greg_r

Movements found in replicas - a quick FAQ

medezonok

Thank you.

greg_r

Please tell me there is a manual winding mechanism A 7753

The A7753 is an automatic movement. We occasionally see A7750s converted to manual wind, but I've not seen it done with the 7753

Any advice on handwinding an auto? Can it be overwound?

Most autos can be handwound just fine - just take it slow and easy. Overwinding should not be possible. Personally, though, I don't - I just give 'em a quick swirl and then wear them. That should be enough to get 'em wound...

It's generally not a good idea to handwind 7750/7753s though (if you have to do it be careful) - please see here: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6101

ag69

I wanted to know if it's safe to wind a A7750 watch in a watch winder? If it's safe, do I need to wind it clockwise, counter clockwise, or both.

Member X

I believe the 7750s only wind in one direction, but I'm not sure which direction...

Either way, I believe the mechanism is designed to allow the rotor to spin both ways (but only wind the movement one way) so you should be fine if you place it on a winder that goes in both directions.

I think... :)

greg_r

A7750's wind clockwise.

Note that a lot of winders do not manage to successfully wind A7750s.

Member X

Thanks G, I'm glad I'm not going mad! :P

greg_r

Oh, I wouldn't go that far... ;)

Member X

Oh, I wouldn't go that far... ;)

sssshhhh, the nurses are coming... :sofa::lol:

ag69

Thanks guys!!

Blue Bear

Great thread. Very helpful and anwsers a lot of qusetions for me.

Jagsman

This is great, I was about to post asking for this exact info, no real surprise to see you have it covered. Just took delivery of a silix cheapy and looking for what's next! This could start to get expensive quickly!

black263

Search before posting questions is the way to go.

selasi

Nice one greg! Very informative post. At least I dont have 2 pester anyone with questions about movement now :giggle:

gollomboy

Hi, I've read 'Admin's' extremely informative info on watch movements (which I've bookmarked for easy access and have already used on numerous occasions) but have found an automatic watch with the following description pertaining to the movement: "....top quality Asia Automatic Movement (21 Jewel)" I'm wondering if this is designed to mask an inferior movement, or is, in fact, a genuine 'good thing'.

Your comments would be appreciated. :help3:

Many thanks

onionbag

Hi, I've read 'Admin's' extremely informative info on watch movements (which I've bookmarked for easy access and have already used on numerous occasions) but have found an automatic watch with the following description pertaining to the movement: "....top quality Asia Automatic Movement (21 Jewel)" I'm wondering if this is designed to mask an inferior movement, or is, in fact, a genuine 'good thing'.

Many thanks

Sales spiel.......

What watch, who from?

Leon666

Awesome article thanks

greg_r

Many thanks

there are various grades of 21J movements - some better than others, so it MAY be a good thing, on the other hand, it could be marketing. No way to know without knowing which watch it is...

briko12

Again, another great read for us noobs.

Blaxbolt

Great article, thanks for the info.

theglasslab

<p>thanks for the info...i have so much to learn</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

gollomboy

Many thanks

Sales spiel.......

What watch, who from?

Sorry....have since found another watch I'd rather have and have written to Silix (again) to ask a few questions. It's only a cheapie to begin with.........so will go from there......

jimsusan

I've found Greg's run down on movements invaluable over the past months. I'm currently considering a Rolex submariner as a present for someone:-

http://www.p-cls.com/rlss00128-114060-2012-nodate-p-13581.html

The price of this no date model--inc delivery--seems very good. The movement is described as:-

"new breed nickel plated Asian 2813 auto movement, 25J highbeat 28,800 Rolex style perforated rotor".

This movement does not seem to be listed in Greg's list (the base Asian movement being the lower beat ubiquitous 2813 21J).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or any comments to make on this upgraded 'cheap' movement.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Heisenberg
I've found Greg's run down on movements invaluable over the past months. I'm currently considering a Rolex submariner as a present for someone:-

http://www.p-cls.com/rlss00128-114060-2012-nodate-p-13581.html

The price of this no date model--inc delivery--seems very good. The movement is described as:-

"new breed nickel plated Asian 2813 auto movement, 25J highbeat 28,800 Rolex style perforated rotor".

This movement does not seem to be listed in Greg's list (the base Asian movement being the lower beat ubiquitous 2813 21J).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or any comments to make on this upgraded 'cheap' movement.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've ordered a watch from PC with one of these movements. There is a thread on RG talking about this movement:

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=202775&highlight=2813+high

wizzzard

This is really useful guys - just bought a 7750 and learning about it helps appreciate the watch even more...

Blaxbolt

Thanks for the great info.