Sign in to follow this  
sammysmiths

What to do with Omega UPO thread strip?

sammysmiths

I love my Omega UPO. I think its a V3 model, black bezel with orange numbers. It super heavy and feels a real quality watch. The usual stripped crown thread has been a constant thorn in my side with it. I had it repaired so it just pulls out now to set the time and date, and pushed back in. However, now that is starting to play up and I can no longer set the date as something is not connecting inside. Time setting is fine and the crown does click back in (sometimes with a bit of a wiggle). It also keeps great time.

So, what are my options with this watch I so love? Sell it with the faulty crown, get a new movement and crown, break it for spares?? I've already thrown more money at it getting it repaired the first time. I don't even know what its worth in its current state! Do I really want to spend more money on it when the new ceramic versions are much improved? Give me some advice you knowledgeable lot!

Del Boy

I fixed mine with some flat nose pliers... gave the threaded bit a squeeze to make it slightly oval (and i mean slightly... like 0.01mm, it's tough!) and now the crown screws on perfectly.

Mine was exactly the same, sometimes it clicked in, most of the time it didn't.

Hope that helps.

Del