_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Patek Philippe 5980 Nautilus Chronograph

waynacove

Thank you DC, great review.

Mr Happy

Cheers DC, this review opened my eyes to PP watches and led me to my latest purchase, a 5980 Nautilus Chronograph S/S with black dial. Awesome review mate!

​Need some boat shoes and tatts to complete the look though ;)

Laparra

Nice review!

FuzzyCoyote

Still enjoy coming back to this post every now and then :)

gran

Great review! Thank you! I want this watch!

Are you considering this replica version of it as the date window is more correct for this steel version?

IMG_1516-1024x768.JPG

IMG_1504-1024x768.JPG

IMG_1511-1024x768.JPG

_DC_

Hey Gran

I do own that blue dial version now, although both date windows are accurate. The blue dial has a white date with black text, and the black dial has a black date with white text, so both are correct.

Here they are side by side

46F82239-F30D-4EF7-B75A-CA592A9EFCCC_zpsubrlxht1.jpg

DC

gran

Hey Gran

I do own that blue dial version now, although both date windows are accurate. The blue dial has a white date with black text, and the black dial has a black date with white text, so both are correct.

Here they are side by side

46F82239-F30D-4EF7-B75A-CA592A9EFCCC_zpsubrlxht1.jpg

DC

Both correct!!!Thats great to know! I learn something everyday here on RWG.

Whats your favorite of the two?

With respect

Gunnar :beer2:

_DC_

My favourite is the blue dial, I sold the black dial fairly soon after this photo was taken!

DC

gran

My favourite is the blue dial, I sold the black dial fairly soon after this photo was taken!

DC

Good thinking! I do like the blue better!

Does it feel better on the wrist compared to the 5711? or just heavier?

_DC_

DC

I won't lie, the 5711 is much more comfortable as it is slimmer and sits close to the wrist, I think because the chrono has a thicker case back it sits proud of the wrist a little and so not as secure on the wrist. On a larger wrist it is probably fine but on my smaller wrists it can be a little uncomfortable at times. I still love it though!

DC

gran

DC

I won't lie, the 5711 is much more comfortable as it is slimmer and sits close to the wrist, I think because the chrono has a thicker case back it sits proud of the wrist a little and so not as secure on the wrist. On a larger wrist it is probably fine but on my smaller wrists it can be a little uncomfortable at times. I still love it though!

DC

Quite suitable for me then

mikeyc78

Where can I get this rep from ? I also am obsessed with this watch and really want the black dial chrono model.

Iz3fuy

Dear DC, thank you very much for all the informations. Because you are for sure our PP expert, I'd like to know if you can tell me how to remove the links from the bracelet of this watch: I've bought a 5980, it is way too large, but instead of screws there are some pins and I don't know how to re-size the bracelet. Thank you.

_DC_
Dear DC, thank you very much for all the informations. Because you are for sure our PP expert, I'd like to know if you can tell me how to remove the links from the bracelet of this watch: I've bought a 5980, it is way too large, but instead of screws there are some pins and I don't know how to re-size the bracelet. Thank you.

You need the right tools which would include a holding device of sorts to hold the bracelet and a pushing device or pin pusher which you tap with a hammer to push the pin out and remove links. I tend to take mine to Timpsons, none of the staff I've encountered there have heard of Audemars Piguet never mind Patek so you shouldn't get any awkward questions about it being a rep!!

DC

Iz3fuy

Thank you Very much!

zai2289

Hi DC,

What an amazing review! Thank you

I am new to this & would love this to be my first purchase, have seen 'Andrew' mentioned a lot - is he a specific dealer & if so what's the best way to get in touch with him?

Many Thanks

_DC_
Hi DC,

What an amazing review! Thank you

I am new to this & would love this to be my first purchase, have seen 'Andrew' mentioned a lot - is he a specific dealer & if so what's the best way to get in touch with him?

Many Thanks

Hi there and welcome for the forum!

Andrew is a dealer called "Trusty Time" on the forum. I purchased mine from a guy called Josh at their sister company "Perfect Clones"!

Here's a link to this watch on their page...

http://www.pf-818.com/pp00093l-5980-nautilis-chrono-rgle-brown-a7750-p-16010.html

You can order straight from their website!!

DC

ronald1980
a6bc0e17f4aa07b00a7e254ec472653a.jpg6dae0b697c5fec2bc97c5900ac2284b3.jpga8c8d757e7c34bf39c0f190f8c54e7f1.jpg here's my new nautilus what do you think?

_DC_
a6bc0e17f4aa07b00a7e254ec472653a.jpg6dae0b697c5fec2bc97c5900ac2284b3.jpga8c8d757e7c34bf39c0f190f8c54e7f1.jpg here's my new nautilus what do you think?

A 5980/1R, nice pickup my friend! I like these more and more every time I see them, I just don't know if I could pull it off, a full rose gold watch with rose gold bracelet!! Looks the business though!!!

DC

ronald1980

I had to wait for the right dial as the dealer kept sourcing the dial that comes on the ss and rg leather straps, I know what you mean but at the right time and the right place it can be "pulled off" the rose gold is pretty solid on par with other rose gold reps I'd say the only downfall I don't like is the little flippy bit on the clasp with the Patek logo is not as solid as I'd like ( it's the same on my ss version )

What's the possibilities of putting this on a bespoke strap , I'd need to source a deployment buckle but would it essentially fit the same as one that would come on a leather strap ?

_DC_
I had to wait for the right dial as the dealer kept sourcing the dial that comes on the ss and rg leather straps, I know what you mean but at the right time and the right place it can be "pulled off" the rose gold is pretty solid on par with other rose gold reps I'd say the only downfall I don't like is the little flippy bit on the clasp with the Patek logo is not as solid as I'd like ( it's the same on my ss version )

What's the possibilities of putting this on a bespoke strap , I'd need to source a deployment buckle but would it essentially fit the same as one that would come on a leather strap ?

I'm afraid not mate, the end link for the leather strap versions has a little "tongue" that inserts into the strap to hold it in place. The bracelet doesn't have this so you can't switch them over!

DC

HeavyKrush

Fantastic review DC!

Godfathar

Dear _DC_ ,

I have searched for your reviews on the PP forum and read them all.. Thank you so much for taking the time to help strangers like me. Your write ups have so much passion, and unbiased, which is how a real review should be. You are definitely an asset to this community, and I totally encourage you to keep it up. and make lives of the knew in the hobby easier.

If I may I have couple of questions:

1- As this review is more than a year old, I am sure many things have changed in the market, and you might have new insights. Now regarding about the 5980/1AR-001 on this review. I have seen the incorrect dial still exists today. although it is such a small fixable issue from the manufacturer with having the red point on the sub-dial to be replaced with, like the original that is, all white. Do you have any idea why they never fixed this little minor issue of changing the minutes on the sub-dial to all white? the part is being produced for other model, why not make it right? since no need to design and create the part.

2- looking at PC website, what other incorrectness you spot on the 5980/1AR-001 that I might have missed.

3- As for reference 5980/1R-001 and I quote you "(technically repped but with incorrect dial configuration)", do you still think it has incorrect dial configuration? again I will refer you to PC Website as he is my TD.

I still think your blue dial is stunning. and done as close as possible to flawless.

Many thanks for your time, and kind efforts,

looking forward to here your input.

_DC_

Hi Godfather!

Glad you found my reviews useful, I'm in the middle of writing a few more as we speak :thumbsup:!

As far as I know they have not corrected the issue with the dial on the two tone version, though I must confess I don't pay too much attention as I'm not a fan of that particular version! As for the other rose gold versions, I'm pleased to say that after I wrote this review they did release correct dial configurations of both the rose gold on leather and rose gold on bracelet, though they still offer incorrect dial configurations too so just be careful. The rose gold on bracelet only comes with an all black dial, and the rose gold on leather only comes with a brown dial with silver subdial!!

Hope this helps!

DC

Godfathar

Hi _DC_ ,

Thanks again for the valuable info. I have seen your rose gold on leather on your signature. to double check, it is this version on PC Website right?

Still trying to figure out if the brown on the dial is close to the original, as you know Josh is not so good with taking pics, too much contrast..

If you have a review or a thread where you have wrist shots, I would appreciate it if you point me to it. also knowing you from months or reading your posts, where did you get the new leather strap from? I know you are not using the rep strap for sure lol

Again, so much love and respect for your kind efforts,