Sign in to follow this  
plankton

Waterproof Testing- Anyone own or use the tester?

plankton

I just purchased a waterproof tester that tests up to 6 atm. Has anyone used this, your results and issues please.

I have read that some cheap watches will pop the crystal off. My intent is to check the ones that come advertised as 5 atm and report in.

Remarks please.

m-2F7RJFKa-_nivOexNPpDw.jpg

twofake

Yep. Have popped a few crystals. I probably would still test to 6atm just so I could say it was tested to 6 ATM but then again , I see others advertising their modded watch was tested to 4 ATM .

Just make sure you have the watch sitting above water while you do some initial tests or even better, take the movement out and do the tests on the empty case.

After a while , the Burgeon testers seem to all break and die . The Chinese ones may even be better than the Swiss made one which tends to leak and corrode with time ?

This is comparing to the older ones and not the latest Bergeon water proof tester .

plankton

Great info, thanks!!!

SSTEEL

I had my first crystal popping out recently, I have the Bergeon 5555, and all the parts are serviceable on this latest model, gaskets, tube, lid, and prong.

I had to replace the prong on mine as it was rusty, so whilst doing that, I serviced it. All serviceable parts are available from cousinsuk. I don't know if these will fit the China clones.

mysfit

I just purchased a waterproof tester that tests up to 6 atm. Has anyone used this, your results and issues please.

I have read that some cheap watches will pop the crystal off. My intent is to check the ones that come advertised as 5 atm and report in.

Remarks please.

m-2F7RJFKa-_nivOexNPpDw.jpg

Where did you buy it ?

Ebay i guess i have found the same :D

Edited by mysfit

SSTEEL

The clue is in the image url, ebay. I was going to get one from China at first, but then stumbled upon a used Bergeon 5555. Service it, good as new now :)

plankton

It was eBay, $200. Not in receipt of it yet.

TRANSPORTER

I use a Nalgene water bottle and foot pump, happily test up to 4.5 ATM but generally stay at 3ATM-3.5ATM which is fine for swimming and snorkelling, I've not had one leak on me yet after I've tested it.

I'd like a nice proper tester but funds don't stretch that far I'm afraid.

plankton

Typically a good DSSD BK should be safe at 3.5, have you found that to be true>

twofake

You would think that a Swiss made Bergeon would have parts that don't corrode? The paint on mine inside on the chamber base is all corroded and so is the prong and the sealing lid . I now store it with no water as soon as I have used it.

JSJ

I just built a Nalgene tester today and used it on my cheap Top Gun to try it out. Took it to 4 bar. Unfortunately both the pushers leaked a little. Not really a surprise and in fact it proved the kit works and let me see what a leak looks like so it was worth it. I already had the movement out for luming so there wasn't much risk. The case was perfectly dry inside at the end of the test.

Logically, crystal popping would be less likely if the pressure is reduced very slowly. The reason the crystal pops is because there's a leak in the watch. If the air is allowed back out of the watch case slowly via the leak, then the crystal is less likely to pop.

I really like the Nalgene design. It's better than the purpose built testers in many ways. I used an electric tyre pump and it was up to 4bar in a few seconds. There's nothing to corrode in it and the total cost has been £12 because I had all the other items.

SSTEEL

You would think that a Swiss made Bergeon would have parts that don't corrode? The paint on mine inside on the chamber base is all corroded and so is the prong and the sealing lid . I now store it with no water as soon as I have used it.

Did you buy yours new? Are you using distilled water?

ShovelnTC

I just built a Nalgene tester today and used it on my cheap Top Gun to try it out. Took it to 4 bar. Unfortunately both the pushers leaked a little. Not really a surprise and in fact it proved the kit works and let me see what a leak looks like so it was worth it. I already had the movement out for luming so there wasn't much risk. The case was perfectly dry inside at the end of the test.

Logically, crystal popping would be less likely if the pressure is reduced very slowly. The reason the crystal pops is because there's a leak in the watch. If the air is allowed back out of the watch case slowly via the leak, then the crystal is less likely to pop.

I really like the Nalgene design. It's better than the purpose built testers in many ways. I used an electric tyre pump and it was up to 4bar in a few seconds. There's nothing to corrode in it and the total cost has been £12 because I had all the other items.

Sorry to hijack but as I now have a half dozen divers and another on the way do you have some details on your home built tester?

I'm considering a shop bought tester but am always on the lookout to save some cash and build something if possible.

cnwh

Will the watches really 'explode' and cause me to lose an eye or an arm?

flyr

Will the watches really 'explode' and cause me to lose an eye or an arm?

Hopefully you are not serious, what may happen is the crystal may pop off in the tester(mind you if you've had your arm in the tester during the test you have more serious issues) :death:

Daywatch

Have the car tyre pump with manometer but how do You connect it to the nalgene bottle? Could buy one on amazon.

Could You post a picture of the setup? or provide a link with the description?

That would be great.

trailboss99

You would, wouldn't you? Not the case however, they corrode like all hell. Also check the release valve, take it apart every now and again and apply some silicone grease or it will rust out.

SSTEEL
Also check the release valve, take it apart every now and again and apply some silicone grease or it will rust out.

Good advice ^^

offshore

Who said the Bergeon was Swiss made?

Hint: parts for the Chinese model WILL interchange!

O/S

SSTEEL

O/S

My Bergeon 5555 has "Swiss Made" on it.

offshore

O/S

My Bergeon 5555 has "Swiss Made" on it.

So do a lot of watches here! :)

JSJ

Sorry to hijack but as I now have a half dozen divers and another on the way do you have some details on your home built tester?

I'm considering a shop bought tester but am always on the lookout to save some cash and build something if possible.

Mine is based on the tester on RWI:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=28682

That thread is worth a read all the way through because more comes out as they develop it. Specifically, the info that the bottle they tested to destruction burst at 7 bar. That is very useful info IMO.

Mine uses a car tyre valve simply pushed up through a 13mm hole drilled in the centre of the top, similar to the original design. No glue was necessary and I used PTFE plumber's tape round the lid seal which worked perfectly. No loss of pressure over a 5 minute period and plenty of time for the watch to fill up with 4 bar if it had a leak.I didn't fancy the suggestion of drilling the side of the bottle. The tyre valve was given for the asking by a tyre fitter.

I'm not a fan of unnecessary Health and Safety advice but I am a fan of a quick risk assessment. In this case, I wore safety specs. We are talking about some quite high pressures here and if the bottle shatters, it will be very nasty. I would wear safety specs whenever working with a gas (air in this case) at these pressures. If the vessel breaks, you don't know which bits are going to fly around. That applies to the purchased pressure testers too as far as I can see.

trailboss99

Yeah but commercial testers are designed to split along a seam, a Nalgene bottle explodes into 100s of razor sharp fragments . . .

TBH I wouldn't use one due to the safety risks so at the very least wrap it in a towel while doing the pressurisation and handle with great care once pressurised.

ShovelnTC

Mine is based on the tester on RWI:

http://www.replica-w...ead.php?t=28682

That thread is worth a read all the way through because more comes out as they develop it. Specifically, the info that the bottle they tested to destruction burst at 7 bar. That is very useful info IMO.

Mine uses a car tyre valve simply pushed up through a 13mm hole drilled in the centre of the top, similar to the original design. No glue was necessary and I used PTFE plumber's tape round the lid seal which worked perfectly. No loss of pressure over a 5 minute period and plenty of time for the watch to fill up with 4 bar if it had a leak.I didn't fancy the suggestion of drilling the side of the bottle. The tyre valve was given for the asking by a tyre fitter.

I'm not a fan of unnecessary Health and Safety advice but I am a fan of a quick risk assessment. In this case, I wore safety specs. We are talking about some quite high pressures here and if the bottle shatters, it will be very nasty. I would wear safety specs whenever working with a gas (air in this case) at these pressures. If the vessel breaks, you don't know which bits are going to fly around. That applies to the purchased pressure testers too as far as I can see.

Yeah but commercial testers are designed to split along a seam, a Nalgene bottle explodes into 100s of razor sharp fragments . . .

TBH I wouldn't use one due to the safety risks so at the very least wrap it in a towel while doing the pressurisation and handle with great care once pressurised.

Thanks Guys,

One of my duties at work is to prepare Safe Work Method Statements on construction sites which are pretty intensive so my training is pushing me to a manufactured tester.

My only concern with a cheap version would be if they actually manufacture them with the fail seam but if not then the cheap commercial tester may not be any safer than the Nalgene bottle but I really could never justify the cost of a genuine Bergeon so am still undecided.

Safety glasses go without saying for me as I need reading glasses and have the bi-focal type safety Glasses that I pretty much wear all of the time if in the garage or doing any technical activities but I guess if the bottle were wrapped in a duct tape at say 1" intervals would still allow reasonable vision access but the chance of flying shrapnel would be decreased significantly.

I may buy a sacrificial Nalgene bottle and over pressurize it remotely (compressed air line under the garage door) and see how it fails, whether it be disintegrate or just split.

I always say to my wife when she asks me to do a "Quick" job around the house, "there's no such thing as a quick job as every job usually turns into another two jobs in order to do the first" and this looks like one of those jobs.

Mark.