Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

2836-2 Calendar Gearing problem. Pic

SSTEEL

Working on a 2836-2 clone movement at the moment, and want to know if any of you guys know if there should be something holding this gear in place? I have tried to get the keyless top plate and its tab of the same side to this gear to line up where it should go, but its not budging.

11835940855_44e32a0a45_b.jpg

Apart from the calendar click spring top plate there's nothing else holding this gear into place, and during advancing the time 24hrs to check the date change, the gear slips off its cast pinion on the main plate.

Seems a silly construction, and the other 2836-2's I have to compare have a different calendar set up so can't figure out whats going on with this.

This movement also has an issue with the date wheel popping out at midnight too, so have ordered a few related parts to see if they do the trick, but failing that this movement could be toast. I originally removed the dwo, and refit the date wheel, and it didn't pop out at midnight, but when I refit the overlay, it pops out again, so the overlay could be the cause of the popping out, :unsure:

Any help, pointers, tea and sympathy (no sugar please) would be appreciated. :)

SSTEEL

Just to note, the gold gear directly above this loose gear has been seated correctly within the spring loaded arm it sits on.

dingle

I have searched the internet for a pic of your movement with no luck. EVERY 2836-2 posted looks different from yours.

Are your sure this is the correct movement?

SSTEEL

It is a clone of the 2836-2, and has the GMT pinion too (not fitted in photo.

SSTEEL

I have searched the internet for a pic of your movement with no luck. EVERY 2836-2 posted looks different from yours.

Are your sure this is the correct movement?

I too searched to death about this issue, and come across some help, but it was mainly regarding the oiling of the counterparts of the calendar set up on a 2836-2.

Hazz

nothing covers it, but I thnk it is the wrong way round, give me a few I will check one of mine

Hazz

yup other way round

11839374566_ba9978ce2a_b.jpg

SSTEEL

nothing covers it, but I thnk it is the wrong way round, give me a few I will check one of mine

Tried it the other way round Ant and it don't fit the teeth below mate. The circumference of the teeth on the underside that connect to the gold calendar gear is smaller than the circumference of the gear on the top, thus when trying to fit the other way round, it don't site right due to the teeth not being able to engage.

Edit, just seen your photo mate, and mine is different to yours in the way that there is a different gear in the place of yours for the third hour (GMT) hand. < This can't be right, the drive for the GMT is near the keyless end. Damn, need to strip down again.

The one on mine have the middle teeth, then a small gear on the top for the above mentioned GMT, and then finally another small gear on the underside for the calendar gear.

So weird, pulling my hair out. What little I have left :lmao:

Uploading video now.

SSTEEL

I will upload a video showing what I'm facing, it may explain things better.

Hazz

this a GMT one so it is seated correctly

11839094103_e31fe29e83_o.jpg

SSTEEL

Ah, the pinion that I mentioned earlier, its part of the main plate cast, and looking at your photo, I would say that some has snapped off of the top as mine looks too short. I will inspect the casting under the loop to see if there's any sign of breakage. Would certainly explain things.

Thanks for the help Ant mate :)

Hazz

difficult to tell, have you checked that the date indicator driving wheel is seated,

difficult to tell, have you checked that the date indicator driving wheel is seated,

forget that comment :)

SSTEEL

Yup, you are a star Ant :) I can see under my loupe that the cast formed pinion is not uniform at its tip as if a small part has broken off. As you can see from the blown up photo, even with the gear as far down on whats left of the pinion, the gearing causing it to rise, and come off. At the moment the cast pinion is only half way through the gear.

So this means a new main plate needed, or a complete 2836-2.

Thanks again mate.

11839777226_ef10c53915_b.jpg