Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

IWC Mark XVII ... high and low

LightGeek

Just a quick comparo between the $250 and $100/150. And yes, I know the times are set different.

The cheapie is the $100 version special from WI. It originally came on crappy leather but swapped a bracelet on there.

The high beat version was about $250 and came with a slightly better, but still crappy leather strap.

So where does your money go?

1. Much better AR, a little bluish on the high beat whereas the low beat has a slight tan tint. For those in the know, it's the difference between a Hoya multicoated and super multicoated filter.

2. Date font is larger and bolder on high beat. Date change near 11:30 rather than starting at 10:15.

3. Low beat is some crappy 21J that has nearly no detents when engaging the stem positions.

4. Hands stacked farther apart and higher on low beat.

5. Very noticeable "tick tick tick" on the low beat.

6. The movement "cover" under the caseback restricts rotor movement on the high beat. Probably just a QC thing on my copy. I removed the "cover".

7. Unfinished sharp edges all over the place on the low beat. All edges are smooth on the high beat (eg. lug inside edges)

8. Both have similar lume, not super, but very even.

9. Lug hole location on the low beat is different. That is, I couldn't use that bracelet on the high beat version because of the spring pin holes. The fitment is fine but it won't stay.

10. Caseback engraving is shallow on the low beat.

Which one will I keep? Hard to say. It would be unanimous if the low beat didn't have the bracelet -- and that's really all it has going for it.

ana5umu5.jpg

ElvisFreak

I will buy the one with the bracelet.

Just made the decision for you.

See, was it easy or what?

hondo

LG, is your low beat version the same as KW (talked about here and here)? I thought I saw some versions with a decent SS bracelet popping up with a Miyota movement

(not w/ a TD though... so take that at it's face value).

Lars_St

Lightgeek,

Is this cheapy you are talking about the KW version?

I own the KW 21J and really dont find it that crappy? Strap sucks tho..

LightGeek

Yes that is the same. This is the third Mark XVII I've got (second KW cheapie). Nothing ever appears as bad without comparison.

Hazz

could just be your luck, my $150 from KW , changes date dead on 12, agreed on the engraving though

Lars_St
Yes that is the same. This is the third Mark XVII I've got (second KW cheapie). Nothing ever appears as bad without comparison.

Truth.

noobie

Hi LG. Which TD did u get the high beat from? Does the high beat come with 2824 or 2892? The high beat with 2892 and leather strap are usually priced above $320 mark.

LightGeek

Hi LG. Which TD did u get the high beat from? Does the high beat come with 2824 or 2892? The high beat with 2892 and leather strap are usually priced above $320 mark.

It's a 2892 from my usual TD :)

ghoststar

That leather strap on the left looks terrible on the Mark XVII.

LightGeek

On the contrary, it looks awesome in real life. That's just a bad pic :) without that strap I wouldnt keep that watch.

LightGeek
ypyva5ud.jpg

ghoststar

On the contrary, it looks awesome in real life. That's just a bad pic :) without that strap I wouldnt keep that watch.

Really? Hmm. In the photo it almost looks plastic. But I guess it can't be any worse than the plasticky, fake alligator strap that comes with most of the XVII reps.

ghoststar

Does it have IWC imprinted on the underside?

LightGeek
Does it have IWC imprinted on the underside?

It's not a rep strap, it's aftermarket :)

Libertatia

SO which one did you keep in the end?

LightGeek

MK XVII, high beat version.

Libertatia

I have to agree with your decision..... they may look identical, but to anybody who sees, the sweep of the second hand is the difference between night and day.

LightGeek

And that's the problem -- I almost always order several different copies of each. Having comparisons is a terrible way to go :)

spursian

Argh... Still wondering if I should plonk my money on the 2892 v2. Sora from Shinewatch is selling for $298 and Toro is selling for $328... decisions decisions decisions....

Shinewatch: http://www.shinewatch.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=200_208&product_id=352

Toro: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=56_133&product_id=754

Libertatia

shinewatch aren't even a td here.... Never heard of them :/

spursian

shinewatch aren't even a td here.... Never heard of them :/

Oops, he is on the RWI TD list. Could be easier for me to use him because he's also based in Singapore, easier for me to bank transfer to him. Anyway, ordered a PAM from him. Will see how it goes... :)

(I've also used Toro and Josh too...!)

dudeman500

And that's the problem -- I almost always order several different copies of each. Having comparisons is a terrible way to go :)

Which dealer was selling the 248$ one?

And is it still available

higginsd

Can anyone tell me the width at the lugs? Possibly the bracelet fits to the 3777 pilot chrono?

JSJ
Can anyone tell me the width at the lugs? Possibly the bracelet fits to the 3777 pilot chrono?

No it doesn't fit the 3777 mate unfortunately.

I've been round that circle a couple of times. If you want I can measure mine later but I have a feeling the Mk XVII is 20 mm.