greg_r

Movements found in replicas - a quick FAQ

greg_r
I'm interested to know what the term "premium grade" means in the term "ASIAN 21J PREMIUM GRADE AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT", because one of our dealers is offering a smart-looking PAM 312 rep with a movement of that specification that looks a real bargain at $99. http://goo.gl/eFy4y

"21j" is a generic term covering a wide range of movements. As with anything else, some are better than others. Robert generally supplies only the higher quality versions - which tend to be more reliable.

tissotman

Some really interesting stuff there keep up the good work im loving this forum.

sdguy
That about sums it up, yes! ;)

VERY, VERY, HELPFUL to a newbie like me about to make their first purchase. Waiting to hear from Lawrence, but its been a few days, how long should I wait before approaching another dealer?

Fiddo
That about sums it up, yes! ;)

VERY, VERY, HELPFUL to a newbie like me about to make their first purchase. Waiting to hear from Lawrence, but its been a few days, how long should I wait before approaching another dealer?

Welcome to RWG! At times, the dealers can become quite busy. I usually wait about a week before sending any follow-up emails/PMs. If you want, you could send him a PM inquiring on the status of your order.

rudey_1

One of the RWG trusted dealers offers an option on a watch with either the ASIAN ETA 2836-2 Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph (which by all accounts sounds fine) or for an extra $50 the SWISS ETA 2836-2 Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph....

Referring to your earlier Sticky (great stuff by the way) is this SWISS option:

a. likely to be a genuine SWISS ETA movement?

b. worth the extra $50?

Cheers in advance

613Kid

Up until now I have only got 21j watches, but I am expecting my first A6497 mov't watch in a few weeks. I understand this is a hand winding mov't, so does that simply mean in the morning before I put it on I have to wind it up full so it will keep time all day?

Also, what direction do I turn crown? Towards me or away from me? How long should I expect the watch to keep ticking if I wind it full in the morning?

Thanks to all who help this newb learn more and more about this expensive and addictive hobby!

greg_r

613:

1. You wind it clockwise :picard2:

2. Power reserve varies with 6497s as there are various versions - usually anything from 46 to about 55-56 hours. I have a couple that are at the high end of that scale but most seem to average a couple of days give or take an hour or two.

andywell

great info. thx!!

surfer2278

Any information regarding the Asian 7753?

downfromtheglen

Bump. Useful for all.

dingle
Bump. Useful for all.

sticky it is... in my signature you will find.....:)

greg_r
Any information regarding the Asian 7753?

Good point. I'll update the original post asap.

Kipper

Excellent thread - thank you for this information - just what I was looking for :kinkythegayviking:

stewzzy

thanks for making things a lot clearer! great advice and info!!

vfsvfl

This was a very helpful thread, so thanks!

Any suggestions on how an advertised "23J" movement fits in this spectrum? I think I read somewhere a 23j is probably just a 21J with mods(?) /extra screws(?) to enable the original 21J to handle power reserve?

Would you expect such a mod to impact accuracy /reliability /longevity?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

greg_r

Any suggestions on how an advertised "23J" movement fits in this spectrum? I think I read somewhere a 23j is probably just a 21J with mods(?) /extra screws(?) to enable the original 21J to handle power reserve?

Bear in mind that 21j is a generic term.

Most of the 23j models you see around need the extra jewels because of a Power Reserve meter complication. It's not a modified movement - it's a different movement. Some are better than others - the Sea Gull 23J found in watches such as the UN Divers is good quality and likely to last longer than the standard 21J. That may not be the case with some of the alternatives.

Crimosoft

Thx for this great thread :drool:

vfsvfl

Bear in mind that 21j is a generic term.

Most of the 23j models you see around need the extra jewels because of a Power Reserve meter complication. It's not a modified movement - it's a different movement. Some are better than others - the Sea Gull 23J found in watches such as the UN Divers is good quality and likely to last longer than the standard 21J. That may not be the case with some of the alternatives.

Thanks!

BigBuys
Yup - it's a sticky.

mike: it was something we obviously needed. Thanks for pointing it out and making me get off my ass and write it!

MemberX: yup, I agree with your amendments. Thanks! Original updated.

Thanks Greg R!

Please help me with "Asian Automatic 23J with working Power Reserve". I have not been able to find this movement description and review for accuracy and dependabliltiy.

BigBuys

BigBuys
Yup - it's a sticky.

mike: it was something we obviously needed. Thanks for pointing it out and making me get off my ass and write it!

MemberX: yup, I agree with your amendments. Thanks! Original updated.

Thanks Greg R!

Please help me with "Asian Automatic 23J with working Power Reserve". I have not been able to find this movement description and review for accuracy and dependabliltiy.

BigBuys

Well duh! You just answered my question.

church473

Very helpful guide. did not know much about the different types of movements used until I read this.

Member X

That's what we're here for :lol:

Kev

Nevermind

Edited by Kev

Luthier
:)

COMPLICATIONS

Great starter info for us noobs thanks. I've just googled the ST19 and it's a beauty, does anyone know the cheapest watch it comes in?