KeNnY

[IMPORTANT WARNING] For all seeking "quick" relume read this

KeNnY

Hello all,

I receive a lot of questions, why relume takes that much time, and recently I found a strange new idea of some members, that are intrigued and ask for "quick relume service" that takes only 24 hours of disassemble, remove old lume (if), relume, assembly, all done in speed like in few hours, 24 at most.

And I need to tell you a WARNINGS and discourage of these quick works, with these facts to your consideration.

A removal of old lume, the best with correct type of acetone/alcohol/ultrasonic cleaner, to parts/material what is possible to use this technique (meaning the electroplating will not diminish, polished look/varnish or paint will not be removed/damaged) takes best 24-48 hours, so there will be minimal mechanical / tools contact possible with the parts, again due to the possible damage of electroplating etc.

Then preparing the parts for relume, best outside of dial, as the vapors from drying lume can damage the varnish of the dial (matte, glossy), again only if possible, as we have also printed dials (for these you need good ventilated working area with +20°C).

The relume itself NEEDS at least 72 HOURS CURING TIME at ROOM TEMPERATURE (+20/+24°C, if hotter the curing time is 48-72 hours, the specifics are with each binder maker) ! This is not nothing I, or any other modder, watchmaker, supplier of binder (Tritec RC, Noctilumina, W@tchlume etc.) though from their head, but simply due to the FACT of oxidating chemical vapor, that is going out from the curing binder that was used for relume, can damage/oxidate varnish on dial, oxidate hands and indexes - damaging polished look, oxidate crystal, oxidate inside of the case, oxidate and damage stem and crown, oxidate and damage movement jewels and movement parts, dry out oil from the movement and making it starting to rust (loose of timekeeping, and other related movement issues), damaging and cracking of rubber seals of the watch etc. This is simply because, if the relummed parts are not left to dry out in ventilated area, and the chemical oxidating vapor is trapped inside the watch, it will start affecting all the components within the reach of this oxidating chemical chemical vapor. You can try this effect for comparison with super glue, put small amount of superglue for contained area and seal it, you will see after few second all insides will have white damaged residue where the vapor was in touch with objects. The binder is in FACT a glue with a Thinner what is in FACT acetone or any other dissolving chemical, what is also curing with an vapor.

After the proper curing time, it is safe to reassembly the watch, and then best is 24-48 Hours QC control of time keeping and date change, as again with reps the tolerances are big and a bit more screwing of screw that holds movement can make the dial touch of the datewheel overlay, preventing it to change.

So after reading this, basic working time, with the waiting can take around of 7 working days just relume.

I already had 3 watches to repair, due to the oxidation made from the binder, the hands are damaged, movement is damaged, as watch was build in fast, matted dials with indexes still attached (indexes coated also making them no glossy anymore, loosing borders - really bad), indexes overlummed on the dial it self (not removed old lume, and lumming with attached indexes on glossy dial and probably also movement to safe time is VERY DANGEROUS) and probably trapped inside in built watch after few hours, when was good to touch the relummed parts (after 8-14 hours).

This is something people must consider why the relume takes that long. It is because the final QC of the watch, maintaining its longevity, and not to release fast job. And I learned also from my past, fast work doesn't bring quality, quality work takes time and brings better attention to detail.

I don't want to attack anybody, just though, many members would need to know these info, before they will damage theirs, or any other member watches, creating problems and sadness to their self or to others.

Also please, as we are dealing with really strong chemical components, do relume in well ventilated area, so think also for your health.

Be safe and thanks for reading, hope it helped :)

JohnG

Yeah, okay, but how much does the 24 hour quick relume service cost?

:rofl:

machiavegli

Thanks Matej! I think the most important rule is always to pick someone trustworthy (like KeNnY!) to work on your reps!

-Mach

Pharmo

Great advice as always from the relume KING :)

pipaulsen

This warning ought to be a sticky...

WebWind

Great info mate.

Sticky for sure.

wrenches&watches

Holy crap, who knew there was so much to it! Thanks for the 'buyer beware' Kenny!

Stuvetjee

Thanks for posting this matej. Really informative.

As i always tell you to take time with my watches. because i want the smoothest result :D.

Never had any better modder! Thanks for the already done work on my beauties!

And people, Matej is a standup proffesional, kind bloke that knows what he is doing!! :)

KeNnY

Thank you friends,

happy the info is good and informative for most of you :)

Duzza

Wise words Matej. Rushed jobs are rarely good jobs let alone excellent jobs as you provide.

nunu78

Thanks once again Kenny, you are an asset to this forum and the community.

scorpion

24 Hours Fuck that - I want a While you wait Lume job. How about it Kenny a coffee, donuts and a lume all in 60 minutes :rofl:

Jokes aside Kenny you make a clear point and it seems a lot of people are now doing lume jobs and cutting many corners.

Wriggles

All quality work takes time. Anyone who doesn't understand this and won't accept it should go cut corners somewhere else. Some people just don't have a clue.

Keep the work to the quality you clearly supply, your reputation is everything. Don't give in to people like this, if the work is good it generates multiples in return business. Simple!

gravedigger

This is a quick and effective solution :

Book-And-Laptop-Light_47854535.jpg

mdakers68

Good info ......thanks for posting !!

kamma

Great info mate.

Sticky for sure.

+1

Great write up that Matej and a good insight into what it takes for you to do the quality work that you put out everytime.

Thang

Thanks for sharing very good advice. I agree that quality is the important thing to remember when doing service.

Mystery Shopper

Great post Kenny.

Patience is required in this hobby for most things. Much better to wait a couple of extra days for a quality job. I did have one of my watches relumed in Asia as the lume:binder ratio could not have been right and lume was flaking off like dandruff on the inside of the crystal.

firnatine

My skyland following Kennylume , good results come for those who wait...

SKYLANDRELUME.jpg

elp

Thanks Matej, wise words!

DG335

24 Hours Fuck that - I want a While you wait Lume job. How about it Kenny a coffee, donuts and a lume all in 60 minutes :rofl:

Jokes aside Kenny you make a clear point and it seems a lot of people are now doing lume jobs and cutting many corners.

Actually I want a fecking virtual relume done in the peace and quiet of my own home - can you arrange that?

dingle

+1

:lol:

elp

Actually I want a fecking virtual relume done in the peace and quiet of my own home - can you arrange that?

No worries

300-phosphorescent-toy.jpg

Monty010

Matej so are telling me you could have done my speedy in 24h?? Nah mate just

Pulling your leg ;)You know what they say you can't hurry art.

So guys in short if you want quality work done. Sit down relax and let a pro handle it. And wait.

bradj

I've got a cwazy friend that can do it pretty quick.