Sign in to follow this  
ElvisFreak

I aged my DW Daytona to look the part!

ElvisFreak

One common aspect between all the rep 6263s and the gen 6263s is that, despite that they are as old as some other vintage sports Rollies, they all seem to be perfect: mint looking, flawless, clean, untouched....never work...

while I agree some specimens may have never been work and lived in a safe all their lives, you would think that some would have been worn passionately (say obsessively) and sustained some wear and tear.... maybe even an accident like dropping it into the ocean or lake while fishing or showing... forgetting it on a deck all day long, under a 35 degree blistering sun (in fact left under the hot sun by an owner who does not think it will cause any damage to his $300 timepiece back in 1970.

So, I decided to go that route and have fun doing it...

every vintage rep should have a story:

mine is that the watch was first worn by a sailor in the French Navy for 7 years and went through hell because he was a drunken deckhand who cared none about anything other than his beer and rum.

One day, in a intense drunken stupor after three days straight of drinking beer, rum and Vodka, he decided to give my mom the watch as a souvenir. He tells her he has not long to live because he screwed up his liver so badly and he wants her to have something to remember him by.

Needless to say that another 20 years later I end up with this beat up Daytona...., unrestored, untouched and worn with not a worry in the world...

DSCF64092_zps1dc19a96.jpg

jingo.smile

:D

Nice story and a good looking Daytona!

trailboss99

It would be looking a tad worse for wear than that! I'd say he took very good care of it if it was on the wrist of a deckie for seven years.

SSTEEL

I was expecting it to look far worse too given the story ;)

ElvisFreak

Really? More harsh aging?

Dang, guys, you are a tough bunch!!

What else could I do to give it a harder life?

Edited by ElvisFreak

HWG

What else could I do to give it a harder life?

Wear it everyday for 20 years... regardless of activity. :lol:

P4GTR

Get back to me when that thing has been dragged around the neighborhood in a bag full of change and pebbles attached to your rear bumper. Don't forget to wipe the bezel insert down with a pass or two of oven cleaner on a rag.

Vintage, drunken sailor watch... More like museum piece... sheesh. :giggle:

ElvisFreak

Well

I sols thé watch... It was réal hard to do but i did il.

I was proud of the aging I had done to it.

BC1221

Lol. Having a fake story to go with your fake watch is a bit much IMO.

Plenty of vintage watches can be bought in their original beat up condition or polished to look brand new.

It all depends on how aged you want it to look.

I prefer a faded dial with vintage mustard colored lume that reps a faded tritium look

Case banged up and repo listed quite a few times which can be accomplished but beating the hell out of your watch and polishing.

I can't do the rusted hands thing or the swirls on the dials. I think that's just silly