Sign in to follow this  
roguetrader

Advice needed on selling my Hamilton

roguetrader

This isn't cynical ploy to advertise or sell the watch, i just hope to get some friendly advice...

I bought a Hamilton intra-matic about 7 months ago, i love the watch but i chose the gold and now wish i'd got the steel.

My thinking at the time was that i have a few steel watches anyway and it looks so vintage and different. However after owning it for a while i want the steel, just because i love the watch so much and i want to wear it everyday and the gold just feels very dressy.

I've thought about trying to get the gold plate (PVD) removed to expose the steel or having it re-plated in rhodium, but now i've put it for sale on ebay with the thought that i'll sell it take a hit and buy the steel version.

Problem is i'm now worried that i'm going to lose big time selling it by auction, i might end it if it seems to be going slow...

I'd like to have one of each steel and gold but two of the same watches seems a bit excessive and i'm not made of money.

So question is what would you do with it? I dont have a lot of experience selling watches.

Edited by roguetrader

RichardMiami

You might not get your money back with a no reserve auction. It is a gamble at best.

Why not relist with a minimum bid? You say you paid £657.00 for the watch.. so maybe a minimum bid of £550 or so? the watch is now used, so you can't expect to get all your money back.

Up to you in the end result.

roguetrader

I dont expect to get my money back, i'd be happy with something around £400, just worried it my only get a few hundred...

You're probably right about starting it higher, but i thought it would attract more interest with a 99p start plus i'm a bit impatient and dont like the idea of it been on there for months.

Any thoughts on refinishing the case or is that a non starter?

RichardMiami

I wouldn't touch the case... gold plated is gold plated. The watch looks good that way!

roguetrader

I does look fantastic and i wish i could keep it but my mind is made up and my heart is set on the steel...

HWG

also keep in mind, ebay will take 10% of the selling price as a fee for watches, and payment via paypal is also another 3%...... selling a watch on ebay is expensive as hell, and should be a last resort IMO.

roguetrader

Wow 10%! I didn't realise that, i'm not a big ebay seller

So what would you do with it? where should i go to sell it?

trailboss99

WUS would be the most logical place to sell it. You could list it next door at RWI as well, someone may be interested.

roguetrader

I've just looked at WUS it does look ideal, though i'm not a member so it wont look good if i just sign up and put a sale on straight away.