Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: Fake TNF (The North Face)

JohnG

I stumbled across some listings on eBay of The North Face Summit jackets. The deals seemed too good to be true. I googled, and most of this stuff is fake and this particular listing is, following some guides to tags, logos, etc... that I found. But some people said that some of the fake stuff is decent, even using real Gortex at times, though lacking taped seams, etc...

I am tempted to try it out - $80 is what most of these jackets can be had for (and there are TONS listed). I can afford to lose that even if it is a total piece of shit. Or perhaps I will wait for a deal on a second hand gen. I am in no hurry but I confess I love their shit. I have gen day pack and gen hiking shoes. Very nice designs, durable, quality stuff.

Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Mens-The-north-fa...A1%7C240%3A1318

974c_1.JPG

sconehead

The kids wear these as fashion accessories here at the moment, so I guess they'd be alright for them. If you go hiking etc. I can't see the fakes being up to the job personally John... :lol:

JohnG
The kids wear these as fashion accessories here at the moment, so I guess they'd be alright for them. If you go hiking etc. I can't see the fakes being up to the job personally John... :lol:

I just want something for the rain and with an inner liner so that I can wear it when it is somewhat cold out too...

I will probably just wait though for something nice second hand. There is no hurry....

iabounty

EVERYTHING is made in China these days, you know that john......... Make them an offer on multiple items including shipping and handling........ Make them play YOUR game........

JohnG
EVERYTHING is made in China these days, you know that john......... Make them an offer on multiple items including shipping and handling........ Make them play YOUR game........

Yeah, I know a lot of gen TNF items are made in China and most are made in Asia generally. And I don't mind buying copies, just want real Gortex and don't want it to leak. If it was a good rep I would buy, but if it is crap I don't want it. I read on thenorthfaceguru.com (yeah, there is a forum for the North Face fraks :lol: ) they say the copies suck but they sound a lot like the guys at TZ. I am sure SOME suck, even MOST suck, but there could well be good copies...

I just got an idea - since they sellers (there are multiple sellers of this item, all in Japan, all with no feedback) are new, and probably disappear as fast as they get reported by the guru.com guys, I am going to copy down the names of these guys - their id's. Then I will check in a month to see what feedback they got on the items they managed to sell before they got kicked out. That way, if they really are crap I will see the feedback. If the buyers are happy but they are getting busted after being reported by the counterfeit police, I will buy... It must be one guy, always the same item, allways Japan, allways free shipping OR $20 shipping but with a $20 lower opening bid...

trailboss99

Dunno mate. Rep jackets are rarely any where near as good as the gen. Gortex in a rep jacket? That's a gamble. Consider an

Abercrombie & Fitch gen instead. Kenberg has either the real thing from out the back door or somthing that is so close it doesn't matter for $125 and the gens are hardly super expensive.

Mmmmm, Abercrombie & Fitch . . .

af8wn1.jpg

af2df2.jpg

af1ax7.jpg

af11xn6.jpg

Col.

JohnG
Dunno mate. Rep jackets are rarely any where near as good as the gen. Gortex in a rep jacket? That's a gamble. Consider an

Abercrombie & Fitch gen instead. Kenberg has either the real thing from out the back door or somthing that is so close it doesn't matter for $125 and the gens are hardly super expensive.

Mmmmm, Abercrombie & Fitch . . .

af8wn1.jpg

af2df2.jpg

af1ax7.jpg

af11xn6.jpg

Col.

I have a couple of Carhart jackets so got that look covered. Wanted something good for day hikes and as rain gear, and sportier (not work gear like the Carhart).

There are reps with Goretex according to the guys at Thenorthfaceguru.com - it is mostly manufactured in China now anyway (they say) and is not that expensive anymore...

But I will probably just keep my eyes open for a nice used gen... but not for this winter - and summer is a good time to buy that shit - less demand = less bids = lower price...

trailboss99

Tru, most Gortex prob is made in CN now. It;s certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than years ago. I have a bivvy sack, sorta like a slightly oversized sleeping bag that you seal yourself and your bag into enableing your to sleep warm and dry allmost anywhere. When I bought mine twenty odd years ago it was near six hundred bucks, That was a mths wages then. I think the're down to about 100 now. Don't know if they last 20y anymore tho.

Aperantly, and this is just what I have been told, the problem with the rep jackets is that the seams on most are very badly done and with cheap thread instead of the propper stuff for Gortex so they leak. Zippers as well. Also unless sewen just right Gortex will rip. Even the stuff layered in between the outer and shell. Hey, don't get me wrong. For 80 bucks it's worth trying but don't get your hopes up. You can allways go flog it on greeks :wub:

Col.

JohnG
Tru, most Gortex prob is made in CN now. It;s certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than years ago. I have a bivvy sack, sorta like a slightly oversized sleeping bag that you seal yourself and your bag into enableing your to sleep warm and dry allmost anywhere. When I bought mine twenty odd years ago it was near six hundred bucks, That was a mths wages then. I think the're down to about 100 now. Don't know if they last 20y anymore tho.

Aperantly, and this is just what I have been told, the problem with the rep jackets is that the seams on most are very badly done and with cheap thread instead of the propper stuff for Gortex so they leak. Zippers as well. Also unless sewen just right Gortex will rip. Even the stuff layered in between the outer and shell. Hey, don't get me wrong. For 80 bucks it's worth trying but don't get your hopes up. You can allways go flog it on greeks :lol:

Col.

yeah, we need to figure out which are the "super" reps among the North Face reps...