Sign in to follow this  
ilyailya

Used 1950 Fiddy not working ; (

ilyailya

hi, I have purchased a 1950 fiddy from one of the sellers on repgeek . Just got the watch . It looks great, but the movement is not working. When I try to wind it, it feels like its fully wound.

What should I do? Is it an easy fix? Previous owner said it might be gummed up oil. (watch was lubed and regulated)

thank you

Member X

I'm no expert but I would say you could either get it serviced (anywhere up to $/€/£100) or just buy a new Asian 6497 movement for about £35 and ask a rep-friendly local watchsmith to swap it in.

It depends - I assume the movement is engraved? In which case it would be good to keep it.

Post a clear zoomed in picture of the movement - someone might be able to help :lol:

Just to ask some silly questions but just to be clear... is this your first handwind watch? You have undone the crownguard lever that presses the crown in? And you're definitely winding it the right way? (normally they wind clockwise as you look directly onto the face of the crown)

ilyailya
I'm no expert but I would say you could either get it serviced (anywhere up to $/€/£100) or just buy a new Asian 6497 movement for about £35 and ask a rep-friendly local watchsmith to swap it in.

It depends - I assume the movement is engraved? In which case it would be good to keep it.

Post a clear zoomed in picture of the movement - someone might be able to help :lol:

Just to ask some silly questions but just to be clear... is this your first handwind watch? You have undone the crownguard lever that presses the crown in? And you're definitely winding it the right way? (normally they wind clockwise as you look directly onto the face of the crown)

thanks for fast reply. Yes i own many manual wind watches. This one does not wind RIGHT. IT does not let me wind it at all. I dont want to force it and strip something. and yes movement is engraved. I think its the good version. If servicing will be around 150 bux. (I feel like i got ripped off.) . The guy who sold it said it stoped on him once but was fine after he let it sit for while. I guess that's why he sold it.

prestigewatchco

These are not usually a problem and fixing them is relatively easy .

A picture may shed some light on the problem usually they only need cleaning but parts are easy to find if they are a problem $25 gets you a complete movement to take parts off

greg_r

First thing would be to contact the seller.

Having said that, though, these movements are generally very reliable and should be easy to fix. Hopefully someone here can offer some advice - alternatively you'll need to get a watchsmith to take a look at it for you.

Member X

For $25, I'd be tempted to get a new movement and get a watchsmith to swap the engraved bits across for a little bit more...

Definitely contact the seller though. It doesn't just stop working in transit from a bit too much lubricant :thumbsup:

Is the seller a newbie or an established member?

narikaa

Jeeesh

Get your watchsmith to spin it down, a quick clean ...likely as not problem solved

Brightlight

Sounds like the stem might be a fraction too long (does it run with the lever undone?) or perhaps the movement is not evenly held in the case. These movements seem prone to stopping if they're subject to uneven pressure.

ilyailya

watch smith says they cleaned it few times, watch runs but then stops. Does not know why. Another person will take a look at it tomorrow.

basically another 79 bux gone and watch is not running . Contacted seller, will see what he says.

thanks guys.

Member X

Hope you can get it sorted :lol:

narikaa
watch smith says they cleaned it few times, watch runs but then stops. Does not know why. Another person will take a look at it tomorrow.

basically another 79 bux gone and watch is not running . Contacted seller, will see what he says.

thanks guys.

You have to pay your watchsmith when he fails to deliver !!!

No fix - no fee

AustinTech

narikaa is 100% correct.

As long as you keep paying him to do nothing, he will continue to do nothing.

No fix - no fee = results

narikaa

Exactomundo

Would you stand for taking your car to be fixed as it was backfiring a little

To be told "well we've put a new set of tyres on it and unfortunately we still dont know whats wrong - tomorrow we'll try a new exhaust and a new clutch plates"

???

Like the mechanic above

Either

He's bleeding you like a mug

or

Expecting you to pay for his inability to do his job

ilyailya

Ok FINALLY got my watch from a friend watch repairman . He said that some one oiled it with wrong oil and it gummed up. So he fixed that and it runs great now. Seller said he will help with some of the bill.

so all is good now.

thanks for all the info.

sorry pics are not that great.

panerai.jpg

panerai2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so now i have a 001 pam, a breitling navitimer two tone ( not the closest rep but sure looks nice ) some theorema skeleton watch i got on ebay, and this beast. I think i m done for some time now ; )

thanks

Edited by ilyailya

Member X

Excellent! :)