Jump to content
greg_r

Movements found in replicas - a quick FAQ

Recommended Posts

Tony P

Thank you for this amazing information , just saved the thread so i can ask more questions when purchasing . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Horace Derwent
On 24/12/2021 at 08:07, GenTLe said:

It depends.

 

Finally also the new Rolex clones aren't bad.

They arre not bad but in several threads i saw that their PR is way less than the 72 hrs.

 

Anyway, this is not a real problem as long as the movement is solid, and these new clones seems to be.

 

All my reps have Miyota 9015 or 7750 or 23J, and , apart for a PP Calatrava from ZF (with micro rotor) which suddenly stopped working after 2 weeks i never, ever had a single problems with Reps movement  even after YEARS of use.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFRADS

Hi Everyone, 

I've been searching the forum for a movement. But I can't find it anywhere. 

It's an omega A8938. It's for the seamaster aqua terra and the watch is from a TD ( https://www.theonewatches.io/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=10463&search=VSF&description=true&page=6)

Can some one with more expertise rate this movement for me? Or at the very least tell me about the rating for the factory which is VSF.  I have two options either this or N1F which I also don't know alot about ( I dont think this is the "new" noob, is it? ) 

 Any help would be appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenTLe
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SFRADS said:

Hi Everyone, 

I've been searching the forum for a movement. But I can't find it anywhere. 

It's an omega A8938. It's for the seamaster aqua terra and the watch is from a TD ( https://www.theonewatches.io/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=10463&search=VSF&description=true&page=6)

Can some one with more expertise rate this movement for me? Or at the very least tell me about the rating for the factory which is VSF.  I have two options either this or N1F which I also don't know alot about ( I dont think this is the "new" noob, is it? ) 

 Any help would be appreciated.  

It's a superclone with 2 real mainspring barrels, so not something widely used. Probably based on parts of other movements plus modifications. Not enough around to do a proper statistic.

But it's not a complex movement, so if treated well and eventually serviced when needed, it shouldn't be problematic.
This one uses a more common Hangzhou 6460 (aka the GMT version of the 2836) with fake plates decorated on top, so I can tell that it's surely more common, used and easy to be replaced in case of troubles: https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=24172 same as this: https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=24941

Edited by GenTLe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFRADS
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

It's a superclone with 2 real mainspring barrels, so not something widely used. Probably based on parts of other movements plus modifications. Not enough around to do a proper statistic.

But it's not a complex movement, so if treated well and eventually serviced when needed, it shouldn't be problematic.
This one uses a more common Hangzhou 6460 (aka the GMT version of the 2836) with fake plates decorated on top, so I can tell that it's surely more common, used and easy to be replaced in case of troubles: https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=24172 same as this: https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=24941

OMG, thank you so much. I really appreciate your super fast response. Hopefully one day I can be as knowledgeable and pass this on .  Till then, I'm grateful. 

Given the choices, would you prefer one movement over another? From what I gather, the ones you mentioned are more common, hence probably easier to repair. Given that, then when purchasing this does the factory take precedence? If so, how would you rank VSF, vs. the two you mentioned (K6F and N1F)?  

Thank you again. 

Edited by SFRADS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenTLe
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SFRADS said:

OMG, thank you so much. I really appreciate your super fast response. Hopefully one day I can be as knowledgeable and pass this on .  Till then, I'm grateful. 

Given the choices, would you prefer one movement over another? From what I gather, the ones you mentioned are more common, hence probably easier to repair. Given that, then when purchasing this does the factory take precedence? If so, how would you rank VSF, vs. the two you mentioned (K6F and N1F)?  

Thank you again. 

Hard to answer. I already have a similar movement in a normal aquaterra (non GMT) and it's ok. A bit noisy at rotor level but not bad.

You have to consider the watch all together: the dial, the dimensions of the case, etc. Personally if 2 watches are totally identical I'd go for the one with the better movement, where "better" can vary between watches... For example for a submariner I'd go for a 2836 movement but for a rolex GMT 2 I'd go for the rolex clone, due to the fact that the 2836 GMT has the hands in the wrong order.

For a thin watch, if possible I'd go for a Miyota 9015 instead of custom movements, unless these last ones are around enough to be proven good.

If the 2 watches have different finishing at case level, then I'd go for the one with better dial and case, avoiding known bad movements but apart from that going for the movement it has.

Also I am able to service and fix my own watches, so it's not a big deal in case one goes bad. But in general I tend to stay on movements that have replacement parts available or that can be purchased as whole movement alone.

In your case, I'd go for VSF probably.

Edited by GenTLe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFRADS

Thank you again. All of this is really invaluable. I think there is alot for me to learn and I do have my work cut out for me, but this points me quite a way in the right direction. Very grateful for your time and insight. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenTLe
6 hours ago, SFRADS said:

Thank you again. All of this is really invaluable. I think there is alot for me to learn and I do have my work cut out for me, but this points me quite a way in the right direction. Very grateful for your time and insight. 

Yeah, it takes a lot of time to learn these things, and you'd never be able to fully go into movement details unless you'll start working on them :) Just think about all the variants of the 7750s that are around. Some very good, some ok, some really crappy... And it takes time and experience and a lot of reading to get to know the right ones :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gunner33

Great thread...thanks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TWT999

This is an exceptional thread thank you.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marcu33

Great info for newcomers, thanks for the insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×