Sign in to follow this  
J!m

Rolex 5517 to the 9's...

J!m

So I did a bunch of work today that would hardly go noticed unless I pointed it out at this point.

I tore the watch down completely, cleaned it well (several times) reshaped the crown guards (again) broke and replaced the crown tube, made the crown tube counterbore deeper so the tube sits in the case properly, cut the winding stem (too much) and then cut another one correctly. I also have a correctly sized case back gasket for this case now (six of them actually) so that is in as well. I poped in the new crystal (the -67) without any glue (so we'll see how dry it stays) but I have to mention that I can't tell much difference at all between the crystals...

1560repair001.jpg

1560repair002.jpg

The -66 is less popular and believed (by ofrei) to be original to the older watches. When this change may have happened, I have no idea. The -67 is what is considered the current T-19 crystal. I added the pictures because I think it may be easier to see the differences that way than in person. By the way, the crystal clarity is amazing- I know you guys like to see the edges of the dial distorted when looking at a very flat angle, but unless the light is reflecting off this, it looks like there is no crystal in there. Very high optical quality here.

And here is the fruits of the labor... Other than the crown position and the guards minor reshape, you'd never know I did anything to this watch (well, the new crystal looks nice.)

1560repair003.jpg

EDIT=> This is still the Eta movement inside. I need a dial and I am not toally happy with the fit of the Rolex movement in the case, but it will probably be fine...

Edited by J!m

myaz

...... broke and replaced the crown tube, made the crown tube counterbore deeper so the tube sits in the case properly, cut the winding stem (too much) and then cut another one correctly......

I can measure 5 times, cut once and still be off......I hate how that happens. Congrats on the final result.

J!m

I'm a bit mad at myself about the stem- I cut it such that the crown would be just clear of the threads for winding (which it is) but when you try to push the crown all the way home to wind position, there is too much resistance and the stem stays in setting position.

I think if I tear down and lube the keyless as well as the short stem properly (its all dry now) I think it will work, and also have a better overall feel. But, I'm just trying to get the case mechanically ready for the new (old) movement... This is a really nice watch as it is, and I am half tempted to just build up something else in the mean time... Maybe a 5512?

Edited by J!m

Kleen™

Building a grailwatch yourself. Thumbs UP, Bro!

J!m

Thank you!

The watch is pretty damn nice as it sits, so I am seriouslu considering building up a 5512 (Chronometer 5513) since I have the chronometer movement that would be correct (by my research) in a post 1965 5512... Talked to Yuki about a case (with twin lok tube) and dial and it is looking like the better part of $800.00 for those parts... I'd still need a bracelet and crown on top of that... Decisions...

Maybe get my Seamaster 300 case and bracelet ($1550) and complete that 100% gen watch project that has been sitting in my project drawer because there are no good rep cases and gen ones are so damn expensive.

I need a second job, or to sell a lot of other stuff.

JimmyV

My 5517 just came in from a TD on RWI. Looks good for the price but some tells esp the minute hand lume is not pointed. Anyways can not wait to start modding and giving it a nice vintage look.

wdev

Very interesting read! Thanks for posting. Did you go for a Yuki dial on this build?

J!m

My 5517 just came in from a TD on RWI. Looks good for the price but some tells esp the minute hand lume is not pointed. Anyways can not wait to start modding and giving it a nice vintage look.

I noticed a lot of the 5517's have a regular rolex minute hand with the square tip lume.

If you are planning a re-lume, and are really steady, you could attempt to make the lume slot pointed... I had considered this after my "sucess" with reshaping my seconds hand.

J!m

Very interesting read! Thanks for posting. Did you go for a Yuki dial on this build?

This is the original dial to the rep, which originally had a rep 2824 movement inside. So, the dial pins fit my low-beat Eta movement perfectly. The dial is not great, and the lume is accurate in that it does not glow hardly at all (as a 70's vintage watch would) but the printing is a bit weak. Unless you have a loupe and/or a comparison genuine 5517, it looks quite good.

J!m

Update: My crown tube broke yesterday. I am thinking I got a bad batch of them, so I am planning to contact the supplier and see if they had other complaints on these. The first one breaking while I was trying to remove it is one thing; however this second one broke while I was wearing the watch- I wasn't even fiddling with the crown at the time...

Looks like it will be torn town yet again.... I will add a dial spacer as I think this will align the stem more perfectly with the tube bore, but that is not why this tube broke. I think the OD and ID machining are too deep, leaving a wall that is too thin... These were not cheap tubes either.

J!m

New tube is in; (Third time's the charm?) and it is running and looking good.

I got a 5513 case, back, (SWEET) dial and bezel assembly (the bezel assembly is not that great, although the case is) so this 5517 is going to stay how it is now- DONE.

I think I will start a new thread on the 5512 assembly... Eventually... Collecting more parts...

George.

This is a great saga, i truly hope you get what you want out of this

J!m

I've got a very nice 5517 rep, with Swiss Eta low-beat movement (NOS 2879 with day and date wheels removed), tested shower-proof and looking and working sweetly. I can spend a lot of money to make it just a little bit better...

The 5512 will be a fun project. It is a pretty rare watch since most people went for the cheaper 5513 when they were both available. I'm going to start a new thread on that now I guess...

Today's wrist shot:

Febwristshot.jpg

Edited by J!m

JimmyV
:drool: I love it. If only mine looked like that with the correct sword hands. One day I will eventually get there :giggle:

J!m

Well.. The minute hand is a bit long, but has the correct shape overall. I think a LV minute hand with modified lume arear (made pointed) would (maybe) be a better fit.

The seconds hand I had to hand shape- the one all the reps use is the Seamaster 300 seconds hand (but not painted white) so the tail is too long. I bobed the tail on mine and also cut the straight tip and sharpened the tip to a point. Not 100% accurate, but closer than it was...

I have some 5517 replacement hands but they only fit Rolex movements.

J!m

Keeping this tread alive with continued work on this...

I do wear is quite often, so I have managed to damage it again. This time I dented the crap out of the insert, poping it out, but it is so mangled now I can't use it. I had to use one I had for sale (currently not available!!) and transplant it in here.

I also discovered the bezel retainer ring is a bit tall in the center, so it was putting too much presure on the underside of the insert. Naturally I had to fix this by hand-lapping the retainer down a bit on 400 and 1200 paper on glass. Seems OK now...

I also super-glued the insert to the bezel, because I keep poping them out, even when snapped in firmly. Finally, I added a drop of super glue to the top of the pearl, to give it a small acrylic dome over the lume blob. It is drying now but loks sweet so far...

One pic- I'll post another wrist shot once it is all dry and back together again.

watch006-1.jpg

Markrfc

Hi J!m were did you get your bezel insert from?

J!m

The (now destroyed) insert came from an ebay seller "wholesaleoutlet990" who has a good collection of replacement Rolex parts. Rep is not the right term as they fit and function on gen watches, but are not Rolex branded.

I have bought crown tubes (good) and o-rings (not so good- go to ofrei for these) as well as that entire bezel assembly, which goes on and functions like the original.

The second (intact) insert came on a rep at some point and is on the watch now.

Here's the pic I forgot to upload all back together...

5517-newinsert001.jpg

Edited by J!m

Markrfc

Thanks thats were i purchased mine still waiting though.

George.

How's this developing?

J!m

It is basically done now. I decided to use the movement for a 5512 project (that is another thread).

Here's the latest pic of the 5517:

002.jpg

Conex

I guess you have to remember as well that alot of 5517s were modded with whatever parts were available at the time. That's what I love about them. So many of them are so different with different hands and crystals etc, I assume replaced due to damage in the field. Mine has just cleared customs so fingers crossed will have it in the next few days.

ShadyManc

Ordered a 5517 from TT today with a view to letting RA work his magic.

Thanks for sharing.

J!m

Yeah mine has a gen 703 crown, which is not "original" to the build, which would be a 702 for mid 70's. But I knew that.

The crown guards appear really short after I modded them but if I put a 702 on (and I do have one) they would look perfect for that crown. The guards end about 1/2 way up the 703 knurling as it is now.