Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

Who has the best Sub?

Massimo

Go on, which is best, even if it's "pre-modded"? It's just for fun really, I have a nice SSD so I'm not in the market for a Sub right now, although I am genuinely curious. Here are some candidates:

Andrew's Newbie (available elsewhere with different name?)

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1699

"ETA" version

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=256

Eurotimez "Euromariner" (Can't get a direct link, but it's in the Eurotimez Catalog, Euromariner, Euro Black 2008)

http://www.eurotimez.com/page3/page3.html

WM9

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/products/REFURB-...07-Z-SERIAL.htm

Yes, I know it's this one, but which one, apart from this?

Rolex

http://www.rolex.com/en/collection/oyster-...el/M16610-0007/

greg_r

JohnG does:

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...p;hl=submariner

:lol:

Well, somebody had to do it :popcorn:

Seriously, though - take a look at By-Tor's section for a review of the WM9 sub. Personally, though, if it was me I'd probably go for either BK's version or the Euromariner.

onzenuub

No, I think USA has the best sub.

Someone had to say this :lol:

JohnG
No, I think USA has the best sub.

Someone had to say this :lol:

trident_sub.jpg

The best sub right now must be the WM9 Sub being sold exclusively by BK at RG/RWG.cc - he is taking preorders right now at 375 - 10% will guarantee you that price. Gen ETA. Plus:

- superlumed dial and hands <= this is a ~$150 job

- upgraded dial => The dial looks good. I can see one advantage over the noob dial off the bat which is the date window size and shape looks more correct. The noob dial, considered the best in the game, has this annoying flaw, undersized and not wide enough date window

- upgraded 1:1 dw overlay => WM9 V1 dw overlay was awful. I've been waiting for a perfect overlay. The noob dw overlay is good but nowhere near the real thing. The noob dw font is actually oversized not to mention has incorrect font.

- correct CGs that don't need trimming => I will further ensure the WM9 V2's that I sell have them good. I notice some pics below show perfect CGs while others show the top CG being larger

- superlumed insert pearl with clear coat over

- bracelet with hollow mid links => WM9 V1 has incorrect, solid mid links. I've seen the new bracelet clasp coronet. It's excellent, better than before, better than the noob bracelet's. I have yet seen the SELs. I'm hoping they are sharp. George told me the bracelet-smith can only produce 6 per day.

So it basically doesn't need mods.

Massimo

The BK Sub does look very nice. It's a testament to the quality of the reps nowadays though the minutiae that separate the different models. Having said that, I do like good lume so that superlume mod is a real plus point.

sconehead

I've modded a TWB 'LV', but I'm waiting for pic's of BK's WM9 LV and if it's as good as his normal sub I'm defo getting one... the main reason, superlume, correct crown placement, gen 2824, decent cg's and correct gap twixt hands/dial. Anal, sure, but I've poured more dough into modding a sub than it'll cost to buy BK's that's more accurate, that's if the hype is correct for his 'LV', $375? a bargain... :D

ps get in Cahill!!!! :popcorn::D:lol:

JohnG

It really is tempting at $375 - but the simple fact is that the vast majority of subs out there are fakes. And you could be wearing a gen and many many people will STILL wonder "is it a fake?" I have even seen gen owners bitch about this on TZ - and they are right. Most people wonder - and will wonder - no matter how good your watch is. It has nothing to do with the quality of the rep but rather the make and model of the watch. The only way to fix THAT is to buy a different watch... any other model Rolex is better. But better still is to take the evolutionary step and move up to a Breitling, a Pam, an Omega, or an IWC... They are not only less suspect, but they are more interesting designs and more relevant.

The only Rolex rep I will get in the future is a possible vintage - the vintage Daytonas are interesting...

sconehead

Agreed John, my BCE and UPO get more wrist time than the sub and no one has ever called me out on them. Anything Rolex is always followed by 'Is it real?'

Regarding a vintage Daytona, gens are pricey. The way I look at it is a rep has to be believable, that's why Patek's, vintage Rolex's etc are out for me. I'm even dithering about getting a Hublot because of this.

I can walk into most decent jewellers in the U.K. put £600 down and pay the balance off interest free over 1, 2 or 3 years on a brand new Sub, Omega, Breitling etc. so they're in most peoples reach if they really want one, therefore IMO it makes them more believable to own as reps.

Looking at my rep collection I just figured out I could have bought a secondhand SMP and a Steelfish with what I've spent to date...the horror... :lol:

JohnG

Good point about vintage Daytona...

trailboss99

John nailed it, the BK improved version of the WM9. All day long. The work BK does on these turns them from an overpriced, slightly improved noob to a work of art worthy of sending Rolex crazy. With the existance of this watch there is no need to even think of the real thing. The gen is so overpriced it's a joke anyway. Too much spent on adverts, promos and sponsership by far. Reminds me of the luxury car game. Jag, for example spend about a third of the price of every vehicle on advertising/promos etc. With Rolex I suspect its even higher. A sub should retail for about 1200USD and at that price there would be no need for an uber rep. Allmost anybody could conciveably save their pennies and buy the gen. Even a Briet should be under a cpl of grand if you look at what it costs to make tho obviously the likes of VC, Breguet etc are a different kettle of fish entirly. When one spends a year or more makeing a single timepiece the company you work for is entiteled to charge whatever it likes for a handmade master piece but not the mass produced pieces like Rolex, Pam, Brietling et al.

Col.