Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Worth

How do I shorten a Cartier wrist strap

Harry_Worth

Hi folks,

Just about to buy my first rep for my wife. I'rather like the Cartier Santos. My wife has very small wrists so I expect the strap will be too big.

Is it straightforward to adjust the strap myself? if so how do I go about it. I'm guessing even my local watch repairer might not want to touch a rep here in the UK. (or is it the case they won't turn away good money)

Thanks

Harry

Silverspeed

The Santos has a deployant clasp so it's very easy to adjust the strap...just slide

the clasp a little further on the strap...and presto

Harry_Worth
The Santos has a deployant clasp so it's very easy to adjust the strap...just slide

Many thanks for that - I'll get on and order it.

Harry_Worth

Many thanks for that - I'll get on and order it.

It's defeated me!!!!

Finally ordered and received the watch - As expected, the bracelet is too big. I've studied the bracelet under a glass and cannot fathom how it comes apart to remove links. i certainly can't see anything that slides. The first three links on either side have a small cutaway. It appears the intention is that these are removeable. I can't see how though. I've trawled around the site and haven't found any info so far - Anybody out there know how to remove links? A big hammer beckons!!!

jmd33

There should be tiny slots on the insude of the band. Those have tiny levers/springs inside you push to slide off the links.

FYI - not even my watchmaker could size one for me, so it's something I'm not sure I'd try unless you're willing to damage the band.

Edited by jmd33

Harry_Worth
There should be tiny slots on the insude of the band. Those have tiny levers/springs inside you push to slide off the links.

FYI - not even my watchmaker could size one for me, so it's something I'm not sure I'd try unless you're willing to damage the band.

Yes - those slots are the things I'm referring to.

Sounds as though it may be easier to adjust my wife - nothing a few curries and beer couldn't fix!

There's a lot to be said for leather straps! On the watch that is!

Waipio Jeff

Any non AD jeweler or watch repair shop will probably do it for 10 bucks.

Harry_Worth

Scuse my ignorance what does the term 'AD' mean. I'll try this avenue although I do wonder whether the traditional watch repairer still exists. My guess is that watches in recent times have become a bit polarised. They are either that cheap that they are simply considered disposable with respect to the labour costs to have them repaired or they are high end and are therefore repaired by main agents or jewellers with the backing/training of the manufacturer (the very company that would be affronted by a rep.)

jmd33

Scuse my ignorance what does the term 'AD' mean. I'll try this avenue although I do wonder whether the traditional watch repairer still exists. My guess is that watches in recent times have become a bit polarised. They are either that cheap that they are simply considered disposable with respect to the labour costs to have them repaired or they are high end and are therefore repaired by main agents or jewellers with the backing/training of the manufacturer (the very company that would be affronted by a rep.)

"Non AD" means non authorized dealer of a brand. We don't take reps into authorized dealers.

The problem you are going to have sizing the Santos band is due to the design of the links combined with the cheap metal used.

My watchmaker will do almost anything to any watch I bring him.

Two things he won't do - work on 21j movements... and, you guessed it, size Santos bands.

If you are able to get it sized please let me know what you did. I have a couple that still need to be done.