Sign in to follow this  
Member X

WTF - Someone's signed me up for facebook??

Member X

Just had these two emails within the same minute:

facebook

Hi XXXXXX,

To complete the sign-up process, please follow this link:

http://www.facebook.com/confirmemail.php?e...mp;c=9999999999

You may be asked to enter this confirmation code: 9999999999

Welcome to Facebook!

The Facebook Team

- Get started

- Complete sign-up

facebook

Hi xxxxxxx,

Your account has been created — now it will be easier than ever to share and connect with your friends.

Here are three ways for you to get the most out of it:

Find Friends

Find people you know on Facebook using our simple tools.

Upload a Profile photo

Personalise your profile and help your friends recognise you.

Edit your Profile

Describe personal interests, contact information and affiliations.

If you have any questions, refer to our New User Guide.

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

- Sign in to Facebook and start connecting

- Get started

Given I vow NEVER to join facebook, and it's email address I don't give out often (and I don't think any of my mates have got it), WTF is going on?

I have a "Didn't sign up for facebook?" link to click:

http://www.facebook.com/confirmemail.php?e...99&report=1

(obviously with details not removed)

Is that a legit link? It looks like it to me...

I am not a happy bunny if I now have an account and some fucker's added a photo... :rainingshit:

dingle

sorry to hear this.......but I can't help but laugh :rainingshit:

find the perpetrator and kick them in the nuts :rainingshit:

Member X

It'll be a cold, calculated revenge if it's a genuine email and someone's being 'funny'...

It's not an email address I've given out to anyone bar those I've met in a professional manner, so I have no idea who might be playing tricks :rainingshit:

AustinTech

My wife did that to me.

That was months ago. Her eye is still a little purple.

Stay away from FB. It's evil and very insecure.

Brightlight

Are you sure those links point to where they say they point? Hover your cursor over the link and see what it says in the bar at the bottom of your email client. Most of these things (I don't know about Facebook as I have avoided it like the plague, but I would imagine it was the same) require a confirmation of your email sent to your email addy. This doesn't seem genuine, confirmation code all 9's? Yeah right. Personally I would just bin it and not click any links. If someone has tried to sign you up for Facebook and you don't confirm, it won't go any further, if it is spam/scam whatever, it won't go any further.

Member X

No no, sorry, I blanked out the email address and changed the confirmation code to all 9s lol

The link posted is thae one that comes up when you hover over the "didn't sign up? click here" words.

I'm just concerned because the first email has the confirmation link you need to click, then the second email is (I presume) what you get when you click it??

I'm changing password when fucking hotmail plays ball, then I will get the missus to search for me...

My friends on another site are just taking the piss because they think it's funny. Why can't people understand the desire for privacy? Fucks me right off.

onzenuub
No no, sorry, I blanked out the email address and changed the confirmation code to all 9s lol

The link posted is thae one that comes up when you hover over the "didn't sign up? click here" words.

I'm just concerned because the first email has the confirmation link you need to click, then the second email is (I presume) what you get when you click it??

I'm changing password when fucking hotmail plays ball, then I will get the missus to search for me...

My friends on another site are just taking the piss because they think it's funny. Why can't people understand the desire for privacy? Fucks me right off.

It must be Fakemasters revenge.

Klink

facebooks only wants

to eat your face...

good lucky!

K

onzenuub
facebooks only wants

to eat your face...

good lucky!

K

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey Klinkey wie geht's?

Klink
facebooks only wants

to eat your face...

good lucky!

K

gute, u. du?

onzenuub
facebooks only wants

to eat your face...

good lucky!

K

gute, u. du?

Es geht mich sehr gut, Dank fur die Blume. :P

Klink
facebooks only wants

to eat your face...

good lucky!

K

gute, u. du?

Es geht mich sehr gut, Dank fur die Blume. :P

: ) (Blume)

k

Brightlight
I knew this would never stay on-topic :D

It seems I am not alone:

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/i...p;showentry=308

Don't worry, I was pestered by Angelina Jolie who wanted to be my friend on Facebook, sent me dozens of invites. Silly bitch, I've told her time and time again to leave me alone, I'm not interested in celebrity stalkers.

The reason I think there is some fakery going on is someone would have had to intercept the first email and click on the link to activate an account as shown in the second email. So either your email accont is compromised or there is something fake in the emails you received.

Member X

Looking at the link I posted, where the other guy got them, it looks like facebook chancing it to get me signed up, though I still don't know where they got my address from, grrr.

I will ignore it I think and ask sad facebook sheep I know to keep an eye out...

MikeMcNair

i had a buddy do this to me once, and i kicked his ass. i HATE facespace or mybook, or whatever it is that the kids are calling it these days. they are just a way to create drama, and exploit it. if i were you i would ask the facespace staff to look up the IP address of the creator of this account and go knocking on their door.

greg_r

As BL says it could be a phishing attempt - i.e. spam. I've seen quite a few of these lately at work.

Go directly to farcebook (i.e. don't click those links) and see if that account exists. As BL suggests also take a close look at the URLs in the email - they may 'look' right, but it's entirely possible they ain't.

trailboss99

I don't think it's funny mate.

I also hate FB and it also may indeed be a phishing email.

Have you looked at the full headers for the mails?

Col.

wat44

ive been on FB for ages - dont see the problem

it is however, boring

trailboss99

Do you know what they are legally allowed to do with your info and how much they know about you?

Do you also know it is possible to be served via FB?

Col.

Member X

Thanks for the advice, all.

I've not had a look at the email headers, I'll have to work out how to do that then have a look :D lol

(I can do it easily on one of my accounts but I'm not sure how to do it on this one!)

I'm not quite sure how I can go to the account directly either - Facebook seems entirely inaccessible unless you sign up, wankers B) I'll borrow the missus's account and see what I can do though...

Interesting stuff that you can be served via facebook - one more reason not to join... lol

Member X

Ok, update to this situation...

I received another email a couple of days later:

Hi X,

You joined Facebook on xx July 2010, but you still haven't confirmed your account.

To confirm, simply follow this link:

http://www.facebook.com/n/?confirmemail.ph...x%40xxxxx.co.uk

And that's it! Once you do this, you'll have access to all of Facebook's features - commenting, photo sharing, event planning and more.

Important: After today, you'll be unable to log in to your Facebook account until you complete this step.

You may be asked to enter this confirmation code: 9999999999

Again, welcome!

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

which I duly ignored...

...until I received this email recently:

Hi Paul,

You haven't been back to Facebook recently.Here are some people you might know on Facebook. Connect with friends, family, schoolmates and colleagues to see their updates, pictures and more.

AA Add as Friend

BB Add as Friend

CC Add as Friend

DD Add as Friend

EE Add as Friend

FF Add as Friend

» View All Results

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

Sign in to Facebook and start connecting

Sign in

WTF??? :D

So despite never giving that email address out to anyone, never going on facebook in the past, never signing in or confirming their emails received earlier, and therefore never having put one iota of information about myself on the site, I get a list of 6 people that I do actually know? WTF???

I know the FB lovers go on about "It just matches your interests and people you know to give you suggested friends" but how the fuck does it know who I know when I've NEVER been on the site??

Are they infecting PCs or hotmail with spyware/cookies to monitor who I'm emailing or have emailed in the past??

I've not emailed a couple of the people suggested for at least 2 years, so it can't be something recent, and I'm sure that all the people on the site can't have put me down for 'invite a friend' - and the suggested people don't know each other so it's not just one group of friends that are all linked...

How can people not say this is worrying?? B)

andygt

All it will be is that those friends will have linked there address book so it's picked you up from there.

You can take off the tinfoil hat now!

Member X

What do you mean by linked their address book??