Sign in to follow this  
mistabonze

What to look for in a replica

mistabonze

Can you guys help clarify a few things. Im looking for a replica for my wife and a couple for me. I had purchased a Replica Rolex Sub about 4 years ago. Paid about $800. It was suppose to be a grade 1 swiss made watch. I have since purchased an authentic Sub and the replica is really good. The word ROLEX is written in a slightly different font (very slight) but holding the two side by side one can notice looking very closely. Other than that it's really good. The watch continues to work, other than needing a new bezel insert it is perfect condition. I probably paid way too much after snopping around here but it proved to be a high quality watch.

OK. So what do I look for when purchasing a REP. I see there are Japan 21J, Asian made, swiss and many other terms. I saw a recent thread where a reputal forum dealer was selling the same ROLEX that had 4 different specs and 4 prices from $40 to $200. Everyone was commenting on how great a deal. Aslo I believe it was a noobfactory watch? Also looking at some of the trusted dealers on this Forum I have noticed that the watch I want for my wife Chanel J12 in all white no diamonds and silver accents sells for $99 on some sites and almost $250 others. Is thier differnces in the qualities and how do I know which is better-other than price which typically isnt the best indicator.

If I want to get the best REP in quality and as close to the real thingso what should I look for (Japan, asian, etc) I know I will pay more and willing to pay more if it is worth it. For instance with my wife's wanted watch.... what should I look for. Some of the sites do not list the specs and I think only one did. Any help would be great. I have several authentic watches (Rolex Sub, TAG and Invicta) and there are a few other watches I would love to own but with the economy I cant so I would like to get about 4 or 5 REPS. I think it will be a fun hobby collecting the REPS as well......obviously much more affordable, but would like to stay with higher quality. I want to learn! Thanks Guys.

Edited by mistabonze

dingle

Have a read here. I would post more, but I am on the phone. Others will be along shortly to comment. :D

replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4505

MikeMcNair

i hate to say it, because i am relatively new here as well, but the search function is your friend. there is a ton of info on here already, and most of the senior members will not spoon feed us noobs.

also, you really cant go wrong with the "trusted dealer list" that was sent to you immediately upon registration.

i know i am not much help, but there is a ton of info on this site, use it to yer advantage :D

Luthier

There's no such a thing - Japanese 21j. You paid $800 for $100 replica. You're not first, not last.

Read more here. It will take you a few days to realize things.

Find "10 big lies about replicas" topic.

Now you're in right place, you'll be educated.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

mistabonze

Here was a posting of the same watch with different specs. The Asian 21J automatic was the cheapest and a asain copy swiss 3186 movement was the most expensive. What does eta stand for and the numners 2865 vs 3186. I assume these are important. Bear with me as Im a noobie and very ignorant with all this. Also what is the meaning of noobfactory made? Is there a diffenrnce with Japan made vs Asian or are they the same. Thanks guys and I will spend much time searching the site. I have spent several hours already just today. very interesting.

asian 21j automatic

asian copy 2836

swiss eta 2836

asian copy swiss rolex 3186 movement

Also in regards to my future purchase of a Chanel 12J for my wife....what should I look for. I would like to make a purchase ASAP. As I mentioned earlier I have seen the watch for $99 up to $250 from recommended dealers on this forum. Just dont want to end up buying the $99 watch for $250. Thanks and any suggestions would be appreciated. Do most of the dealers buy from the same manufacturers or do they come from differnt places?

Edited by mistabonze

trailboss99
most of the senior members will not spoon feed us noobs.

Quite the contrary mate, we are happy to help out. Really dumb questions can get a bit of a funny look but this ain't one of 'em.

There are no Swiss made reps and no Japan made reps, 90% of reps are made in China, the rest in Thailand and a small portion in Vietnam (very good and very expensive). As for those Chanels go, yes there can be a difference but if you want a bargain get one of the ones PWC/Robert has on special ATM here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...hp?showforum=73 Those are the good 'uns at a wholesale price.

The Subs you were looking at, yes the difference was the MVT. You will find plenty of threads here explaining the difference between the various grades of MVTs available. Read a lot and when you decide exactly what it is you wanna buy, post and ask our opinion on which model to buy. The important thing to remember is that most of the dealers get their stock from the same places anyway so it's down to price and service when choosing a dealer.

Regards, Col.

Baldrick
There's no such a thing - Japanese 21j.

Luthier, whilst you may know how to string a mandolin or a zither, when it comes to watches, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I've heard you chant this mantra before and it's not TRUE, deal in facts man, not misinformation!

A lot of the reps use the same cases as the more expensive ones, it's primarily a question of movements.

Asian 21j movements mean exactly what it says, movements made in Asia, some people will claim there are NO JAPANESE MOVEMENTS, that's not strictly true, some reps use(d) 21j Miyota movements in the early days, these have pretty much been phased out with the adoption of cheaper sourced 21j Chinese made movements, but there still some around.

Asian ETA copies are exactly what it says on the box, Asian copies of swiss ETA mov'ts.

Swiss mov'ts, are. well, Swiss, usually ETA 2824 / 2836 etc, some Sellita mov'ts and some Unitas / Lemania mov'ts.

Virtually all mov'ts whether Asian or Swiss are good movements, Seagull, Million Smart etc etc are regarded as the better mov'ts.

However in general, if it's a lady's watch, I would consider quartz, women generally don't have the same degree of attraction to 'automatic' watches, that's true of genuine watches as much as reps, a quartz will serve her better and be more reliable, and will save your hide.

As for yourself, look around there are plenty of great deals, do NOT be afraid to ask questions, if you think you may be asking a dumb question, apologise in advance and nobody will bite your head off.

If you are US based / Australia based Chinese dealers shouldn't be a problem for you, Mary is a good dealer, if you are UK or EU based, I would recommend Narikaa.

Welcome to the forum :D

greg_r

Some excellent advice above. Take some time and read as much as as you can before moving to the next stage. You might want to take a look at some of the posts pinned to the top of the New Members and General Discussion forums you'll pick up a lot of useful information there. A good read of the watch reviews subsections will probably pay dividends too :Whistle: