Sign in to follow this  
Robin195959

show us your old,vintage or pocket watches.

Aren

My 1894 Waltham Open Faced, gold filled PW...

19,000 were made

Size 12

7 Jewels

Bal. - Brequet Spring

WalthamPWMar2014004_zps845766ec.jpg

WalthamPWMar2014006_zpsa976a9a8.jpg

WalthamPWMar2014007_zps2f9d15ff.jpg

WalthamPWMar2014008_zpsda103a62.jpg

WalthamPWMar2014005_zps9ae18ad0.jpg

It's hard to see in my photos, but this watch has steel blue hands.

I am still working on this one, but it is presently on hold because life gets in the way sometimes.

The timing takes me several days to get it right. I run the watches against each other and check the time against my computer.

I have observed in most PWs that if they are wound tightly that they tend to run faster, so be careful not to wind yours too tightly.

This watch still needs more TLC, crown ring and servicing, which I will do when I have more time.

You may notice that I have a shoelace as a fob and that the ring top is missing on this watch.

As mentioned, I use shoelaces for fobs while working on the watches and when they are stored.

There are only two kinds of fobless Pocket watches...the ones which have been dropped...

and the ones which will be.

So, if you have a collection of PWs and only one fob...try the shoe laces for convenient and safe home handling of your watches. :D

They are cheap, easy to use, gentle on your watch and help secure/insure against accidental watch drops.

:wub: all the vintage watches you guys...great stuff...please keep them coming.

I am working on a couple of Elgins and will post them when I can.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

This is a great thread !!!

:)

Robin195959

19,000 were made

Size 12

7 Jewels

Bal. - Brequet Spring

I am still working on this one, but it is presently on hold because life gets in the way sometimes.

The timing takes me several days to get it right. I run the watches against each other and check the time against my computer.

I have observed in most PWs that if they are wound tightly that they tend to run faster, so be careful not to wind yours too tightly.

This watch still needs more TLC, crown ring and servicing, which I will do when I have more time.

You may notice that I have a shoelace as a fob and that the ring top is missing on this watch.

As mentioned, I use shoelaces for fobs while working on the watches and when they are stored.

There are only two kinds of fobless Pocket watches...the ones which have been dropped...

So, if you have a collection of PWs and only one fob...try the shoe laces for convenient and safe home handling of your watches. :D

They are cheap, easy to use, gentle on your watch and help secure/insure against accidental watch drops.

It's gorgeous Aren. Love the cobalt blue breguet style hands and the lovely decoration on the movement.

Aren

The Lexington...

PocketwatchLexington001_zps96af8dbc.jpg

The hands are blue steel and the watch has a Swiss movement with a pin-lever escapement.

I will add some photos of the movement later. The pin-lever (sometimes called pin-pallet) is a movement developed in ~1867 by a gent named Roskopf who invented it.

It is not a very good movement in that it is fragile and not especially accurate but this one seems to keep good time. This is the same movement you would find in a free standing kitchen oven timer. :lol:

The crystal on this 1940's Lexington is pretty scratched up and I will see about getting it polished or replaced. If the wear on the crystal is any indication, it was used often...

PocketwatchLexington002_zps68f14a5f.jpg

If you notice an extra hand pointing at 7 o'clock it's a hand for the alarm.

This is an alarm pocket watch and a rarity among pocket watches.

Here is a photo of the inside casing:

PocketwatchLexington006_zpsaba8e237.jpg

The pin level watches weren't made after the 1970's when quartz became very popular. Pin levers are still used in timers and some clocks.

These watches were produced under several names...Lexington is a private label.

This is a 7 jewel Baumgartner 222 regardless of the private label name.

"Brevet" means "Patent" in French, so it is not a movement name ID.

If you see "Brevet" on your pocket watch it isn't a "need to research" the term indicator. :)

R. Ranfft of NAWCC referred to the Baumgartner as the "Cadillac among Ford-Ts"

and produced a pink page on this movement:

http://www.ranfft.de...Baumgartner_222

This watch will run (without alarm) for more than 2 days on full winding.

This is the giant among my pocket watches at ~ 52mm not including the crown.

dasselin

I purchased this in Cuba 2 years past

031_zps368e54f4.jpg

029_zpsff1aafc7.jpg

032_zps1b87a050.jpg

Aren

Really nice Dasselin. A Roskopf, as in the pin lever escapement inventor.

Great pick up. Does it keep good time?

Apparently they are very good watches if they are cared for kindly.

I like the nail push time set. I think it makes less wear and tear on the watches.

The dial looks good and the filigree hands are beautiful. :)

Treasure it.

Thanks for sharing.

Robin195959
The Lexington...

PocketwatchLexington001_zps96af8dbc.jpg

The hands are blue steel and the watch has a Swiss movement with a pin-lever escapement.

I will add some photos of the movement later. The pin-lever (sometimes called pin-pallet) is a movement developed in ~1867 by a gent named Roskopf who invented it.

It is not a very good movement in that it is fragile and not especially accurate but this one seems to keep good time. This is the same movement you would find in a free standing kitchen oven timer. :lol:

The crystal on this 1940's Lexington is pretty scratched up and I will see about getting it polished or replaced. If the wear on the crystal is any indication, it was used often...

PocketwatchLexington002_zps68f14a5f.jpg

If you notice an extra hand pointing at 7 o'clock it's a hand for the alarm.

This is an alarm pocket watch and a rarity among pocket watches.

Here is a photo of the inside casing:

PocketwatchLexington006_zpsaba8e237.jpg

The pin level watches weren't made after the 1970's when quartz became very popular. Pin levers are still used in timers and some clocks.

These watches were produced under several names...Lexington is a private label.

This is a 7 jewel Baumgartner 222 regardless of the private label name.

"Brevet" means "Patent" in French, so it is not a movement name ID.

If you see "Brevet" on your pocket watch it isn't a "need to research" the term indicator. :)

R. Ranfft of NAWCC referred to the Baumgartner as the "Cadillac among Ford-Ts"

and produced a pink page on this movement:

http://www.ranfft.de...Baumgartner_222

This watch will run (without alarm) for more than 2 days on full winding.

This is the giant among my pocket watches at ~ 52mm not including the crown.

Fascinating Aren

Robin195959

031_zps368e54f4.jpg

029_zpsff1aafc7.jpg

032_zps1b87a050.jpg

Very pretty. What diameter is it?

Kcore

Hi everyone - I can't believe I missed this wonderful thread! I guess the subject threw me off. I assumed it was about old members, as in chronological years and their watches. Silly me :giggle:

I hope it's OK that I post a vintage or two wristwatch of mine as I don't own any PWs. But after seeing these, WOW, I might start collecting. Oh boy!

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you.

Here's my 1957 Hamilton Arnold. I purchased this Arnold at an auction about 7 years ago. My winning bid was, $305 USD. The watch's movt. is Swiss made and assembled in the U.S..at Hamilton's Lancaster, PA plant. It's movt. is a 673, 11 1/2 ligne sized, 17 jewel. The bezel is 10K rolled gold, SS caseback. The dial is original. As you can see the concentric circles which I believe are near impossible to restore. It's triple signed, Hamilton under the 12:00, movt & crown. It's about 40mm lug to lug tip and and 32mm in dia.

A little history.This was the first year Hamilton introduced the Arnold. It was their way to combat the pressure that American watch manufacturers were under from the Swiss & also entry of the Japanese to the U.S. market. While Hamilton introduced lower cost brands, the Arnold was one of their first attempts at importing a Swiss movt. and assemblying it in the U.S. in PA.

I hope you like it because it's a favorite of mine. Full disclosure here - I don't have good photography capabilities as I'm sure you can see from my posted wristies. These photos are from my watchsmith that I use for ownership documentation/recording for insurance purposes.

HamiltonArnold1_zpse91772ed.jpg

HamiltonArnoldMovt_zpseb78c1a8.jpg

Robin195959
Hi everyone - I can't believe I missed this wonderful thread! I guess the subject threw me off. I assumed it was about old members, as in chronological years and their watches. Silly me :giggle:

I hope it's OK that I post a vintage or two wristwatch of mine as I don't own any PWs. But after seeing these, WOW, I might start collecting. Oh boy!

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you.

Here's my 1957 Hamilton Arnold. I purchased this Arnold at an auction about 7 years ago. My winning bid was, $305 USD. The watch's movt. is Swiss made and assembled in the U.S..at Hamilton's Lancaster, PA plant. It's movt. is a 673, 11 1/2 ligne sized, 17 jewel. The bezel is 10K rolled gold, SS caseback. The dial is original. As you can see the concentric circles which I believe are near impossible to restore. It's triple signed, Hamilton under the 12:00, movt & crown. It's about 40mm lug to lug tip and and 32mm in dia.

A little history.This was the first year Hamilton introduced the Arnold. It was their way to combat the pressure that American watch manufacturers were under from the Swiss & also entry of the Japanese to the U.S. market. While Hamilton introduced lower cost brands, the Arnold was one of their first attempts at importing a Swiss movt. and assemblying it in the U.S. in PA.

I hope you like it because it's a favorite of mine. Full disclosure here - I don't have good photography capabilities as I'm sure you can see from my posted wristies. These photos are from my watchsmith that I use for ownership documentation/recording for insurance purposes.

HamiltonArnold1_zpse91772ed.jpg

HamiltonArnoldMovt_zpseb78c1a8.jpg

Great looking watch and great history too.

Kcore

Great looking watch and great history too.

Thanks Robin. Take a look at the Gen section. I made 2 posts with pics & video of a great vintage Ernst Borel Kaleidoscope watch I bought for my wife for Valentine's Day.

whoknows

Great looking Hamilton in outstanding condition. Hamilton makes some really classy looking watches

I don't understand why Hamilton's are not more popular in the US.

I have been looking to purchase a Hamilton Khaki to add to my collection.

Dr Yan

I know it's a cheap mass produced POS......but I like it.

And I love that you can hear it ticking 100 meters away :)

0AB5BCA0-2426-4AB7-8C86-8421A1E20A41_zpsdaj7d8l4.jpg

Edited by Dr Yan

Aren

Nice Hamilton Kcore !!! :D

Actually Hamilton's are quite fine watches...

The Hamilton Pocket Watches (open faced Railroad watches) are precision scientific instruments.

I am not referring to the PW with the locomotive on a front case. They aren't RR watches at all.

All genuine RR watches are open faced.

RR watches needed to be accurate down to the second !

They are extremely durable and accurate and extremely reliable watches.

I can't help but think that the amazing micro-mechanics which faithfully served the railroad industry were abandoned in the wrist watches.

The Hamiltons will be running long after most other watches have ceased. JMHO

I am sure Kcore's watch has beauty and function in one fine time piece.

It's lovely Kcore. Congrats on owning a fine time piece.

Aren

0AB5BCA0-2426-4AB7-8C86-8421A1E20A41_zpsdaj7d8l4.jpg

Dr. Yan...will you share a photo of the movement?

I don't own an Ingersoll.

Thanks for sharing.

Robin195959

The Hamilton Pocket Watches (open faced Railroad watches) are precision scientific instruments.

I am not referring to the PW with the locomotive on a front case. They aren't RR watches at all.

I can't help but think that the amazing micro-mechanics which faithfully served the railroad industry were abandoned in the wrist watches.

If anyone's interested or like minded I came to watches from two angles: a childhood fascination with my first Timex Xmas present and later in life whilst training as an engineer the incredible equipment used to mass produce these beauties.

Aren is so right about the railroad connection, it drove accuracy, mass production and automation ( of produced parts)in the watch industry. In the 1800's American companies were at the fore front of that revolution.

Kcore

Nice PW Dr. Y!

I'm starting to appreciate and realize the wonderful history that PWs have and learn how beautiful they are too.

Please, Dr. Y. your PW isn't a POS, it's a beautiful mechanical marvel. Seriously, a watches value is how dear it is to its owner, not what it cost as a material thing. People think that unless a watch is expensive and is made by a haute couture Swiss house, then it is a cheap without value. Not true at all! A vintage watch doesn't have to be expensive. I have a few vintage wristwatches like the Hamilton I shared in this thread and the majority cost me less than $750 USD, not $1,000s. My Arnold cost me $300 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thanks Aren! I'm starting to learn the beauty of PWs thanks to you!

I can't wait to see a few more from your collection and I'm on pins and needles to see that amazing Telser when you get a strap for it.

i'd also really be interested to see all the different PW Fobs some of you spoke about. seems like it could be an interesting side hobby :)

Dr Yan

Thanks K, I agree 100% , I find beauty and value in things beyond their monetary cost and aesthetics. I love things like this Ingersoll for example. It's mass produced and the movement is made from stamped out sheet metal mostly. Afaik It has no jewels just brass bushings. It was made in the fifties , looks like it was never serviced and still runs and keeps time perfectly well.

Aren....I am taking a couple of pics and will post them as soon as photo(sick)bucket wakes up ;)

There are some beautiful watches posted here and congrats to all. I used to have severe pocket watch insanity before I became wristwatch deranged. There was a long history of watchmaking in Dublin and some fine pocket watches have been made here along with fine sporting guns. Two traditions that are now sadly dead and gone in this part if the world.

Edited by Dr Yan

Robin195959
Thanks K, I agree 100% , I find beauty and value in things beyond their monetary cost and aesthetics. I love things like this Ingersoll for example. It's mass produced and the movement is made from stamped out sheet metal mostly. Afaik It has no jewels just brass bushings. It was made in the fifties , looks like it was never serviced and still runs and keeps time perfectly well.

Aren....I am taking a couple of pics and will post them as soon as photo(sick)bucket wakes up ;)

There are some beautiful watches posted here and congrats to all. I used to have severe pocket watch insanity before I became wristwatch deranged. There was a long history of watchmaking in Dublin and some fine pocket watches have been made here along with fine sporting guns. Two traditions that are now sadly dead and gone in this part if the world.

Indeed doc, sad demise of wonderful engineering and manufacture of precision instruments in yours, mine(Birmingham) and many other Towns. At least we lived to see it!

Steve AKA Creamedcage

19,000 were made

Size 12

7 Jewels

Bal. - Brequet Spring

What a beautiful watch. I can look at it for hours.

Steve

Dr Yan

Here ya go Aren, not much to look at though ;)

7EFC7C94-CB49-485A-A95D-90A3CFABBC11_zpsm4cwieow.jpg

2f4c19f6882c6b5a0f076d504426de83_zps404515ac.jpg

Aren

I have pocket watch insanity NOW. I would love to see more of the movement Dr. Yan. I have always liked and admired PWs. I bought my first pocket watch for my Dad many decades ago.

I have read some of the history of British and Irish watches and watchmaking, but I do not have access to their Society records for researching them. It is private and one must join. This might interest you...

http://www.mcgonigle.ie/watchmakers/

in spite of appearances, watchmaking isn't gone from Ireland.

Now, my interest has branched out. I love the larger mechanical movements of PWs. I can see them and am learning to do a little work on them. Most of them are large enough, and durable enough for me to tinker with. This makes me really happy. :D

When I can, I plan to update my (cheapie) 16 tool kit, but it is ok for now. The tools in the RWG shop look great. In the past few years, at the RWG birthday, there has been a GAW from the RWG shop. I never entered them. I thought the tools would be best in the hands of someone who would/could use them. I never realized that one day...that could be me. :lol:

It is unlikely that I will be able to do much tinkering with reps, and the old vintage wrist watches have such small movements I need a magnifying lamp. I am enjoying the study of antique and vintage watches and am learning alot from members watches. I see new things all the time. It is fun and interesting. It keeps me fascinated, but it is a bit frustrating when I have other things which take up my time. When the weather here changes, watches will be on hold again. I enjoy learning new things and acquiring new skill sets. Mechanical devices of all sorts have always interested me and watches are just fascinating ! It is easy to see how the great old watch masters were so driven. I tried studying the tourbillion movement because I just love watching it, but it was too much for me. The pocket watches are back to basics, so they are great for me. For anyone wanting to tinker with watches, I highly recommend PWs. If I can do it...anyone can. :D

Just don't choose a priceless keepsake for learning on !

Thanks for your comment SteveBBB. That is how I feel about looking at watches. It took me a long time to be brave enough to look with more than just my eyes.

I am working on a couple of Elgin's, which are on hold ATM. I will need a crystal for one of them, and don't have a crystal press.

I will post them when I can, and hope others here continue to post their older watches. Have fun everyone. :D

:wub: to all

Robin195959

Hi all,

Hope none of you mind the thread name change. Some of the guys thought it would attract more interest and comment. Hope so cos it had kinda dried up.

Aren

I hope this topic will continue.

I will post another pocket watch when I have time to take some photos.

Robin195959
I hope this topic will continue.

I will post another pocket watch when I have time to take some photos.

hi Aren,

Good to see you back.

Aren

I took the time to photograph this Elgin to post it here...

Serial Number 21035859

This is a size 12 gold filled dress watch

6000 were made

7 jewel

Grade 303

Class 114

o3n3p *

*provides watch construction info. O = open face. 3 is for 3/4 plate, which is the layout of the movement plate. N = nickel movement finish instead to gold, 3 is the model number for the 12 size movement. P = pendant set, which means you don't need a key and pull out the crown to set the hands.

8cbb897b-337d-42d9-bed6-0ceb0f464aeb_zps7bcbb5ea.jpg

ElginPW002_zpsd995887a.jpg

ElginPW004_zps74179b3e.jpg

I didn't plan to post this watch yet, and it needs more work.

This watch is what I call a "tight winder." It will wind, but it is so tight you don't want to wind it more than 2 or 3 turns.

That is usually just enough to hear if they tick and see if hands move, but not enough to know if is keeps time.

Although I superficially cleaned this and put a drop of oil in it, it needs to be broken down, cleaned and oiled.

I am very slow at this.

I don't presently have time and don't know when I will get to it.

This watch needs the crystal replaced. There is a crack at 8 o'clock.

This will be my first crystal replacement and fortunately Elgin parts are easily obtained.

It is a nice watch, but shows some considerable wear on the case back - not shown.

If you can see the scratches on the inside of the case, those are dates of service. This watch was well worn by someone who cared for it, but that was decades ago now.

I think it is now in the right home and my own scratches will be next. :D