GC

The Rolex Saga...Submariner

Gooroo

I think the dates for the 16800 are incorrect. The 16800 was my first Sub, purchased in 1981. :)

aoobuy

Great information ,Rolex Fans

mat1094

One of the most timeless pieces.. ever?

franzyldn

very useful information and I do love this vintage pics :)

awesome

thanks for this post

Eddie1

very interesting,

Verve

Thanks for the informative post.

Do you have any information on when Rolex phased out the exposed/outer strap pin holes on the frame?

AirSan

Thank you for you work

Daffy

MMmmm. Ursula Andress. Mmmm.

Pausort

Really good post man. Love the history!

The astromaster

Does the 5513 have the 1530 movement?

GC
Does the 5513 have the 1530 movement?

Yes, or the 1570.

Ssymes007

Very interesting

sylhab03

Thanks for the information

GC
52 minutes ago, sylhab03 said:

Thanks for the information

You are welcome  ;)

Speedmaster92

Great post, I consider it the most iconic watch in (Rolex) history.

jsmm

think the dates for the 16800 are incorrect. The 16800 was my first Sub, purchased in 1981. :)

thsats what i was going to say:bananarider:

Beau7816
On 18/07/2010 at 08:11, GC said:

The Saga of the Submariner

Anatomy of a phenomenonal passion

The Watch Quoteâ„¢ - February 20th, 2004

18261.jpg

In the early 1950s, ROLEX started work on watches to meet the most demanding and complex technical and professional requirements. Half a century later, the Submariner is still among the surest values in horology, a magic timepiece that we all dream of owning or collecting. Like us, you ladies have long since fallen under its spell, and we all know why.

Discover the history of the most coveted: the most copied and the most envied watch of all time. When you say ROLEX, you’re talking SUBMARINER.

The Submariner was first revealed in 1953

and went on show to the public as reference 6204

at the Basle Fair in Spring 1954

At that time, few watch lovers foresaw the fantastic future ahead of this new ROLEX. Essentially intended for those involved in extreme sports and dangerous professions, the watch didn’t conform to the prevalent standards of elegance at all, and yet…

rolexSubmariner6205.gif

The 6200 had a variant of the dial produced only for the English market, named the Explorer. There is no SUBMARINER inscription and the hours are in Arab figures, in gold for 3, 6 and 9. The winding crown, measuring 8mm, was initially marked Brevet, and was the prototype for the future TRIPLOCK with three points, produced for 18 months between 1956 and 1958. This series still has the original lunette with the red triangle. The bigger winding crown was introduced to make it easier to use while wearing gloves.

rolexSubmariner6200.gif

rolexBrevet.gif

ROLEX adopts the caliber 1030.

rolexSubmariner6536.gif

In 1956, ROLEX unveiled the SUBMARINERS 6536 and 6538, which can be found with caliber A296 as well as caliber 1030 (bi-directional winding rotor). The first version of the 6538 still has a rounded back of the Bubble-back type. The second version of the 6538 is distinguished by its more imposing case and the 8mm winding crown, as well as for the new caliber 1030. This model is known as the 6538A. The triangle of the lunette can be red (as for the English 6200). Its maximum depth limit is 660feet/200 meters, compared to 330 feet/100meters for the 6536. Models of caliber 1030 have their own reference: 6536-1. Adopting the caliber 1030 enabled higher precision, and from the end of 1958 we start to find 6538s carrying the inscription OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER on the dial. These models usually have hours and inscriptions in gold (depth indicator and chronometer in white). They remained in production throughout 1960

17102.gif

Superlative Officially Certified Chronometer

rolexSubmariner5510.gif

In 1958, ROLEX introduced the references 5510 and 5508.The 5510 (produced until 1962) was simply a modified version of the reference 6538. You can find the 5510 with calibers 1530 or 1520, which differ from one another only by the number of alternations per hour: 18,000 and 19,800. Dial with inscriptions in gold (generally without maximum depth indicator) and 8mm winding crown.

rolexSubmariner5508.gif

The new 5508 inherited the same case as the 6536, and was its direct descendant. Launched as 1030 caliber, it subsequently became 1530 caliber until production ceased in 1962. It can be found with white or gold inscriptions. It still has a 6mm winding crown without surround.

These models are often called the JAMES BOND, but the 6538 is the only reference that really merits this name.

007.gif

rolexSubmariner6538-007.gif

1960:

The Submariner 5512

rolexSubmariner5512plat.gif

The first modern model of the SUBMARINER, reference ROLEX 5512, came out in 1960 .

rolexSubmariner5512.gif

Characterized by a case that is almost identical to the one we know now, the 5512 had a large winding crown (8mm) with very pronounced surround and moletage. It comes in caliber 1530 and 1570. Production continued until 1977. Almost all the 5512s obtained the standard of chronometer. The usual dial has white inscriptions and indicators. However, there is a series that was produced for the US with the SUBMARINER inscription and depth indicator in gold.

rolexSubmariner5512-5513.gif

In 1962, the 5508 was replaced as basic model by the 5513, without the chronometer certificate. You can find it in the two calibers chosen for the 5512 (1530 and 1570). Examples also exist with inscriptions in gold. The first of these references have a winding with a very tapering surround (known as great horns). From the end of 1970, until production ceased in 1989, the hour indices are circled.

1965:

The Submariner 1680

17114.jpg

In 1965, with the SUBMARINER 1680, ROLEX introduced two brand new features.

The date: the new SUBMARINER 1680 incorporated a chimney-type Cyclops lens glued to the outside of the acrylic crystal for easy date reading. The 1680 (caliber 1570 and 1575) SUBMARINER stayed in production for longer than any other model, and is now prized by collectors.

1986:

The “Transition Submarinerâ€

17115.jpg

The first SUBMARINER with a sapphire crystal, the model 16800 was produced for just three years, between 1986 and 1989. With the16800, ROLEX also introduced other improvements from the new SEA-DWELLER: 30350 caliber, safety lunette and index in gobelets. The maximum depth increased to 1000 feet/300 meters, and a version in gold and steel was launched with the reference 16803.

1989:

Contemporary Submariners

rolexSubmariner16610.gif

The present caliber 3135 model 16610 appeared in 1989. It is also available in gold and steel, 16613, and 18 carat gold 16618.

As for the SUBMARINER with no date, the 5513 came to the end of production in 1989, replaced by the present reference 14060 with sapphire crystal.

Superb piece of history.  You may also like the historical link attached as a reference through the years at www.timeline.watch

pixwatch

Great read, thanks

MarkR

Very interesting, and enjoyed looking at these model styles, thank you for info!

yllekp

Posts like this lead to obsessions like this.

Don't mind the two SDs. 

JgHeKlF.jpg

4H6KmWd.jpg

r2JIHSQ.jpg

L3PNWhl.jpg

Modded 6538, work done by @NCRich. Helenarou big_dazza modded dial.

tNoApOl.jpg6hylkan.jpg

Modded 5512.

z2XwzZm.jpgBdM94fz.jpg

Franken 5513 built by @tripdog

FBtXq6u.jpgUnuIsGR.jpg

Franken TC 16610LV V6 originally built by BK

Bw3tZvo.jpgMLI4zKQ.jpg

I guess you would call this a SuperFranken 16803 built by my watchnaker.

ivwv8y5.jpgAY0kNqs.jpg

16618 no idea who made it, it has a nice little 2836 inside. This was given to me by some kind members on RWI.

FRDa80i.jpgCONutjt.jpg

Now the Ceramics.

My first sub ever the Noob V2/ V5/ V5.1/ V6 No Date 114060 depending on which dealer or member you talk to. I just think of it as the one before the V6s.

P7wLJON.jpgavfnXVF.jpg

Hulk Noob V6s 116610LV, this may receive one or two mods. I have had too many Hulks but I have decided to keep this one.

mAXfyyV.jpgg8T7GLd.jpg

I like my Sunburst dials so here are two fantasy 116610s. Kindly given to me by @rwatch0 .

BVdxDAU.jpg76CcsaO.jpga1L9H02.jpg

Retina

@yllekp that is one badass collection my friend :drool: I still go back to my vintage watch pieces like a plague, they seem so perfect for any occasion. Though my Pam 111 has been seeing more wrist time as of late. I’m glad I didn’t drop 6 grand on a gen. It’s still going strong after 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hasel5

Agree a superb collection well jel

47153f74d20561a99801619d38f09008.jpg
only have a few

thorin

the history timeline post was exceptional

Khronos
9 minutes ago, thorin said:

the history timeline post was exceptional

You couldn't have said it any better, you're so right.

Chixisigma

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have received QC pics. I am a little concerned  for the 5 digit from '50' on the bezel. I want to be fair to the TD and wondered if this was a fair reason to reject? Struggling to post a pic but looks smudged!

Any opinions welcome

Chi