Sign in to follow this  
11fajado

Misaligned cyclops on TC Sub

Kcore

SSteel is an amazing guy!

However, I would let Thomas fix which I'm sure he will.

Sorry, and good luck

SSTEEL

Send it to SSTEEL or get a cheap crystal press form ebay and something to remove the case back. E.g. a cheap gummy ball..a lot of videos on youtube ;) Then take the stem out in TIME SETTING position and you have to be very very careful when pressing down the stem release button. Only press down a little little bit and with the other hand feel the stem releasing. Then unscrew the screws which hold the movement in place and subsequently take out the movement. Then you just have to press xtal out and aligned correctly back in again. Putting the watch back in reverse order. If you don't feel comfortable about it bring the watch to a rep friendly watch maker or to SSTEEL. In case you are from Switzerland I could do it for you aswell ;)

Just a note, with the right tools, the case back, and movement do not need removing to rectify this issue.

Also, with the movement Thomas uses, the super clone 2824 in particular, I have found its best to extract the stem in winding position, NOT time setting position. Trust me, I have worked on many TC subs, and found that winding position is best. In fact, even an ETA 2824 I extract stem in winding position. The only movement I extract in time setting position is a 7750.

Thanks for the kind words though guys :)

Kleen™

Also, with the movement Thomas uses, the super clone 2824, its best to extract the stem in winding position, NOT time setting position.

....stealthy sneak-in off-topic question, as I have effed up my Naughtylus SW-200 this way: Position when removing stem on this?

sputim

Send it to SSTEEL or get a cheap crystal press form ebay and something to remove the case back. E.g. a cheap gummy ball..a lot of videos on youtube ;) Then take the stem out in TIME SETTING position and you have to be very very careful when pressing down the stem release button. Only press down a little little bit and with the other hand feel the stem releasing. Then unscrew the screws which hold the movement in place and subsequently take out the movement. Then you just have to press xtal out and aligned correctly back in again. Putting the watch back in reverse order. If you don't feel comfortable about it bring the watch to a rep friendly watch maker or to SSTEEL. In case you are from Switzerland I could do it for you aswell ;)

Just a note, with the right tools, the case back, and movement do not need removing.

Also, with the movement Thomas uses, the super clone 2824, its best to extract the stem in winding position, NOT time setting position.

Sorry my mistake but one need to pop off the bezel, right? And thanks for the info for the 2824 with the WINDING position. Sorry really didn't know that :o

SSTEEL

Bezel cam be removed with a bezel removal tool. In doing so, you need to ensure crystal does not come away from the gasket, then once the bezel assembly is removed, you can realign the crystal, then using a press, press the bezel assembly back down, ensuring the crystal does not move. In doing this, you also ensure you have the bezel insert aligned so too. :)

SSTEEL

....stealthy sneak-in off-topic question, as I have effed up my Naughtylus SW-200 this way: Position when removing stem on this?

Date set position, or winding position should be fine. Remember, the keyless can also be messed up when inserting the stem. You have to be very very gentle, turning the crown as you go, never force the stem in. Inserting it slowly (oh err) turning it, you get a feel for it after doing many, and get used to how it feels when its engaged into the position prior to you gently depressing the stem release button to get the stem in fully.

Its not usually needed, but I always insert the stem ever so gently, and turning as I go, then when it stops, and I check visually how much of the stem is still out of the movement, when I see the right length, I know then to gently press the stem release button, and in doing so whilst pushing the stem, it glides in.

Some movements just need the weight of the screwdriver on their stem release button, others more pressure is needed, but rule of thumb its best to use your red screwdriver, 1.20mm in the slot, its shaped that way so you can't push the stern release button too far.

Hope that makes sense.

Kleen™

Date set position, or winding position should be fine. Remember, the keyless can also be messed up when inserting the stem. You have to be very very gentle, turning the crown as you go, never force the stem in. Inserting it slowly (oh err) turning it, you get a feel for it after doing many, and get used to how it feels when its engaged into the position prior to you gently depressing the stem release button to get the stem in fully.

Its not usually needed, but I always insert the stem ever so gently, and turning as I go, then when it stops, and I check visually how much of the stem is still out of the movement, when I see the right length, I know then to gently press the stem release button, and in doing so whilst pushing the stem, it glides in.

Hope that makes sense.

Reading that does make a lot of sense, Ssteel - thank you.

It's a also very eloquent description of exactly what I did NOT do, and hence ended up with a dead movement...:-(

SSTEEL

You will get used to the whole process the more you do. Best thing to do is get yourself a few spare old movements, and practise lots on removing hands, dial, keyless, and reassembling. Some people prefer to learn on bigger watches/movements and start learning with pocket watches. I decided to learn the other way, smaller movements.

themannier

Bravo STEEL !!!!!; i always removed the stem on time setting position on all ETA movements :dunno:

How TC can send a Watch like that ?

SSTEEL

Bravo STEEL !!!!!; i always removed the stem on time setting position on all ETA movements :dunno:

I guess the preference varies from watchmaker to tinker, to watchmaker, when one gets a feel for something that works, they stick to it, like me. I have to admit, I love working on genuine ETA movements, everything just fits so well, the quality is so much better than their cloned counterparts.

Regarding your question, I hope this is not a sign that Thomas's QC is slipping due to the high demand of his watches :( I guess this one may of just simply slipped through the net. Time will tell, and I am sure Thomas will address this issue.

themannier

I guess the preference varies from watchmaker to tinker, to watchmaker, when one gets a feel for something that works, they stick to it, like me. I have to admit, I love working on genuine ETA movements, everything just fits so well, the quality is so much better than their cloned counterparts.

Regarding your question, I hope this is not a sign that Thomas's QC is slipping due to the high demand of his watches :( I guess this one may of just simply slipped through the net. Time will tell, and I am sure Thomas will address this issue.

Yes you are right mate, for example the screws are really better on a genuine ETA; sure that Thomas will find a good solution ! :)

11fajado

Still no update from TC!

SSTEEL YOU TOP BLOKE! I appreciate the gesture!

But unfortunately I'm not in the EU : ((( I'm far far away all the way in Australia : (

fatarms

Don't mean to complicate things here but I wanted to put this out there. I don't see a coronet engraving on the crystal, and if it isn't there, then it won't be a big deal, but won't rotating the crystal misalign the coronet at the bottom?

11fajado
Don't mean to complicate things here but I wanted to put this out there. I don't see a coronet engraving on the crystal, and if it isn't there, then it won't be a big deal, but won't rotating the crystal misalign the coronet at the bottom?

Is there supposed to be a coronet engraving on the crystal?

Kwt

SSTEEL is a real credit to this forum with gestures like this.

I found this the other day and was gonna create a thread as I thought it would benefit someone. It might benefit you?

How to remove a bezel of a sub with clear and concise pictures.

http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html

Libertatia

The way TC is praised on the forums you really wouldn't expect an error as obvious as this....

jeffrsho

There is no engraving on these which is correct for the gen. Fixing the crystal will not cause any issues.

SSTEEL

Is there supposed to be a coronet engraving on the crystal?

No LEC on this TC crystal as far as I know. I do know that there were very few TC crystals with LEC though. Also to note, there are some genuine crystals out there with the LEC in other positions other than six o'clock too ;)

jgoorn

Stand up guy ssteel

11fajado

Daaamn, getting close to three days now. No word from TC yet.

SSTEEL

He is very busy. Offer still stands my friend.

fatpanda

Members on other forums are extremely disappointed with the current quality of the TC subs. Having other people building these watches for him and despatching them direct to the customer without him seeing them seems to be the contributing factor. Customers who think they are getting a Sub hand made by TC are now kidding themselves.

SSTEEL

Members on other forums are extremely disappointed with the current quality of the TC subs. Having other people building these watches for him and despatching them direct to the customer without him seeing them seems to be the contributing factor. Customers who think they are getting a Sub hand made by TC are now kidding themselves.

Do you have any proof of this? IE> People other than Thomas building these latest TC builds? I doubt it, but I have to say, I have noticed a decline in quality from feedback I have read across the boards. Hope its not a sign of end of times, and just hope Thomas can keep it together under the work pressure.

fatpanda

Do you have any proof of this? IE> People other than Thomas building these latest TC builds? I doubt it, but I have to say, I have noticed a decline in quality from feedback I have read across the boards. Hope its not a sign of end of times, and just hope Thomas can keep it together under the work pressure.

I feel reading the other forums enough proof has been gathered in respect to these TC subs being shipped direct to customers from other countries.TC has done himself no favors by not responding to emails, some people have not had a response in months, nor has he responded on these forums to peoples quality concerns.

People paying $600 plus for these watches have a right to question where these subs are coming from, no person,regardless of reputation, are above scrutiny.

11fajado

I'm going to wait a few more days and see if TC responds but it's looking like I might have to look to SSTEEL to finish the job!