Sign in to follow this  
Dipdog

Advice, re: trusted dealer

Dipdog

Guess I'm looking more for advice than anything else at this point. I communicated with a dealer on the trusted dealer list. First time I've dealt with them before. They were very timely with their replies. I mentioned what I was looking for, a watch similar to one that they displayed online. I sent them a picture and description. We agreed on a price. Their website says $10 flat for shipping. When I entered the custom order into the cart, it charged me $15 for shipping. That's fine. I got an automated email bill for the amount that we agreed on plus shipping. When I checked my bank a day later, they charged my card $13 above what the charge on the email statement said. Then they charged me another $9 a day later for "international credit card fee". I wrote several days ago to ask about all the extra charges, and they are no longer responding.

Is this normal? Any advice?

kennycoder

Are you sure it's them and not your bank charging? It's quite normal for a bank to charge extra for international transactions and all of them appear separately.

Wriggles

^^^This.

The charges are nothing to do with the dealer

Dipdog

Im not sure. The charge originated in China. "international card fee" was just the label on the charge. I'll have to check.

But honestly, this doesn't really bother me quite so much as marking up over the agreed price, billing my card a different amount than the email statement, and dropping communication. I don't want to haggle over $13, but I've never received a bank charge that was different than the email statement on an Internet sale. Course, this isn't a legitimate Internet business, so not sure if this is just to be expected. But I've worked with another dealer, WatchEden, on 3 separate occasions, and never had these kinds of problems.

I thought I had read that, in some cases, RWG could act as a sort of intermediary with trusted dealers (?). Im trying to figure out, early, if this is a problem, something that I should do something about, or not?

Kleen™

So why didn't you just stick with WE ( although I personally would never have placed any business there in the first place....)

elp

Never happened to me, but I pay by WU. I'd be surprised if this extra originated from the dealer - I would guess it is likely the bank a. charging you from the currency conversion Yuan (even if you don't see this)->USD, and b. levying a charge for international transaction as mentioned above.

dingle

......it is the banks fee. Not the TD's.

If you still have issues, then PM me with your order number and TD and I will intervene if needed.

:)

Dipdog

WE was my first replica experience with a few cheap watches. This recent one was a little more expensive, and a little more difficult to find.

Dingle, I'll wait a few more days and follow up if I don't hear back from them. Thank you!

Grimmi

Yeah, the "international transaction fee" will be your bank guaranteed... Happens to me every time I place an order for something overseas that's not in my countries currency (AUD).

Also, the $13, could that be conversion?

If you agreed on a price, it would've been based on USD, I'm guessing you're not in the US?

anyway... Hope you work it out :)

Grimmi
Never happened to me, but I pay by WU. I'd be surprised if this extra originated from the dealer - I would guess it is likely the bank a. charging you from the currency conversion Yuan (even if you don't see this)->USD, and b. levying a charge for international transaction as mentioned above.

Or this +1

Dipdog

I have a followup question, from a noob of course. Received the watch, it's a replica of a Tag 1887 version 2 with Asian 7750. It looks great! I saw a lot of 1887 replicas, but the font on the tachymetre bezel was often much larger than the original and didn't look good.

My question is (I have to ask because I don't understand the inner mechanism), can the 9 o'clock second hand subdial and the stopwatch run at different speeds (ie. different movements)? The tiny 9 o'clock second hand runs very smoothly, but the stopwatch hand doesn't seem to run quite as smooth. I'm not experienced enough to know if that is possible, or if it's just a visual illusion, since the small second hand is so much smaller than the big stopwatch hand. And I'm not experienced enough to know exactly what a large hand running at 28800 looks like but, from comparing to videos I've seen, there's just a barely noticeable bit of tick and sometimes a very slight hesitation to the large stopwatch hand and I wonder if that is more likely to be running at something slower like 21600?

Or maybe that's normal? Just trying to get educated, appreciate your comments!

Aren

I think, as stated above, it is the currency conversion rate. This is charged by your financial provider for the exchange rate of currencies. The amount can vary depending on when the transaction is posted. Most are posted at the time, but for some reason, sometimes processing is delayed.

For example...If you read Paypal details it states that the final amount paid may vary. I am not saying you used Paypal, but merely use it as an example. This not only applies to PP, but all CCs and debit cards when it comes to international transaction. For a full explanation you can read the Paypal fine print, or the fine print on your TOS for your CC or Debit card. It is normally only a few dollars either way. If it was more variance than that, I would question it. The variance can occur if, say, you buy something on a weekend and the exchange rate changes by the next banking day. The conversion rate for the currency exchange is separate from the transaction fee which is usually a flat fee, or now...a percentage of the amount involved. Banking TOS are changing all the time and it is hard to keep up.

This has been my experience with international transactions. The only time I have only paid a transaction fee and not the currency conversion charges for the exchange rate (if processing is delayed...like for a weekend) is when I have used Western Union. WU does the calculation at the time of the transaction and you know it up front.

I hope this helps.