Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Any GMT ideas

KBH

I've ended up with a nice Swiss Eta 2893-2 GMT movement. Can anybody think of a nice watch to put it in?

I'm looking for one that has a dial without any tall dial markers so the GMT hand doesn't become a major issue? And, a non date watch would be preferred but not mandatory.

JoeyB

I am so impressed and happy with the ETA 2893-2 in my 6542 that I plan on buying at least one more to put in my everyday watch, when I get back from visiting my son in a couple of weeks. I broke mine, but it's now repaired and I'd love it in all my watches. I can't justify the expense of that, but I will do the one more. If you have a spare GMT case you might try building a 1675 as the markers are big lume dots.

KBH

Doesn't that present the problem of finding a decent dial without the "Date" on it?

JoeyB
Doesn't that present the problem of finding a decent dial without the "Date" on it?

Not since I discovered water-slide decals and Otto Frei's ETA white painted blank dials, and a water based acrylic luminous paint. It takes a little practice, but I'm getting nice results now. Also, RolexAddict is working on having printed dials made.

KBH

Not since I discovered water-slide decals and Otto Frei's ETA white painted blank dials, and a water based acrylic luminous paint. It takes a little practice, but I'm getting nice results now. Also, RolexAddict is working on having printed dials made.

That could be interesting....Keep me informed.

RolexAddict

Dials printed without the word DATE, are gens or aftermarket with Rolex specs. They are 26mm diameter, our GMT rep dials are 29mm. It means at this day NO ONE rep case will accept an correct dial.

I am on a new 1675/16750 GMT production blow, may be I have found a good case. The problem to check, test and validate my idea, is another 200us$ investment in parts maybe for a one more time "no way" and one more paper weight

One again I say the 1675 GMT master is quite impossible today to replicate, even correct dials are difficult to source. From time to time you can find one or 2, the only dealer you can buy 10 at the same time is Yuki. Unfortunatly the stock they have actually is no top accurate.

I have actually 2 correct GMT Master dials. One is good, the other (Yuki) need to be refinished, for me it looks like junk. I keep them for my own projects. The day I will find 10 good dials for sale at the same time, then I will start to produce and sell 1675. If my case project is good also.

Announce and news in september

KBH

Thanks for the info Joey and RA.

Anybody else got an idea? Maybe Omega, Tag, Breitling?? I'd love to find a simple GMT without date function in particular.

no_one

If you like Pams, the 029 with the tuxedo dial would be a nice build. It does have the date though.

JoeyB

Anybody else got an idea? Maybe Omega, Tag, Breitling?? I'd love to find a simple GMT without date function in particular.

Without the date function makes it a whole bunch easier.

If you have any old dials laying around you might try to experiment a bit. Water-slide decals are available at hobby shops like Hobby Lobby. I bought an 8.5 x 11 sheet at the local hobby shop for under $3.50, and the sealing spray for $5. Most inkjet printers don't print white, so you need to keep that in mind when you buy either clear or white decal paper. I bought clear. For 'gilt' lettering/markers I applied the decal on a dial I took all the paint off of, plain brass. Anything in your print that is yellow or white will show up as brass. If you paint the dial white, or creme color, then yellows and whites show up as creme or white. The black us black. That allows you to make a dial from any picture you want. If you can print it, you can make a dial with it.

I've made my prints at 28.3mm on the 29mm dial which allows for where the dial sits in the case, and print at the highest resolution I have, and print as a photograph which gives better results than what the decal instructions say to use. I make all the size, dpi, and fine touches in Ulead, which is a photo-shop type program, and print from it too. Again, it takes a little practice to get the bubbles out and position it right, it's all so small. I've crumpled and tissed more than a few. But now it's really easy and fun making all sorts of dials, most that I won't ever use. I've even finished up a dial by handpainting the edges and date window. The possibilities are endless. You could even make a RWG dial and donate the watch for our next anniversary!

Brightlight

If you have any old dials laying around you might try to experiment a bit. Water-slide decals are available at hobby shops like Hobby Lobby. I bought an 8.5 x 11 sheet at the local hobby shop for under $3.50, and the sealing spray for $5. Most inkjet printers don't print white, so you need to keep that in mind when you buy either clear or white decal paper. I bought clear. For 'gilt' lettering/markers I applied the decal on a dial I took all the paint off of, plain brass. Anything in your print that is yellow or white will show up as brass. If you paint the dial white, or creme color, then yellows and whites show up as creme or white. The black us black. That allows you to make a dial from any picture you want. If you can print it, you can make a dial with it.

I've made my prints at 28.3mm on the 29mm dial which allows for where the dial sits in the case, and print at the highest resolution I have, and print as a photograph which gives better results than what the decal instructions say to use. I make all the size, dpi, and fine touches in Ulead, which is a photo-shop type program, and print from it too. Again, it takes a little practice to get the bubbles out and position it right, it's all so small. I've crumpled and tissed more than a few. But now it's really easy and fun making all sorts of dials, most that I won't ever use. I've even finished up a dial by handpainting the edges and date window. The possibilities are endless. You could even make a RWG dial and donate the watch for our next anniversary!

Time you posted some pics Joey and did a quick tutorial :)

KBH
If you like Pams, the 029 with the tuxedo dial would be a nice build. It does have the date though.

If I did a Pam it would only be Radiomir style. I see no redeeming social value for the ugly Pam crown guards. :)

Thanks for the advice though.

JoeyB

Time you posted some pics Joey and did a quick tutorial :)

Someone else already has here, that's where I got the idea. To be honest when I read it I was very skeptical about a 'decal dial'. Not no more.

I'm going to visit my Son in Hawaii for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I should do the finishing touches on the white dial 6542 in the case I bought from you. Maybe then. I was stunned at how the decal looks on the blank, white painted ETA dial from Ofei turned out. So stunned that I re-did the black one on plain brass (the script is so much more crisp), and after that I am planning a full custom 16710 with a white face and every feature I like about Rolex GMTs in one watch. I've gotten myself into too many projects at once, so I need some time to sort it all. One of them will knock your socks off, if it works! We'll see.

sishac

Yes, please give a tutorial or better yet, print up a 1675 or 16750 GMT dial so that we can see what it looks like!!! Brings me back to my days of building model airplanes!!!

So, if you wanted to print white, you said that you need a white background....would you then want to go and essentially paint your entire dial white and then print the dial decal in full color...i.e. so that it is black with white letters and lume marks...this would then slide over the entire dial...so you wouldn't have to worry about making sure that your print is straight and such...just that the dial is put on centered....the lume marks you could then just "lume" to get the height and texture, the black parts of the decal would be black, and what is supposed to be white, would be white? Is that what you mean?

JoeyB
Yes, please give a tutorial or better yet, print up a 1675 or 16750 GMT dial so that we can see what it looks like!!! Brings me back to my days of building model airplanes!!!

So, if you wanted to print white, you said that you need a white background....would you then want to go and essentially paint your entire dial white and then print the dial decal in full color...i.e. so that it is black with white letters and lume marks...this would then slide over the entire dial...so you wouldn't have to worry about making sure that your print is straight and such...just that the dial is put on centered....the lume marks you could then just "lume" to get the height and texture, the black parts of the decal would be black, and what is supposed to be white, would be white? Is that what you mean?

The 'search' function is your friend.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...098&hl=6542