Sign in to follow this  
milkingmike

which dealer is best?

onionbag

Remember, there are many who've spent $100's getting Domi's 3 jewel modification also.

A mod which he's no longer doing, checked yesterday. Don't know of anyone else offering similar so if you do chance a secs@6 and get a dud it will most likely become a paperweight. An expensive one

Thanks 'B' that's news to me.

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

I had a read up.... and i´m no longer buying a Daytona....... you may feel the same way after a read up.....

there are so many more accurate stunning reps..... happy studying...

Aye, Daytona was high on my wish list too, but with all the "known" issues with reps of the Daytonas with Sec@6, I'll be giving them a miss, that is until I can afford to buy the real thing!

They don't ALL fail BTW, one of out esteemed TD's suggested 1 in 4??

This is true, there are many that are tended well and rarely worn, still ticking away.

I'm sure Silverspeed has one that's 6-7 years old.

Quite!!!! So for 'people' to suggest that they are a guaranteed fail and that the buyer should have read up, is a bit unfair.

I just remember all the posts a couple of years ago, saying that ordinary 7750's were 'ticking timebombs' - you never hear that now??

Not quite sure where you saw ...´guaranteed to fail¨..... no one said that just that there were and are issues he should be aware of......

before making a decision to spend his hard earned cash......ignorantly..... ie with no knowledge and possibly high expectations !!!!

As for having a read up.......well if that´s unfair advise ........ for a member with 1 post.....

well it´s time to shut the site down!!!!

¨ Ignorance is bliss ¨.....

¨Until it all goes wrong ¨ !!!!

Odyseus

I had a read up.... and i´m no longer buying a Daytona....... you may feel the same way after a read up.....

Aye, Daytona was high on my wish list too, but with all the "known" issues with reps of the Daytonas with Sec@6, I'll be giving them a miss, that is until I can afford to buy the real thing!

This is true, there are many that are tended well and rarely worn, still ticking away.

Quite!!!! So for 'people' to suggest that they are a guaranteed fail and that the buyer should have read up, is a bit unfair.

I just remember all the posts a couple of years ago, saying that ordinary 7750's were 'ticking timebombs' - you never hear that now??

Not quite sure where you saw ...´guaranteed to fail¨..... no one said that just that there were and are issues he should be aware of......

before making a decision to spend his hard earned cash......ignorantly..... ie with no knowledge and possibly high expectations !!!!

As for having a read up.......well if that´s unfair advise ........ for a member with 1 post.....

I think 'ticking timebomb' impies failure doesn't it?

I've own two Daytona's both working perfectly, so I speak from experience and NOT hearsay.

""As for having a read up.......well if that´s unfair advise ........ for a member with 1 post.....

well it´s time to shut the site down!!!!"" - Who said that ?? I certainly didn't!!

There's nothing wrong in pointing out possible frailties in the sec@6 but, I get pissed off with people with no hands on experience (Note new members) who claim to be world experts?? There are loads of articles and strip down's on RWG.cc and RWI perhaps you should read those??

Lastly, if everyone send their knackered Daytona's back to the TD's, I'm sure that they would 'request' the factories to come up with a jeweled version??

Odyseus

See post 4. :rofl:

To be fair that is still the consensus I'd suggest, rightly or wrongly. It's fair enough I believe to warn that you may be spending a lot of money on a movement with a bad reputation.

Yea... If nothing else, the 'secs @ 6' Daytona definitely has an image problem. Maybe the 'Worlwide AntiDefamation Council of Kindness to Daytonas' (or W.A.C.K.D.) :giggle: could start a 're-branding' campaign.

Odysseus, you would make a good spokesman :D

But BS I do actually own a couple of Daytona's, so I can speak with experience?? How many did you say you had?? :beer3:

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

I've own two Daytona's both working perfectly, so I speak from experience and NOT hearsay.

""As for having a read up.......well if that´s unfair advise ........ for a member with 1 post.....

well it´s time to shut the site down!!!!"" - Who said that ?? I certainly didn't!!

There's nothing wrong in pointing out possible frailties in the sec@6 but, I get pissed off with people with no hands on experience (Note new members) who claim to be world experts?? There are loads of articles and strip down's on RWG.cc and RWI perhaps you should read those??

Lastly, if everyone send their knackered Daytona's back to the TD's, I'm sure that they would 'request' the factories to come up with a jeweled version??

Shutting the site down..... was simply veiled irony ...I never suggested you said that....If it´s unfair to tell someone to read up...Then why bother any of us writing

Quote So for 'people' to suggest that they are a guaranteed fail and that the buyer should have read up, is a bit unfair.

The read up is the best advice..... and not unfair.... and you may have forgotten you wrote it !!!!

Odyseus

Shutting the site down..... was simply veiled irony ...I never suggested you said that....If it´s unfair to tell someone to read up...Then why bother any of us writing

Quote So for 'people' to suggest that they are a guaranteed fail and that the buyer should have read up, is a bit unfair.

The read up is the best advice..... and not unfair.... and you may have forgotten you wrote it !!!!

It's simply a question of balance. I'm not some champion of sec@6 but I see so many newbies who been around for a few weeks and think their great experts by simply repeating what others have said. Not just on this but many issues, If people don't have first experience of an issue why do people give their opinion..and quite frankly it's worthless.

People only tend to comment on the negative, for every bad TD review there are probably hundreds of happy punters who don't bother giving any feedback. Does this mean TD's are unreliable? Of course not

The same goes for watch movements.. Do you know the total number of sec@6 sold? How many have failed? How many TD's get back. How many other watch movements fail? - I certainly don't know the answers to any of these??

I once asked WI if the sec@6 were really that bad and they said they were OK - so were WI (Mary/Rochest) telling porkies or just being honest, who can tell??

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Interesting and very valid ......... but for me .....generally where there is a little too much smoke.. ...... I run like the clappers !!!

There is much to be said for letittng newbies... make their own mistakes.... but we have a responsibility to try and help them help themselves.......

Of course... I am a newbie ....although with a stack of watches already and a few posts... and a lot of reading time....

Conversely... there was a thread I read last week asking advice... with 20 or so replies.......

where members barely managed to throw the poor guy a crumb....

This new member... has probably gone into hiding ...under a duvet somewhere right now !!!

plankton

Yes, I have only purchased 7 w that movement and 2 have just locked up. Wouldnt restart. Eventually I learned how to manually restart them via the balance wheel but for the average Joe this would be a shitty issue. 2 of my others following lengthy timing work have maintained great standard deviation. Those I kept, 5 have been gifted...

Odyseus

Unfortunately Daytonas wear more bracelet than watch for me.

Yeah, they are pretty small on the wrist :) There was a 41mm/42mm fantacy available from WI but now out of stock :)

Wriggles

Remember, there are many who've spent $100's getting Domi's 3 jewel modification also.

A mod which he's no longer doing, checked yesterday. Don't know of anyone else offering similar so if you do chance a secs@6 and get a dud it will most likely become a paperweight. An expensive one

Thanks 'B' that's news to me.

Mailed him the other day and he just responded in german with three words "no more jewel"

So, my interpretation is he's not doing them anymore, something I saw mentioned in RWI or Repgeek a little while ago as well so seems to be the case.

I had my eye on the cheap Portugese in M2M the other day, and if the mod was reasonable enough I planned on going with it. Without the mod, even at a cheap price a dead watch is a dead watch and money lost.

As much as there is a case for not all secs@6 being complete duds, I just don't fancy risking the money which can be spent elsewhere with something that is probably going to be more reliable.

I saw SSTEEL had a thread on RWI asking about the steps to perform this mod, maybe Domi will let him know what's needed if he won't be in competition with him now, to increase the lifespan of these, but until then unfortunately I'll be avoiding them