Sign in to follow this  
jerkstore

When a clone isn't a clone: making an SOSF franken

chats

happened to my santos too, it says that its swiss eta with 28800bph. i dont know about the swiss but my watch movement is a low beat movement. i was very disappointed, but hey i must learn to love the watch

jerkstore

This RWI sale is an example of why the TDs (knowingly or unknowingly) deceiving their customers about movements is a problem:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=173624

1. The seller lists his used "ETA clone" SOSF for $199

2. He gets pushback on the price, considering the fact that TDs are selling new "clones" for about the same price

3. Posters rightly speak up about the fake clone fiasco--if his movement is a real clone, the price of $199 is justified

4. The seller posts a movement shot. Turns out he has a fake clone :(

BCDC0A71-B53B-49F3-9A36-BA4EF2DC3742_zpsxtozpfsz.png

All the more reason that TDs should be required to send clear movement shots as part of QC. M2M sellers should do so, as well.

HeavyKrush

JS, what are the quick tells. Would like to buzz through my collection just so I know.

jerkstore
JS, what are the quick tells. Would like to buzz through my collection just so I know.

The factory tries to imitate the 2836-2 from the case back view. If you take the movement out of the case and remove the dial, you'll see that there is no comparison. But looking into the open case back, the easiest tell is that the dial feet are held in place via screws, rather than clamps:

7A1409F2-62EC-4E48-9651-49F6AE2AB8E0_zps73bnh5m5.jpg

Another thing I've noticed is that these movements seem to have completely sterile rotors and decorated bridges.

Edited by jerkstore

wrenches&watches

Nicely done, can't say I've experienced the same issues. Not sure of the movement in my SO 44 as I requested it from WI, but it's a flawless champ for under $300 to my door.

Doomsday

This RWI sale is an example of why the TDs (knowingly or unknowingly) deceiving their customers about movements is a problem:

http://www.replica-w...ad.php?t=173624

1. The seller lists his used "ETA clone" SOSF for $199

2. He gets pushback on the price, considering the fact that TDs are selling new "clones" for about the same price

3. Posters rightly speak up about the fake clone fiasco--if his movement is a real clone, the price of $199 is justified

4. The seller posts a movement shot. Turns out he has a fake clone :(

BCDC0A71-B53B-49F3-9A36-BA4EF2DC3742_zpsxtozpfsz.png

All the more reason that TDs should be required to send clear movement shots as part of QC. M2M sellers should do so, as well.

+1 totally agreed

solkryssare

We are aware of this problem. The thing is that most dealers are just the middle man and don't necessarily have the know how, interest or time to check the movements before shipping. They list what the factories tell them to and that's where the problem is. While we have some power of influence with our dealers, we have none (and no wish to either) to interact with the factories.

The OP told me about this issue before posting and he is doing the right thing posting about it. Props to Toro as well for ha handling this like a gent.