Sign in to follow this  
neil

arktos 186 from Noob

neil

Just got this and wanted to double check how firm the bezel inserts were attached. They seem firm and I couldn't move them by trying to pry them. Any one know how they are attached? Anyone know how to get the bezel off? I was thinking maybe they are attached from underneath like the PAM 243?

image-1.jpg

greg_r

I'm not sure about that particular version - but on versions I've seen, they're usually glued.

SSTEEL

Agree, usually glued, and many had the loose bezel problem, but this was with the older models of the rep.

Why do you want to remove the bezel?

neil

Just wondered if the bezel inserts were screwed in like the 243, just wanted to make sure I don't lose any of the markers!

SSTEEL

Ah ok. I am unsure. I do own one, but not attempted to remove the bezel on it yet, but plan on doing so as its loose.

ReplicaFromDownunder

I lost a square marker on the one I had. A friend also lost the S. So watch out it may be bound to fall off.

neil

Think I should add glue? If so what type of glue do you think would be best?

SSTEEL

Unsure if you will be able to use glue without actually removing the bezel, then in turn, removing each marker, cleaning mating surfaces with acetone, then applying glue.

As to what type of glue, providing you have the bezel off, and all the markers, cleaned and ready, you could use 2 part epoxy resin.

neil

Ok I pryed off the markers between the NWSE and they were glued, going to try the letters next. Is the consensus 2 part epoxy so that I don't lose these suckers??? Is that going to be my strongest bond?

SSTEEL

Yes, its a good waterproof bond, just remember to allow to fully harden/dry for the recommended about of time. This varies from product to product.

Pob

I just don't understand why play with something that didn't happen lol

I mean i have the same watch and everything is still there ( almost a year ), and why would i start to remove it when they are firmly there lol

But if you feel better that way than good luck :)

neil

I thought that too ppb, I had another sub with similar markers. Lost one after a while and you will never be able to get a replacement rendering the watch less than perfect. So wanted to be pre- emptive!

neil

Just for anyone's interest that may be in or get to this situation....here is what the bezel looks like with the ' glued' bezel markers removed! Now I need to remove the letters....

image-2.jpg

neil
Yes, its a good waterproof bond, just remember to allow to fully harden/dry for the recommended about of time. This varies from product to product.

How about loctite epoxy quick set SSTEEL?

HeavyKrush

Neil, how difficult were they when you finally pulled them out? Mine seem very tight and I'm concerned with buggering them up removing them. Also, what tool did you use to remove them?

fatarms

I'd LOVE to know where you got that strap from... damn. Nice.

neil
Neil, how difficult were they when you finally pulled them out? Mine seem very tight and I'm concerned with buggering them up removing them. Also, what tool did you use to remove them?

I first tried watchmakers screwdriver to pry them but the point is too sharp and left small scratches which I will have to polish out. So then turned to a mini precision pair of pliers which were perfect. Allowed a firm grip and twist and pull and they came off pretty easy. Some were tight some not so...so glad as I may have lost these at some time or another.

neil
I'd LOVE to know where you got that strap from... damn. Nice.

Kain Heritage, desert Alligator

HeavyKrush

I first tried watchmakers screwdriver to pry them but the point is too sharp and left small scratches which I will have to polish out. So then turned to a mini precision pair of pliers which were perfect. Allowed a firm grip and twist and pull and they came off pretty easy. Some were tight some not so...so glad as I may have lost these at some time or another.

Got it. Any updates on the cardinal points?

neil

Took those off last night, same method. Will take pix later. Was thinking about loctite weld epoxy? Any thoughts anyone?

neil

Ok here are the pics with the cardinal points removed....now just have to select a glue...inclined towards a good epoxy as the watch will be my ' boat watch!!!'

image-3.jpg

neil

Was thinking about adding some bling to the 186 Arktos...what do you think?

image-4.jpg

neil

Ok finished up with re-attaching the cardinal markers and mid points on the 186. I used a two part metal epoxy from loctite. Left it to cure for 24 hrs then re finished the brushed bezel ( a couple of small scratches from marker removal!!) also decided to brush finish the crown guard pin as in the gen it was rounded and polished.

image-5.jpg