Sign in to follow this  
cuevobat

My adventures resizing SMP bracelet

cuevobat

I got my new pumpkin and given my tiny wrists, I needed to take a lot of links out. I could have gone to the mall and had them do it. I could have bought one of those pin removal devices; but no, I had to be all twisted and do it myself with tools on hand.

In the process I learned a lot. I like fiddling with tiny bits and it was kind of fun and a feeling of accomplishment. I documented my adventure on my web site, here:

http://www.basementcat.org/thecraft.html

It was a time investment. I still consider it an investment because I picked up skills I can use later

AllergyDoc

I'm for using what you have on hand.

KBH
I'm for using what you have on hand.

I'm with you Doc.

I took a brad nail from one of those little things made to hang pictures on the wall and ground it down to the size of the bracelet pin and tapped them in and out with a small tack hammer. Once you get them started, they are pretty easy to pull out if you have the right type of pliers. I have a pair of dentists pliers made for tooth extraction that can grab hold of very small items and hold on tightly. The picture hanging brad was the only piece of wire I could find that was hard enough to push the pins out and not bend.

robbnj

Instead of disassembling the bracelet to flip the clasp, you should just take it off the watch head and turn it around (also not a bad idea when you are doing ANY work on the bracelet so you don't damage the watch).

Also, if you want to snug up the link next to the clasp, try straightening/flattening the section pointed to in the picture below SLIGHTLY. It makes a huge difference.

CLASP.gif

IMG_7734.jpg

Edited by robbnj