GC

The Rolex Saga...The Myth

GC

The myth

The Watch Quoteâ„¢ - February 20th, 2004

Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

In 1985, G. Agnelli was shown wearing a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph on the front cover of an Italian magazine. That one simple photo sparked an unstoppable reaction in all four corners of the world.

For the general public, the modern myth of the ROLEX is built on the near-impossibility of attaining a steel DAYTONA from any brand dealer. (Even if your order is accepted, the waiting list can be seven years or longer).

Re-sale prices reached the dizzy heights of 12,000 euros for some recent models listed in the Rolex catalogue at 6,000 euros, and up to 30,000 euros for steel models with specific dials from the 1960s or 1970s, such as the Paul Newman versions.

For years, while money was easier to come by, buyers were constantly outbidding each other. The Stock Exchange was booming. Among the new elite, steel models eclipsed the solid gold that was Rolex in the glory days of the 1970s.

The predilection for steel saved the brand from a backlash to its image which, after years of exploding sales, particularly on the golf circuit,

was perceived to be ostentatious.

In Europe, at this time, Rolex underwent a pronounced decline while, for enthusiastic buyers in Asia and Africa, the market for gold jewel watches was being developed.

After a problematic beginning, the Daytona adventure not only renewed the interest in a new model, it also enabled the brand to regain its popularity among clientele.

History

Hans Wilsdorf was born in Kulmbach, Bavaria, on March 22, 1881.

1900, he settled at La Chaux-de-Fonds where he did clerical work for a watch exporter.

In 1903, he left to work in London. Soon after, in 1905, he founded a wholesale watch business, WILSDORF AND DAVIS, signing a contract in Bienne with AEGLER, to guarantee them distribution of watches under their name in England.

The name ROLEX (an abbreviation of the French phrase “horlogerie exquiseâ€) dates from 1908. AEGLER watches were checked by the watch test service in Bienne, and their movements were double-checked at the Kew Observatory in England.

The Aegler company was renamed the ROLEX WATCH CO. AEGLER S.A. in 1914.

Wilsdorf transferred world exports to Bienne to thwart the British Government, who had imposed an import tax of 33.3% to finance the Great War.

He founded MONTRE ROLEX S.A. in Geneva in 1920.

The movements were made in Bienne. ROLEX assembly, testing and sales were in Geneva.

To improve the water resistance of wristwatches, Wilsdorf registered a patent for a case with

screw-down winding crown in 1926.

On 17 October 1927, the typist Mercedes Gleitze swam the English Channel in 15hrs. 15mins. wearing a ROLEX OYSTER.

In 1931, thanks to the talents of the technician Emil Borer, Wilsdorf presented an automatic permanent rotor winder, the ROLEX PERPETUAL. He retained the exclusive rights, and prohibited the automatic movement’s use by any competitor for the next fifteen years.

In 1945, ROLEX unveiled the DATEJUST, the first automatic water-resistant chronometer wristwatch with date viewer.

In 1953, the SUBMARINER, the first diver’s watch, water-resistant to 100 meters, was launched. This model put Rolex into orbit.

The same year, Mount Everest was conquered. All of the team led by Sir John Hunt were equipped with OYSTER PERPETUAL chronometers.

In 1954, ROLEX launched the GMT-MASTER.

In 1956, DAY-DATE, first wrist chronometer showing the day of the week in 25 languages, was launched.

On 6 July 1960, Hans Wilsdorf died in Geneva. He left his successors a thriving business, multi-billion profits, and the biggest consumer of gold in Switzerland.

Professor Jacques Picard attached a ROLEX OYSTER, with specially reinforced case to his bathyscaphe. The TRIESTE attained 10,916 meters in the Pacific Ocean with no damage.

In 1971, the immersion record for the SEA-DWELLER 2000 was attained at 2000 feet (610 meters.)

In 1980, a new record of immersion for the SEA-DWELLER 4000 at 4000 feet (1220 meters.)

In 2000, introduction of new DAYTONA chronograph/chronometer now manufactured entirely within the factory, and not using modified Zenith/el Primero movements.

Introduction of new platinum and gold version of the DAY-DATE.

2001, new LADY-DATEJUST in platinum and gold.

2003, for its 50th anniversary, ROLEX issued a commemorative version of the SUBMARINER, with green lunette, reference 16610LV.

ROLEX produces around 600,000 officially certified chronometers every year.

greg_r

:clap:

sticky.jpg

GC

thank you, I consider myself a master of copy and paste!!!

speedzmaster

sticky.jpg

That danish is smiling at me. :wacko:

greg_r
:(

thank you, I consider myself a master of copy and paste!!!

;)

ghognrg

Thank you for your post!

Balad1

Good read bro:)

1littlegreen

+1 Love the education I am receiving here. Thanks guys!!

greg_r

Thank you for your post!

Thank you for fucking off and dying, you towering sack of festering shite. Banned you 6 or 7 times now - when are you going to figure out that you're not going to get away with sneaking a link to your lame goatfuckers website in your sig?

toostupidgp8.jpeg

wat44

Btw, I believe the op is wrong about the origin of the name

jeffw69

tl;dr

Grimmi

Banned 6 or 7 times? Seriously.....

c89299e64bbb8d6b015b8754d233c3de_zps550d66b1.jpg

scorpion

Thank you for your post!

Thank you for fucking off and dying, you towering sack of festering shite. Banned you 6 or 7 times now - when are you going to figure out that you're not going to get away with sneaking a link to your lame goatfuckers website in your sig?

Thank you for your post!

toostupidgp8.jpeg

Maybe Greg you could make a sub forum just for "Goat fuckers" and goat lovers as there seems be quite a market for it and the Gulag is already over run with goat shit!!!

1%20laught%20LMFAO.gif

Edited by scorpion

bqt6937

:help3:

trailboss99

Why the fuck would you bump a 4 month old thread to a smilie? If I check and find thats all you have posted just to get to the M2M area I'm busting you back to 0 posts.

trailboss99

Yep, you did. You have had months to contribute something useful but nooooo, six POS posts in five minutes.

Back to 0 you go, try again and maybe a 'New Member" post first this time?

James.

:lmao:

elp

And I replied in his intro post (http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=69486) about how to get access to the M2M area as follows: "The Member's sales section will appear once you have 5 posts under your belt (make them quality posts, if you make them silly though the moderators will just reset your postcount down)"

So what does he do? Post a smiley in a 14-month old thread ....

Not only am I not endorsing this fuckwit's MENSA application, I ain't buying a paperclip from him, let alone a watch, assuming he doesn't spontaneously combust from his overheating pair of neurons in the next day or so.

docholiday08

Interesting read here. I saw a rollie today at bc clarks with that beautiful blue face. Thanks for the post!

again

My compliment

I'm italian and proud to read the name of Gianni Agnelli also in this great history

;)

Horace Derwent

Respect to Gianni, that was a GREAT italian....his style and understantment were legendary.

ygype9ug.jpg

Edited by Horace Derwent

Dr Yan

Putting your shirt on before your watch is usually ok.......but what's his problem???

Watch outside shirt cuff .......WTF!

If that's style then I ain't got none :rofl:

StayFleaky

Good read :Applause: