Sign in to follow this  
jebus

AP ROO Safari

jebus

Hey guys - new to this hobby (only a couple of reps to my collection) and website but I'll get on with my question:

I want to get the AP ROO Safari. Here's what it should look like:

gallery_356_0.772.png

Do you guys think this is worth getting? As in, have they done enough versions of it to have any kinks ironed out, and is it considered a model of which there are accurate reps etc?

I also hear the asian 7750 movement may not have much lasting power as a seconds@12 due to gears getting worn etc. I'm not too keen on spending $500 on a watch that lasts a few months and cost several hundred dollars to replace! There is also some drama about the datewheel and the dial colour - think I'm gonna need some guidance here...

Anyway, I've found the watch at these websites:

$478 - http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/royal...-safari-update/

AP-2008-10-23-02-02_enl.JPG

$478 - http://asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?b...id=1114&ti=

AP064b1.jpg

$584 - http://www.timeshops.net/AP0119_-_AP_Royal...C_310017-40.htm

310017-40_sml1.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the price difference between the first two and timeshops? I have to say I think the timeshops one does look the best but I would love to have someone who even remotely knows what they're talking about help me out!

Also I've heard that really the best way to go about a watch like this is to contact a few sellers directly, like Hont etc. as they can get a better model/better price? Any ideas on who might be good to contact for an AP and what I should ask them when I get hold of them? Also is there any room to negotiate the price if contacted directly?

Ok - i think thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for tons of questions, but its better to spend the money properly the first time than have to buy it twice.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me on these subjects!

jebus

Silverspeed

The earlier rep Safari had an all white dial...the later version has a more creamy coloured dial which is closer to gen.

Some websites photoshop their pics to make it look it has an offwhite dial...when you order be sure to get the newer offwhite/cream

coloured dial!

The rep-hornback strap is crap...if you want to replace it with a good aftermarket croc hornback strap you need to spend

another $300

To improve the reliability of the movement you can send it to Francisco, he polishes the plate where the second gear runs on

and reassembles the movement in a better way...

All in all if you want to have the best possible rep Safari it's going to cost around $800/$900

narikaa

You have two routes:

The chinese secs at 12 with all the inherent risks that unjeweled plates incur and (as already stated) diabolical facsimiles of a hornback strap

or

The MBK version seconds at nine but superior fit n finish and probably the best hornback out there

Ryk1961
You have two routes:

The chinese secs at 12 with all the inherent risks that unjeweled plates incur and (as already stated) diabolical facsimiles of a hornback strap

or

The MBK version seconds at nine but superior fit n finish and probably the best hornback out there

Where do I find the MBK version?

Baldrick

MBK !

narikaa
Where do I find the MBK version?

Heres as good a place as any

P1020049.JPG

mbjoer

The problem with the MBW version is that the dial is made to resemble the Gen whereas the movement does not. So the running seconds is in a subdial with only 30 seconds.

It may look good on a picture, but in real life it is much more of a tell than a dial showing the real function, even if "incorrect". Very few out there would know the dial positions, but we can all tell that a minute has 60 seconds.

mike73622

Hey guys - new to this hobby (only a couple of reps to my collection) and website but I'll get on with my question:

I want to get the AP ROO Safari. Here's what it should look like:

gallery_356_0.772.png

Do you guys think this is worth getting? As in, have they done enough versions of it to have any kinks ironed out, and is it considered a model of which there are accurate reps etc?

I also hear the asian 7750 movement may not have much lasting power as a seconds@12 due to gears getting worn etc. I'm not too keen on spending $500 on a watch that lasts a few months and cost several hundred dollars to replace! There is also some drama about the datewheel and the dial colour - think I'm gonna need some guidance here...

Anyway, I've found the watch at these websites:

$478 - http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/royal...-safari-update/

AP-2008-10-23-02-02_enl.JPG

$478 - http://asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?b...id=1114&ti=

AP064b1.jpg

$584 - http://www.timeshops.net/AP0119_-_AP_Royal...C_310017-40.htm

310017-40_sml1.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the price difference between the first two and timeshops? I have to say I think the timeshops one does look the best but I would love to have someone who even remotely knows what they're talking about help me out!

Also I've heard that really the best way to go about a watch like this is to contact a few sellers directly, like Hont etc. as they can get a better model/better price? Any ideas on who might be good to contact for an AP and what I should ask them when I get hold of them? Also is there any room to negotiate the price if contacted directly?

Ok - i think thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for tons of questions, but its better to spend the money properly the first time than have to buy it twice.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me on these subjects!

jebus

Hi there,

I have the exact same questions as you have. Can I ask which site did you eventually buy it from? And was this the most ideal one?

many thanks.

Trolex

well, at least we know you searched

Luthier

I'm gonna need some guidance here...

Also I've heard that really the best way to go about a watch like this is to contact a few sellers directly, like Hont etc. as they can get a better model/better price?

SEARCH button and reading our threads for a week - your best guidance.

Hont???

:rofl:

Better model/prices?

:picard:

You know, what, jeb? How about you read our threads and TDs posts for a week or two, get some knowledge, maybe it will help you to get some knowledge?

"Show me the right direction" in the first post smell shity, don't you think?

DFH

Also I've heard that really the best way to go about a watch like this is to contact a few sellers directly, like Hont etc. as they can get a better model/better price?

Hont???

Better model/prices?

You know, what, jeb? How about you read our threads and TDs posts for a week or two, get some knowledge, maybe it will help you to get some knowledge?

Oh, Lord - now you've got Luthier started, Jebus - tread carefully, our new friend...

:death:

theflyingdutchman

...it is a great watch... sec @ 12 watch... @12[/email] version on gen AP strap...

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

06-9.jpg

05-10.jpg

04-11.jpg

03-11.jpg

Edited by theflyingdutchman

sam77

I order one myself from toro!!

it's on the way

http://www.torobravo...&product_id=117

I also order a Donerix hornback strap made out of these leather for $169 shipping inc

EX-SpecialTanning3-2.jpg

Edited by sam77

Cyril_Clunge

Hont???

Better model/prices?

As his only post was nearly 2 years ago I doubt he's listening :D

gran

Its a great looking watch the 12 o'Clock one

Is there any plans to get an even more correct dial on this "ultimate" Safari replica? and is it even possible to make a more correct dial for the Asian movement used?

Why is MBK still doing the 9 O'clock version?

I am all questions today

Cyril_Clunge

But the rest of us are listening

Sorry, your point being?

gran

But the rest of us are listening

Sorry, your point being?

What point? :rolleyes:

subiim

Hont???

Better model/prices?

I think mike was asking how Jebus went...

Maybe he thought he could help him

jeffw69

Hont???

Better model/prices?

Luth getting senile? :lol:

gran

Hont???

Better model/prices?

Luth getting senile? :lol:

:sofa:

I had no idea

azdakota

LOve the donerix strap