Sign in to follow this  
Ttrm007

Bought a Gen - Functional!

Ttrm007

Well, I added a VERY FUNCTIONAL and affordable gen to my collection of mostly reps. Normally, I go for the automatics / classic watches. Submariner, Tag, JL, etc...

This time, I changed directions completely. I know, kind of like a G-shock. Go ahead and poke fun! I wanted a chrono that could provide 1/100th accurcy to time my daughter's races. Bought a Casio Edifice EQS500. The list of functions basically amazes me for what I paid. They have other models that will time to 1/1000 but I like the world time features of this one and only need 1/100.

http://image.trucktr...fice-EQS500.jpg

Here is a short list:

• Jetski waterproof!
  • 1/100th Chrono
  • Alarm
  • World time - select city from dial and it displays on dual time zone hands
  • Solar powered
  • Daylight savings time

Watch is pretty attractive and does a lot for 130.00 USD brand new. Totally different that my normal favorites but I think I will get a lot of use out of it at the lake!

mn9500

actually looks pretty good. nice pickup. at least you dont have to worry about the waterproofing lol

Pharmo
casio-edifice-EQS500.jpg

Ttrm007

Thanks. Flyback chrono that does a rotation per second is kind of mesmerizing too.

greg_r

The Edifice range is damn good quality for not a lot of dough. Can't go wrong there...

Martinjogs

Nice sports watches the G-Shocks - this Ediface looks tough and as you say functional.

What does your daughter do that needs time to 100ths?

I only ask on account of previous experience as an athletics timekeeper, we used to employ multiple judges to average out 10ths of a second - human eye hand coordination isn't really accurate even down to the 10ths.

Wriggles

The Edifice range is damn good quality for not a lot of dough. Can't go wrong there...

+1

964boy

very smart

dingle

congrats mate :)

Ttrm007

Nice sports watches the G-Shocks - this Ediface looks tough and as you say functional.

I only ask on account of previous experience as an athletics timekeeper, we used to employ multiple judges to average out 10ths of a second - human eye hand coordination isn't really accurate even down to the 10ths.

She is primarily a hurdler and also a sprinter. Many races are won by hudredths of a second and I certainly agree with you that human error can come into play. Fortunately, most meets have electronic timing systems. I just like to have my OWN time. Any excuse for a new watch, right?!

Martinjogs

She is primarily a hurdler and also a sprinter. Many races are won by hudredths of a second and I certainly agree with you that human error can come into play. Fortunately, most meets have electronic timing systems. I just like to have my OWN time. Any excuse for a new watch, right?!

Excellent - just love T&F and the hurdles in particular. My event back in the day was 400m hurdles, so no need for 100ths, in fact for me a calendar would have sufficed. Electronic timing is amazing, I think the Olympics now does down to 1000ths for the sprints. Anyway, great watch and good luck to your daughter in her T&F ambitions!

alexf718

Great looking watch. Can't beat its functionality. Enjoy!

nyckid

A very nice watch, indeed. Just a tad busy for me :)

Wear it well :)

Monty010

That's a lot of watch :) enjoy it mate.

nunu78

Love it, i love casio g shocks and edifice.

RichardMiami

wear it in good health! :D

patooo

Thought I'd hate this but it looks damn good..... Saw it in reality and it's pretty cool even though in a classic watch fan.... Well picked!

George.

Looks better than a hublot

Marginally

:giggle:

dmorgan4309

Kinda like a G-shock sure, but it's way better! Nice pick up

ShovelnTC

Great watch, I'm going to recommend this to a buddy who is looking for something suitable for kayaking.

Daywatch

Great buy, that GMT display solution is good with that small extra clock and the functionality You mentioned by just rotating to the city.... great just now that I was looking for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic.... Quote from the review here on rwg: "The one obvious faux/fantasy feature is the 10 o'clock timezone set wheel. This crown will rotate the timezone / major city wheel visible below the 6 o'clock position on the face. Unlike the gen, this is not connected in any such manner to the secondary timezone. At just under $200USD, that would be a bit much to ask and the added complications on a rep would certainly be dubious in quality and longevity."

So add function to waterproofness and price.... in the 400 usd range reps will have to get better not only in great looks to keep up with the pace.

Ttrm007

I actually have the JL Master Geographic too! I really love that watch. It looks clasic and really gives me the dual time zone fuction I need. True, the complication at 6:00 does not SET the second time zone but it is actually quite useful to KNOW what timezone you have your secondary time set to.

For most people (at least me and that is who counts :), there is only one secondary time zone that really matters. I do business with people in one other country and it is great to at a glance know what time it is there. Once I have the second time zone set, I never change it anyway.

Thanks for the comments. After wearing for a week or so, I really do like the watch. It looks good enough and is always set right!

My rolex sub arived today from the shop so looking forward to getting a 'real' rep back on my wrist though!

FuzzyCoyote

I do have a soft spot for the White GShock.....

To be honest I prefer these to a Rolex.... I just don't have that draw to them....