Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

Measuring hands

Kcore

I'm contemplating repairing a watch that got damaged recently and need a bit of advice on measuring very small chrono hands that have to be replaced.

I've been looking online for a tool and have only come up with the Bergeon 30464, hand guage. While I can purchase it for about $45 USD + S&H , I'm not sure it's worth the investment for me as I don't think I'll be using it much afterward. Has anyone used another method to measure hand hole diameter that they can recommend?

After looking at the Bergeon gauge, I realized that most of us hold our removed watch hands on toothpicks. So I was thinking, couldn't I just measure the toothpick's thickness with a digital caliper where the hand stops? Anyone done this - what do you think?

TIA

ado213

Hi kcore, why don't you just measure the hand pinion sizes on the movement with your callipers, ok you measuring the shaft but the hand hole size should be around 0.01 mm smaller than the pinion size.

Kcore

Hi kcore, why don't you just measure the hand pinion sizes on the movement with your callipers, ok you measuring the shaft but the hand hole size should be around 0.01 mm smaller than the pinion size.

Thanks ado! I like your idea.