Sign in to follow this  
plankton

Waterproof Testing- Anyone own or use the tester?

cnwh

Will the watches really 'explode' and cause me to lose an eye or an arm?

Hopefully you are not serious, what may happen is the crystal may pop off in the tester(mind you if you've had your arm in the tester during the test you have more serious issues) :death:

Lol.

I quote "CAUTION! Do not assume that a low end watch which says 100 meters on the dial will

withstand this sort of test! A lot of testers refuse to test low end watches in these style

of testers as they could "explode". " from the instruction link posted previously here: http://www.watchbitz.com.au/documents/Water_Pressure_Tester-Instructions.pdf

SSTEEL

You would think that a Swiss made Bergeon would have parts that don't corrode? The paint on mine inside on the chamber base is all corroded and so is the prong and the sealing lid . I now store it with no water as soon as I have used it.

Who said the Bergeon was Swiss made?

Hint: parts for the Chinese model WILL interchange!

O/S

My Bergeon 5555 has "Swiss Made" on it.

So do a lot of watches here! :)

:P Mine came in its original box with instructions, manual, and serial number :P

JSJ

Yeah but commercial testers are designed to split along a seam, a Nalgene bottle explodes into 100s of razor sharp fragments . . .

TBH I wouldn't use one due to the safety risks so at the very least wrap it in a towel while doing the pressurisation and handle with great care once pressurised.

Thanks Trailboss. Do I recall that you were involved in testing the Nalgene bottles for pressure? Behind a screen...

Yes I completely agree about the caution. I was just raising the dangers in case some people don't read the whole of the post. I will use a sheet of polycarbonate between me and it.

plankton

So I do take from this that the device will rust easily, clean and store ,,, correct....???

Is there a way to release the pressure rather slow or will it just evacuate??

Edited by plankton

offshore

You would think that a Swiss made Bergeon would have parts that don't corrode? The paint on mine inside on the chamber base is all corroded and so is the prong and the sealing lid . I now store it with no water as soon as I have used it.

Who said the Bergeon was Swiss made?

Hint: parts for the Chinese model WILL interchange!

O/S

My Bergeon 5555 has "Swiss Made" on it.

So do a lot of watches here! :)

:P Mine came in its original box with instructions, manual, and serial number :P

Yep, thats the one!

The premium price version! :rofl:

Hell I can get you box and papers for most watches as well!

O/S

Mystery Shopper

Do I recall that you were involved in testing the Nalgene bottles for pressure?

Nope, that was Jamie & Adam on Mythbusters. :D

plankton

Storage, clean and dry. Lube the valve? Thanks for all the input. I will make sure to check these items.

plankton

I just built a Nalgene tester today and used it on my cheap Top Gun to try it out. Took it to 4 bar. Unfortunately both the pushers leaked a little. Not really a surprise and in fact it proved the kit works and let me see what a leak looks like so it was worth it. I already had the movement out for luming so there wasn't much risk. The case was perfectly dry inside at the end of the test.

Logically, crystal popping would be less likely if the pressure is reduced very slowly. The reason the crystal pops is because there's a leak in the watch. If the air is allowed back out of the watch case slowly via the leak, then the crystal is less likely to pop.

I really like the Nalgene design. It's better than the purpose built testers in many ways. I used an electric tyre pump and it was up to 4bar in a few seconds. There's nothing to corrode in it and the total cost has been £12 because I had all the other items.

Sorry to hijack but as I now have a half dozen divers and another on the way do you have some details on your home built tester?

I'm considering a shop bought tester but am always on the lookout to save some cash and build something if possible.

Mine is based on the tester on RWI:

http://www.replica-w...ead.php?t=28682

That thread is worth a read all the way through because more comes out as they develop it. Specifically, the info that the bottle they tested to destruction burst at 7 bar. That is very useful info IMO.

Mine uses a car tyre valve simply pushed up through a 13mm hole drilled in the centre of the top, similar to the original design. No glue was necessary and I used PTFE plumber's tape round the lid seal which worked perfectly. No loss of pressure over a 5 minute period and plenty of time for the watch to fill up with 4 bar if it had a leak.I didn't fancy the suggestion of drilling the side of the bottle. The tyre valve was given for the asking by a tyre fitter.

I'm not a fan of unnecessary Health and Safety advice but I am a fan of a quick risk assessment. In this case, I wore safety specs. We are talking about some quite high pressures here and if the bottle shatters, it will be very nasty. I would wear safety specs whenever working with a gas (air in this case) at these pressures. If the vessel breaks, you don't know which bits are going to fly around. That applies to the purchased pressure testers too as far as I can see.

Great info!!

trailboss99

Hopefully you are not serious, what may happen is the crystal may pop off in the tester(mind you if you've had your arm in the tester during the test you have more serious issues) :death:

Lol.

I quote "CAUTION! Do not assume that a low end watch which says 100 meters on the dial will

withstand this sort of test! A lot of testers refuse to test low end watches in these style

of testers as they could "explode". " from the instruction link posted previously here: http://www.watchbitz...nstructions.pdf

Um, the guy you are quoting wrote those instructions mate.

Note the parentheses around "explode"? In this context explode means the crystal can blow.

Yeah but commercial testers are designed to split along a seam, a Nalgene bottle explodes into 100s of razor sharp fragments . . .

TBH I wouldn't use one due to the safety risks so at the very least wrap it in a towel while doing the pressurisation and handle with great care once pressurised.

Thanks Trailboss. Do I recall that you were involved in testing the Nalgene bottles for pressure? Behind a screen...

Yes I completely agree about the caution. I was just raising the dangers in case some people don't read the whole of the post. I will use a sheet of polycarbonate between me and it.

I have blown one up to see what happens and the result is a mass of plastic shrapnel.

As for the Chinese testers all the ones I have seen/sold are identical in every way to the Swiss version. Besides which, 10mm plus of high grade perspex in a cylinder shape is going to withstand a lot more than 6ATM. While Nalgene bottles are bloody strong they were never designed to be pressurised.

dingle

my tester:

homepool.jpg

cnwh

Lol.

of testers as they could "explode". " from the instruction link posted previously here: http://www.watchbitz...nstructions.pdf

Note the parentheses around "explode"? In this context explode means the crystal can blow.

Oh so you are the sifu! Thanks for the insights.

Yes I thought crystal that blows is as bad as an explosion at close distance. Might really need to get some good pressure tester instead of cheap ones be safety reason.

Anyway I don't need so big ATM as I don't dive. So will not face big risk of getting pieces of glass or crystals or plastics sticking to my face...

JSJ

Lol.

Oh so you are the sifu! Thanks for the insights.

Yes I thought crystal that blows is as bad as an explosion at close distance. Might really need to get some good pressure tester instead of cheap ones be safety reason.

Anyway I don't need so big ATM as I don't dive. So will not face big risk of getting pieces of glass or crystals or plastics sticking to my face...

You need 3 or 4 bar (45 or 60 psi) minimum for swimming according to received wisdom around here. That's not high pressure. My PO says 600m (approx 60 bar). Now thAt's high pressure.

TRANSPORTER

A little read for all those wanting mega ATM results on their reps

Depth limit for recreational divers - 12 metresDepth limit for experienced divers - 18 metresDepth at which nitrogen bubbles develop in your blood - 30 metresScuba diving world record - 137 metresDepth my £14.99 watch will operate up to - 500 metresCheers Casio, that's a relief

Lighthearted ok guys!!!!

plankton

any specific grease or wd-40 or silicone?

trailboss99

Yes mate, silicone grease is the stuff.

plankton

Thank you sir!