Sign in to follow this  
fijishams

What's the deal, worth paying £100 extra for swiss movement?

fijishams

Hi guys, just on the House of Souvenirs website and noticed that they have 2 sections for some of the brands they sell, one will be for the asian movement and one for a swiss movement.

Anyone have any experience of buying both, any major differences in terms of movement quality and ALSO build quality?

Swiss movement watches generally seem to be £100-£150 extra, does this mean that the build quality will also be better?

Thanks.

Fiji

AllergyDoc
Anyone have any experience of buying both, any major differences in terms of movement quality and ALSO build quality?

Swiss movement watches generally seem to be £100-£150 extra, does this mean that the build quality will also be better?

I have LOTS of experience buying both. Most often the build quality is better on the "Swiss" movement watches. (On Lawrence's site that also includes the Asian 7750 models.) Occasionally the only difference is the movement. Dealers will always let you know if the build quality is the same as it's a selling point.

Frankly, some of Lawrence's higher priced watches can be purchased for less from other dealers. He's got a nice range of decent cheapos, though. You just have to shop around a bit. I use http://www.1-pc8838.com/ for window shopping. If someone is selling a watch for more than Josh, they're overcharging.

Keep in mind, though, Lawrence gives an 18-month warranty on his higher-priced watches. Can't beat that anywhere.

Member X

Does he? Blimey, that's good.

Member X

The other thing I think is a benefit of swiss movement is that if you have to take them to a local watchsmith to get looked at, if they have a decent movement then they are less likely to think they are 'junk' because they're reps. (I would have thought??)

trailboss99

For a Swiss MVT, no but in a lot of cases the difference is more than just the MVT.

The "Swiss" moniker usually implies a higher quality rep as well as the origin of the

engine, different case, different dial etc.

HOS are great for the cheapies but there may be better deals around on the more expensive reps.

You can't knock the warranty tho and I don't think I'd buy a sec@6 'tona anywhere else due to that.

If it ain't gunna fail in 18mths, it's a good 'un!

Col.

JohnG

If the case set is the same, I now go with the Asian. Or even quartz - I got a quartz IWC Aquatimer chrono (the new one) from Lawrence, AWESOME price. Who cares if that tiny little hand is ticking, how many people am I going to meet who know whether that particular watch should have a mechanical movement, and if they get close enough to tell, I have already told them it is a fake.