Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: Popping a Bezel on a Sub

JohnG

JohnG tutorialTM - Rolex Submariner Bezel Removal and Replacement

PointingRight.gifby JohnG the WatchExpertTMPointingLeft.gif

Introduction

Remove and replace the bezel on your Rolex Submariner.

This unique JohnG TutorialTM will guide you through removing and replacing the bezel on your Rolex Submariner. The same general process can be used with a GMT Master II. The same process can be used with the two tone (16613) and solid gold (16618) subs. Just be extra careful on those 2, as the 18k gold is a lot softer than the SS.

**** I'll say it now. Attempt the following steps at your own risk. If you trash your Rolex, I'm not buying you another one! *****

F4ZTUZBFFRD93AJ.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 1 Prepping for the POP

For this instructable you'll need:

- Tape (electrical tape works great)

- A thin bladed knife. Not too sharp. Butter knife works great.

- Plastic bag (optional)

- A Rolex Submariner watch.

- 4X Jewelers Loupe (optional)

- Patience. This is my first Instructable, so bear with me.

- A reason to do this. The bezel on my watch was binding up when trying to turn it. I removed mine to clean it. Some people like to change bezels from time to time. You'll note that mine has a green bezel. Most Subs have a black one. If I can source a black one, I'd change it for a new look. Certainly cheaper than buying a whole new watch. Some GMT Master II owners will swap between pepsi, black or the so called coke bezels. Google those terms and you'll see what I mean.

So, first we have to prep the watch to avoid scratches. Some may want to remove the bracelet, but that's unecessary. You'll want to place a piece of tape right on one of the lugs*, ensuring it's right up against the bezel, but NOT covering the very thin gap between the watch case and the bezel.

IF you've never done this before, there's a spring that can fly off in the next step. It's really small, and it'll be a bugger to find if it takes flight. It may not be a bad idea to place the entire watch in a plastic bag to catch the potentially airborne spring. I've done this before and know how to avoid the flying spring. It would be harder to see the pics if i used a plastic bag anyway.

*on a watch, lugs are the "shoulders" that stick out from the case, between which the bracelet or strap is attached.

FDUM05GFFRD93A6.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 2 POP time.

Being very careful, press the tip of your knife into the crack between the case and the bezel. You need to insert it just enough for it to grab the bezel. Then pry the bezel straight up, prying against the tape covered lug. It doesn't take a ton of effort.

First pic shows the watch just after the pop, second with the bezel removed.

F16J672FFRD93AN.MEDIUM.jpg

FTD3K4HFFRD93AL.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 3 Be very CAREFUL with this spring.

Here's a pic of the spring that allows the bezel to click when you turn the bezel. It's not a coiled spring, but a straight spring. It's shaped like an L with a curve on the long part that has the same curve as arc of the watch face. It's a horrible thing to lose this spring. You'll also see that there is a lower ring still on the watch in the first picture. The second picture shows all the parts separated.

FKU5STAFFRD93AE.MEDIUM.jpg

FAN1O7QFFRD93AK.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 4Removing the bezel insert.

The bezel is really 2 pieces (first (blurry) pic), the bezel, and the insert (green). The insert is made of anodized aluminum. It's pretty easy to pop out. From the back of the bezel grasp it like I'm doing in picture 2. Apply even force with your 2 fingers until it pops out of the bezel. 3rd pic is of all 4 parts. If you want to take it apart any more, you're on your own.

FT705L3FFRD93AP.MEDIUM.jpg

FYQ0KRAFFRD93AG.MEDIUM.jpg

F4ZTUZBFFRD93AJ.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 5 Reinstalling the bezel.

To reinstall the bezel, first place the inner ring on the watch. Then carefully insert the spring in the hole in the case and gently tuck the long part of the L into the slot along the raised round part of the watch. I'll reuse a previous picture to show you what I mean. Now take the bezel (insert still removed) and line it up with the case, starting at the spring. You'll then apply even pressure with both of your fingers as you work your way around the bezel (pic 2). Ultimately your fingers will meet opposite the spring, and if you're pressing hard enough you'll hear a distinct click as it snaps back into place. Don't be afraid to use some pressure, that stainless is strong. Gold watches will require the same pressure, but you'll want to be a touch more careful because the gold is pretty soft. Make sure you hear the click. You don't want your bezel popping off and falling through the subway platform on your way to work.

Once it snaps into place, you can rotate it and make sure everything is working properly.

FKU5STAFFRD93AE.MEDIUM.jpg

F04E7IQFFRD93AM.MEDIUM.jpg

STEP 6 Reinstalling the insert.

This is very similar to installing the bezel on the watch. First, make line up the insert so the triangle is EXACTLY lined up with the 12 o'clock position. (This is another reason you may perform this instructable. You'd be surprised how many of these watches are a touch off from the factory with this alignment. Many won't notice. Some will be driven crazy)

Once positioned, do the same 2 finger walk around until the insert clicks into place. In my pic, I'm going to hear the click just when my fingers both reach the place around the 40.

That's it. You're done. Enjoy your watch.

F4DIH28FFRD93AI.MEDIUM.jpg

FTOH3PYFFRD93AH.MEDIUM.jpg

PointingRight.gifOKAY NOW GIVE ME ANOTHER STICKY!!!!PointingLeft.gif

greg_r

You're gonna get fat.

1753066328_501b62de33.jpg

Good post, John :lol:

Prolly belongs in the watch repair forum, though - be easier for newbies to find there.

KBH

I broke my watch and it's all your fault. You owe me a new one.

Actually John, a lot of reps have a different bezel and spring assembly. One with a long wire spring that goes all the way around the bezel. Other than that, it's still the same theory.

onzenuub

Finally, this is a good one John

oscarmadfish
:lol:

alphakazi
at your own risk.... ...Plastic bag (optional)... Patience... This is my first... so bear with me.... Some people like to change &*$^& from time to time. You'll note that mine has a green...Most &$@(! have a black one. If I can source a black one, I'd change it for a new look....you'll see what I mean....

So, first we have to prep the (*&%$ to avoid....but that's unecessary.... very thin gap...

IF you've never done this before....It's really small...Being very careful, press the tip of your &*@( into the crack between... You need to insert it just enough...It doesn't take a ton of effort. ... with a curve on the long part...It's a horrible thing to lose...You'll also see that there is a (*&^# ring still on...It's pretty easy to pop....Apply even force with your 2 fingers until it pops....you're on your own. .... first place the *#^@ ring on.....Then carefully insert the *(&^@# in the hole....gently tuck the long part ... long the raised...apply even pressure with both of your fingers as you work your way around the (*&^@#....and if you're pressing hard enough you'll hear a distinct.... Don't be afraid to use some pressure....but you'll want to be a touch more.....You don't want your *&^@# popping off.....you may perform this....Some will be driven crazy....

Once positioned, do the same 2 finger walk around until the.....just when my fingers both reach the place.....You're done. Enjoy.....

this tutorial owns

JohnG

Okay, I cannot tell a lie.

I am NOT a watch expert, I just play one on the forums. I have never had bezel off - I copied the content from an article linked by Onze at RG. He just (as always) posted the link. I figured I would actually put five minutes of work into it (copy and paste) and then call it my own... Hell, we're on a fake watch forum, so why the hell not?

greg_r
Okay, I cannot tell a lie.

I am NOT a watch expert, I just play one on the forums.

So does Fakey, so what the hell... :lol:

Wherever it came from, it's still exactly the kinda thing that folks will find useful, so thanks for sharing :lol:

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research." ~ John Milton

trailboss99

Good post? Great post!

9/10 mate. If it had been your work it would have been 10/10. :lol:

Col.

alphakazi

as greg said, this is EXACTLY what the forum needs

Tressles61

Over a year later and still a very useful post - Thanks John!

part_timer

Hi folks,

The Rolex GMT that I received from watchinternational 'bout 2 months ago has developed a roulette action bezel, and I do like setting times with it, but it's allways moving!

Ok, my problem is, I've tried using a cutlery knife like the one above and a thin edged Swiss Army knife, but all I can do is get the bezel to lift about 0.5mm. No matter which way I turn and twist the blade the bugger won't pop off! ;)

I did the same on my Alpha GMT some weeks ago and it came off no problem. Any advice, I really don't want to mark the watch by giving it a lot more leverage. Do some bezels simply refuse to come off? What are my options? ( I've tried the floss, don't ask, strands everywhere! :D)

Cheers :D

ImWatchingYOU

You dont need to use any glue to fit the bezel back? it just pops in that securely?

rct96

Can I use this DIY for Omega PO too?

Amit

Wonder if this process is the same for a DSSD?

naked

Why my sub bezel is different?my Replica has a bezel different system!Where can I find replicas that have the system as the genuine?thank

greg_r
Why my sub bezel is different?my Replica has a bezel different system!Where can I find replicas that have the system as the genuine?thank

The vast majority of decent quality sub reps are exactly as per the example in this post. There are some variations in tolerances, but the basic construction remains the same. All bets are off if it's a cheapie, though.

In what way is yours different?

naked

In my rep there isn't the disk and the spring it's bigger!I bought 4 years ago and mounts an eta 2836!Who sells replicas as well?Can I replace only the case?

greg_r

Finding a case alone is likely to be tough. Most of the trusted dealers can supply a decent sub, though.

Eiderdaus

hihi

naked

Where are this dealer?Are there some dealers in EU, i'am italian and i would't have any problems with italian custom

naked

The Noobmariner has the gen system bezel?

naked

powderfreak
Where are this dealer?Are there some dealers in EU, i'am italian and i would't have any problems with italian custom

Have you ever taken a look here?! :)

I think it doesn't.

Next time please don't repeat your question until someone comes along, will you? : :sillywalk: