Sign in to follow this  
Member X

2010 Rolex Explorer 1 - picture review

Member X

What can I say but WOW...

I was lucky enough to be awarded a reseller number in Robert's recent promotion (thank you very much, Robert!) and I wanted to make good use of it, despite being poverty stricken :P lol

I had been seriously fancying the 21j Explorer 1 that Robert recently listed:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6410

but being afflicted with perfectionist tendencies :blush: :P what I really wanted was one with the correct sweep.

Well, blow me down - the day I was going to PM Robert to ask, he lists the 2836 version in his forum! :)

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6838

So, the plastic was duly braced for impact :D I ideally needed someone else to come in on the deal so I didn't bankrupt myself lol, otherwise I was just going to have to buy the $99 PAM 183 Black Seal and the $99 PAM 1950 'Fiddy' he lists in his forum too... ;) but fate brought me glad tidings in the form of 'inverness', a 'noob' who was looking to start his collection with some of Robert's bargains!

In the end we ordered the 2836 Explorer 1 for me, and the 21j Explorer 1 and the Tag 1887 Chrono ( http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6411 ) for inverness.

After working through the costs and options on shipping from Robert and onwards shipping from me, the order was duly placed and funds dispatched.

A week later, I had a card through the door on my arrival home from work... ;)

What did it contain?

These :thumbsup:

20100805005.jpg

I will let inverness review the Tag in a separate thread as I don't want to steal his thunder :) but the Rollies are AMAZING :o

They are exactly the same bar the movement, and they feel so well built that I think they would be good value at $250 for the 2836, nevermind the $127 they're listed as under the Reseller price!!

Crown is a little bit 'grindy' while unscrewing it and doing it up again, but once it's 'broken in' a bit it will be a good, secure fit.

Crystal is flawless, and the etched crown is virtually invisible in all but the exact lighting conditions!

Bracelet is a great weight. Little bit sharp on the edges but it's not a problem, and it has a tight clasp. Brushed finish is the first brushed finish I have, and it's a refreshing change to not have to worry about scratching polished midlinks! Screws between the links are a good fit and not too loose but not too stiff to do up.

Endlink fit is TIGHT - no movement here at all.

Rehaut engraving is virtually spot on - if the engraving was rotated literally 1 degree anticlockwise (have a word with the factory, Robert ;)) it would line up 99.9% perfectly! :o

Lume is average rep lume, unfortunately, but then you can't have everything lol

So, apart from the rehaut being the tiniest of tiny amounts out, I would definitely call this a super rep in the 2836 version. I just handed it to a colleague and he said it felt and looked like a gen!

Anyway, you want to see some pictures, don't you! :(

Here you go ;)

dscf4827.jpg

dscf4828c.jpg

dscf4829.jpg

dscf4835y.jpg

dscf4841.jpg

dscf4842w.jpg

dscf4843t.jpg

dscf4845u.jpg

dscf4852a.jpg

dscf4853a.jpg

dscf4856.jpg

dscf4857.jpg

dscf4865.jpg

I think it's stunning, and will definitely be on my regular wearing list :thumbsup:

But... what about the movement difference?? I hear you ask...

Well, the blue-wrapping one is the 21j, the one with no wrapping round the head is the 2836:

dscf4852b.jpg

dscf4853b.jpg

Can you count the beats? :P

2836 is smoooooth as you like, completely gen-like. 21j is still good - obviously won't be as close as the 2836 but, seriously, it was $58.40 - for that price, this watch is the bargain of the century!!!

I managed to get a short video of them next to each other as I figured not many other people will buy both and it's therefore a great opportunity for a comparison. I'm hoping it will work - on my phone it was a bit jerky, but I can't tell if it's the phone or the stupid network... See what you think!

http://yfrog.com/jn20100806006z

Overall, this watch in 2836 is an utter bargain at the full price, and even more so at the Reseller price of $127.

At $99 for the 21j it's probably one of the best value watches out there. And at $58.40 Reseller prices, I think Robert needs his head examined... LoL

9.9 out of 10!! :thumbsup:

I must thank inverness for coming in on this deal with me - he has been a great 'noob', communicative and understanding and a really great bloke B)

Apologies for stealing your thunder on the Rollie! lol

dingle

:D :( :)

pics are amazing as well :thumbsup:

inverness

i cant wait to get mine now!!!

looks fantastic

debian

Clever pics where you can count the beats. :D

Member X

Ok, day two of wearing it... :D

20100807002a.jpg

Thoughts after extended wearing?

Super comfortable, you forget you're wearing it! Seems dressy but understated, something you can wear for formal or casual.

I have noticed the rotor being slightly noisy when it gets a big movement of the arm, and you can kind of feel the weight in it moving slightly, but it's not bad at all :)

Rehaut, upon closer inspection, could do with slightly better polishing up before assembly, and I think maybe the crystal is a fraction of a degree rotated as the crown etching is a tiny bit off, but apart from that it's all good B)

barkingtoad

Good review

Great pics

AustinTech

That's a well balanced, understated beauty. Looks great, and a good review to boot!

Looks at home on your wrist, X.

The Tag doesn't look 1/2 bad either.

Whats thesize on these? 36mm?

Member X

Not sure on the Tag but the gen rollies are 39mm according to someone on my cross post on RWG2, and I measured mine about 39.5 so I reckon they're pretty accurate :)

Baldrick
Not sure on the Tag but the gen rollies are 39mm according to someone on my cross post on RWG2, and I measured mine about 39.5 so I reckon they're pretty accurate

Wrong!

Explorer ( 114270 ) is 36mm

Explorer II ( 16570 ) is 40mm

P_Diddy

how come the new rep is noticeably bigger, I was expecting it look tiny on Member X's tree trunk but it looks ok ;)

Not sure on the Tag but the gen rollies are 39mm according to someone on my cross post on RWG2, and I measured mine about 39.5 so I reckon they're pretty accurate

Wrong!

Member X

Wrong!

New Explorer ( 214270 ) is 39mm

http://precisiontime.blogspot.com/2010/03/...explorer-i.html

:)

Member X

I'll have to do a comparison between the gen and the rep when I'm not on a phone!

speedzmaster

Wrong!

WRONGER!

Explorer I (with case 5500/1002) = 34mm

Explorer I (with case 1016/11427) = 36mm

Explorer I (with case 21427) = 39mm The rep is based on www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/basel2010/new-explorer/explorer-39mm-steel-214270 (copy-paste this url to get to the site)

Explorer II (all) = 40mm

Ska

Great review X - really interested in the reseller promotion now. How does it work??

Member X

Check Robert's thread in his section for the reseller info :lol:

I think all the numbers are now allocated so you'll have to wait until he removes someone and lets others apply again!

Or join with someone with a number to do a mini-group buy :beer2:

Member X

uOh, and I will just add - after a day of work behind a busy bar, getting some substantial arm movements in pretty often, I'm having movement problems :lol:

I think it might just be a loose rotor that's not winding it properly :beer2: so am going to attempt a handwind later to see if it gets it going. If it does, problem diagnosed - then I just have to fix it... lol

If it doesn't, I will have to consider my options. Reseller prrices exclude after sales problem resolution (I think?) so I may have to price up a new movement and fitting.

At which point I may as well consider a relume if it's in for work... lol

AustinTech

Sounds like a rotor problem for sure. No big deal there. I actually thought that when you mentioned the noise in your earlier post.

Keep us in the loop! Otherwise - you still diggin' it?

Member X

Will do!

Just wish my parcel from Col would turn up..., dammit! lol

I farkin' LOVE this watch, way more than I thought. I think I would actually buy the gen :)

Member X

Ok, to update this thread, BrightLight was kind enough to take on looking at this :) although he couldn't get the caseback off because it was so tight and had to order a new die to do it! :)

Upon removal, he found that a screw was missing and one of the screws for the reversing bridge was really loose:

Expl1MX.jpg

I've agreed to a full service as I think this will be a long-term keeper :) so will update with further info as BL progresses!

Big thanks to BL for taking it on! :(

KBH

Great looking watch. Glad it was a simple fix.

Brightlight

As a matter of interest for anyone who has one of those crap Rolex caseback tools from ebay where the 29.5 die doesn't fit, you can buy just the Bergeon die from the link below. The bar handle from the set fits fine by the way and the die is a pleasure to use, like a glove -

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/rlx_special.php?id=0041

Reasonable price too with shipping.

greg_r
As a matter of interest for anyone who has one of those crap Rolex caseback tools from ebay where the 29.5 die doesn't fit, you can buy just the Bergeon die from the link below. The bar handle from the set fits fine by the way and the die is a pleasure to use, like a glove -

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/rlx_special.php?id=0041

Reasonable price too with shipping.

Available from the RWG Shop. TSSSSSSSSK!!!!! :(

https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index...mp;productId=44

P_Diddy

RWG shop is way cheaper, even if its slowboat from China eh Member X? :D

Member X

lol Yeah, shipping is slow but gets there in the end :notworthy:

I believe BL spoke to TB in the shoutbox about shipping times and decided to buy local to save time!

I'm not complaining if it gets my babies back to me quicker... ;):D

Member X

A further update from BL, as he's kindly provided pictures!

The movement partially reassembled

mxeI001.jpg

Dial pics

mxeI002.jpg

mxeI003.jpg

The dial is glossy - I'm not sure if the gen was and tbh I'm not sure if I care - you really can't tell when it's under the crystal as that gives far bigger reflections face on, the only time you can really tell is at a 45 degree angle when you can see the reflection of the hands in the dial when you hold it close up, but it looks so good anyway that I don't care when it's on the wrist! ;)

I can't wait to get it back :D