Sign in to follow this  
skintrade

Reps, What are they Good For.....

skintrade

Just like when Springsteen asked 'War.... oh-arr, what is it good for?". Perhaps the same could be said of replica watches.

Well here is my take on the Gen v Rep buying experience.

The Gen

Spend some time in various jewellers eyeing up the watch you that you fancy (or can afford).

Buy it.

Slip it on your wrist for special occasions but dont wear it if drinking.... in fact lets just keep it in its box just in case it gets damaged.

Wonder if you should have spent £3k on an orniment.

The end.

The Rep

Take some time on RWG and the likes researching some sweet time pieces.

Hey, just don't settle on one, go on bag a dozen.

Slip it on your wrist ANYTIME and get some real use and satisfaction and have friends wooed by your splendid wrist action.

Wonder and marvel at all the money you have SAVED.

It doesn't end there, you invest time gaining knowledge about all your watches and what actually makes them tick :) and have a good experience whilst doing so.

So in summary, Reps, what are they good for....?? Just about everything I would say.

GC

Gens have their appeal too...

As heirlooms, treating yourself to something extra special, or as a piece with sentimental value.

Of course Reps are much more fun, and you get to have them all... or at least go broke try'n!

Chronograph

Picking up the chicks

I got the rollie on my wrist

when the girlies see that shit

they want to jump up on my d*ck

:lol:

I just made that up. I should be a rapper! :)

AustinTech

Gens are great, but you better be damn sure that is a watch you are ready to live with for a long time. Because of that, they tend to be very serious.

Reps are much more fun and light. Some are really good, and can provide a lot more enjoyment than their price. Those are the ones I aim for.

TAGster

I agree with all so far.

In my personal experience: for me being involved on the rep world has taught me some good lessons.

First of all, stop spending large stupid amounts of dollars on gen watches. I used to buy at least two gens a year, one for Xmas one for Bday, now, I think I would never buy a gen watch again unless is something very, very special.

Number two: Since I´ve been here in RWG (not a long time by the way) I´ve learned a lot of watch movements, specifications, terminology and I learned to appreciate the Horology as an art, and I understand now that a watch is not only a device to read the time, but also a piece of art and engineering itself.

So, I agree: reps are much more fun to collect, wear and why not to show off. He he.

Ohhhh, and reps are very useful to fool those typical smart ass that wants to know everything and pretend to be "experts" when talking about watches... that is the best use I´ve got for reps, ha ha ha.

pollux1

Gens are great, and certainly I love mine but for sentimental reasons rather than monetary, mind you some really aren't worth the money tbh. Reps are great and hunting down the nice ones is all part of it.

Baldrick

Reps? I use 'em as door-stops or paperweights :lol:

speedzmaster

Reps? Good to try before you buy the gen.

coolin

I agree with all of these posts as each have there merits!

As for my take, it will be my 50th birthday in 7mths time and my wife has set aside £5k for an extra special treat which is gonna be my 2nd ever expensive gen (sold the 1st after several years of little use bad decision I guess)

Since joining RWG I have gained so much more information about horology in general and through the purchase of around 10 reps so far my decision of which gen to get has already changed 3 times.

By the time my birthday arrives I'm sure I will have changed my mind a few more times but one things for sure it will make my purchase a well studied and well researched one with the added bonus of getting a feel for my acquisition in rep form before hand.

Regardless of what I choose I still marvel at the quality of the reps, of course I can pick faults with them all on one thing you can never fault is there price :D

Col