loctite on the broken link pin. This worked a treat and the bracelet is now as good as new except that it's still too big. I therefore need to remove two more pins and a link but have not been able to remove any more pins as they are ridiculously tight, and impossible to remove (even with the right tools and a WD40 bath).

Can anyone who has successfully removed pins/link from the LMPO bracelet please tell me how you did it ????

cereal killer

I'm also having trouble with that pin, did you manage it in the end? I'd have said it is a removable link as it's the only half link on my bracelet so without it it being removable, the bracelet can't be re-sized to a nice fit.

Technojunkie

I found out that "apparently" the half link is NOT removable (although it should be IMO) and so I managed to get one of the links above it apart, took that out and reassembled the strap using some Loctite on "not removable" half link pin. Hope that makes sense !

cereal killer

I really can't see why that link wouldnt be removable.

I tried to get it off myself but the pin was ridiculously tight so its currently at a watch smiths... hopefully they have better luck. If so, I'll report back.

Technojunkie

I really can't see why that link wouldnt be removable.

I tried to get it off myself but the pin was ridiculously tight so its currently at a watch smiths... hopefully they have better luck. If so, I'll report back.

I contacted the TD I'd purchased the watch from after I'd managed to remove (and broken) that link and was told that it was NOT a removable link, even though it had an arrow on it !