Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

Quartz movement

P_Diddy

I know its been discussed before but can quartz movements sweep rather than tick?

The reason I ask this I have a BIG quartz alarm clock and despite being battery driven it 'sweeps' fairly smoothly and definitely does NOT tick.

JohnG
I know its been discussed before but can quartz movements sweep rather than tick?

The reason I ask this I have a BIG quartz alarm clock and despite being battery driven it 'sweeps' fairly smoothly and definitely does NOT tick.

For reasons I don't understand watch-size quartz movements that sweep are VERY expensive - but they do exist. But they are not a cost effective option for reps.

greg_r

Actually there have been one or two reps produced with sweep movements - Robert has listed the occasional one in the past. They're rare though...

GC

As far as I know there are two quartz movts that have a sweep.

The first one is a chrono movt from ISA (not ETA), the small sec hand ticks but when activated the large chrono sec hand sweeps. In fact it sweeps so smooth it puts automatic sweep smoothness to shame, i believe @ 36,000bph/vibrations per min.

The second movt I'm familiar with is from Bulova, (and I'm not talking about the tuning fork movt used in the Accutron in the 60's), they recently brought it out on 3 hand & chrono movts. I believe it also sweeps at 36,000bph/ vibrations per min.

Do some research because I'm sure the ISA movts can be sourced, the Bulova movt's I'm not sure about. :)