Sign in to follow this  
Robin195959

show us your old,vintage or pocket watches.

Kyrasym

here's mine!a4uzutaq.jpg

kire612002

Tissot chronograph from the end 30′s. Movement is Lemania/Tissot/Omega cal. 15TL/33.3

tissotdial_zps8503839f.jpg

tissotmov2_zpsef9fc61b.jpg

OLDBLOKE74
goldbox_zps2dc30cc2.jpg?t=1377258035

Robin195959

Some beauties there peeps. Great box full from old bloke. Any individual close ups?

here's mine!a4uzutaq.jpg

Love it.

Sbybbuser

1962-63 Heuer Autavia

IMG_1738_zpsd85cdd39.jpg

IMG_1739_zps89086859.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsb8626963.jpg

IMG_1742_zps74810e38.jpg

Robin195959

Tissot chronograph from the end 30′s. Movement is Lemania/Tissot/Omega cal. 15TL/33.3

tissotdial_zps8503839f.jpg

tissotmov2_zpsef9fc61b.jpg

A well used beauty that.

Robin195959

Great watch vying for the motor racing paddock cool prize in the sixties with Daytona

Aren

WOW...you guys have been holding back. Fantastic watches.

These are all stunning :cheerleader2:

The Rolex, Tissot, and Heuer and all of OldBlokes watches are gorgeous.

My next post will be shameful :lol:

Great watches gents and thanks for posting! :wub:

Kcore

Robin, the thread's new name is perfect, Good Job! -

Great to see some new posts of vintage pieces with pics. A lot of neat PW and WW our members have tucked away.

Come on everyone, break out your secret stash of wonderful oldies & show 'em off!

If things go right, I'm hoping to have a new acquisition soon. I'm in negotiations for a real beauty from the mid- 1950s. Wish me luck all :)

Robin195959

Good luck with the acquisition Eric. Here's my second oldest watch, an American beauty especially for you and Aren a 1930's(I think) white gold filled Waltham with some nice engraving and cobalt blue hands on a painted dial.

0FE33050-8571-4375-B0B6-58CEB2B9084D_zpskyvbj8qk.jpg

819C9F3B-FAEA-45CE-9374-E91DEB5B5F93_zpsp7wdnvqj.jpg

FF8B8C73-E21C-4EA7-ABF2-75165F879D26_zpshz1n1crw.jpg

Aren

That Waltham is beautiful Robin. I would be curious if that is a Radium dial, now that I know a bit more about them.

I like Walthams and probably need to aim at working on Walthams more than Elgins.

The Walthams (and Hamiltons) have friction fit balance staffs.

I pass on watches with balance staff issues because I don't have a lathe and can't replace them.

With the friction fit, you can install a new staff without the need for a lathe. The only tools needed are a staking set.

All the best with your new purchase Kcore...can't wait to see what you are getting. :)

The watch I am going to post below has a damaged balance staff, and I doubt I will be able to fix it. Even so, unbelievable to me, it runs and actually keeps accurate time. I don't know how that is possible.

Here is an Aristocrat Railroad Special.

Trust me, these watches never saw a Railroad unless it was in a passengers pocket, and they are anything but "Special". :lol:

These watches are the absolute cheapies of the pocket watche world. These watches were so cheaply made it was cheaper to purchase a new one than repair a broken one. For that reason, they are referred to as "Dollar Watches." The funny thing about these mass produced cheapies is that most where tossed in the bin when they stopped running or keeping time, so not as many remain as we would imagine.

Of those remaining, finding an actual running one is more of a rarity.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW001_zps924c597b.jpg

This watch has some unusual characteristics. It has an light amber dial. It has a hard (plastic ?) dial cover that will compress up and down when touched because it is loose. This is a problem since this is a pop off case back and even slightly too much pressure removing or replacing the case back would easily break the domed crystal. I can hardly bring myself to call this a crystal since it isn't a crystal at all. This Aristocrat is missing the bow, and I don't know if I will find one to replace it. It looks like the ring from a dog license would fit it.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW004_zps39eacc42.jpg

This watch was manufactured by The E Ingraham Co of Bristol Conn. USA. The little number under the movement makers engraving is 51. That means this watch was made in 1951. Nothing sophisticated there. :lol: Surprisingly, the watch has very little rust and not surprisingly appears to not have been serviced. If it was serviced, the usual interior case markings were not made.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW006_zpsf7df2c60.jpg

I haven't had time to take this apart, and I am almost afraid to. If you can see the balance wheel you will notice the wheel is about 20 degrees lopsided. Because it is so out of true, I don't know how it keeps accurate time. It is also incredibly noisy. The ticking sounds like an old, loud clock and you can hear the rocking of the wobbling balance wheel. Unlike the Waltham watches, this isn't going to be a friction fit balance staff and I may have to leave this problem alone.

After posting this mocking bird of a pocket watch , I will need to post my 1951 Longines for a real comparison from the worst to (among) the best. :lol:

Thank you for looking.

Please keep sharing your watches. TIA

:wub:

Kcore

Thanks Robin!

Your Waltham is sure a beauty. If you're comfortable with popping open the caseback, i'd love to see the movt, serial# and any markings.

Robin195959

I'll have a go at opening it tomorrow and post pics if successful.

How can we check if it's a radium dial Aren?

Robin195959
That Waltham is beautiful Robin. I would be curious if that is a Radium dial, now that I know a bit more about them.

I like Walthams and probably need to aim at working on Walthams more than Elgins.

The Walthams (and Hamiltons) have friction fit balance staffs.

I pass on watches with balance staff issues because I don't have a lathe and can't replace them.

With the friction fit, you can install a new staff without the need for a lathe. The only tools needed are a staking set.

All the best with your new purchase Kcore...can't wait to see what you are getting. :)

The watch I am going to post below has a damaged balance staff, and I doubt I will be able to fix it. Even so, unbelievable to me, it runs and actually keeps accurate time. I don't know how that is possible.

Here is an Aristocrat Railroad Special.

Trust me, these watches never saw a Railroad unless it was in a passengers pocket, and they are anything but "Special". :lol:

These watches are the absolute cheapies of the pocket watche world. These watches were so cheaply made it was cheaper to purchase a new one than repair a broken one. For that reason, they are referred to as "Dollar Watches." The funny thing about these mass produced cheapies is that most where tossed in the bin when they stopped running or keeping time, so not as many remain as we would imagine.

Of those remaining, finding an actual running one is more of a rarity.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW001_zps924c597b.jpg

This watch has some unusual characteristics. It has an light amber dial. It has a hard (plastic ?) dial cover that will compress up and down when touched because it is loose. This is a problem since this is a pop off case back and even slightly too much pressure removing or replacing the case back would easily break the domed crystal. I can hardly bring myself to call this a crystal since it isn't a crystal at all. This Aristocrat is missing the bow, and I don't know if I will find one to replace it. It looks like the ring from a dog license would fit it.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW004_zps39eacc42.jpg

This watch was manufactured by The E Ingraham Co of Bristol Conn. USA. The little number under the movement makers engraving is 51. That means this watch was made in 1951. Nothing sophisticated there. :lol: Surprisingly, the watch has very little rust and not surprisingly appears to not have been serviced. If it was serviced, the usual interior case markings were not made.

AristocratRailroadSpecialPW006_zpsf7df2c60.jpg

I haven't had time to take this apart, and I am almost afraid to. If you can see the balance wheel you will notice the wheel is about 20 degrees lopsided. Because it is so out of true, I don't know how it keeps accurate time. It is also incredibly noisy. The ticking sounds like an old, loud clock and you can hear the rocking of the wobbling balance wheel. Unlike the Waltham watches, this isn't going to be a friction fit balance staff and I may have to leave this problem alone.

After posting this mocking bird of a pocket watch , I will need to post my 1951 Longines for a real comparison from the worst to (among) the best. :lol:

Thank you for looking.

Please keep sharing your watches. TIA

:wub:

Interesting that these were still mass produced as late as the fifties isn't it.

ps Enjoying the PW collection Aren.

Aren

You could look at the serial number and see if there was info on it, or

another possibility is to look for a similar model on ebay.

You could see if you can detect a faint lume...very faint.

Look with a magnifying glass to see if you see the interior of the numbers are painted with a soft metallic looking paint (not reliable tho)

For me, I use a monitor, but most people don't have them.

Edit...check if it is a Radium watch before you remove the case back. PM

NAWCC says the only way to tell is with a geiger counter (radiation metre/monitor)

plankton
010_zps6890ad90.jpg

Robin195959

Nice selection Plankton. The Burlington has a really interesting dial.

What is the smaller piece laying down in the pic?

digger2

I have some too, the gold watch is from my great grandfather

DSCN9665_20130818_151642_zpse8e041d7.jpg

DSCN9674_20130818_152542_zps199b36d1.jpg

DSCN9672_20130818_152124_zps9b21b499.jpg

DSCN9679_20130818_152847_zpsb00d6bb9.jpg

DSCN9680_20130818_152932_zpsbded339f.jpg

DSCN9691_20130818_153600_zps50e8249d.jpg

P1280244_950.jpg

P1280211_950.jpg

P1280178_950.jpg

Robin195959

They are great Digger. Love the Seiko too.

Robin195959

You could look at the serial number and see if there was info on it, or

another possibility is to look for a similar model on ebay.

You could see if you can detect a faint lume...very faint.

Look with a magnifying glass to see if you see the interior of the numbers are painted with a soft metallic looking paint (not reliable tho)

For me, I use a monitor, but most people don't have them.

Edit...check if it is a Radium watch before you remove the case back. PM

NAWCC says the only way to tell is with a geiger counter (radiation metre/monitor)

Popped the back safely and separately from the front. So here goes. Pics not great. Aren, Eric can you glean anything from the numbers?

817B37A5-85B2-40AA-9BE2-5BC0C5CA0FE2_zpsquiyebav.jpg

F6232342-68C1-45DE-BCD7-6476351D51FF_zpsfmz7brwt.jpg

2FA825E6-4C0A-4BCF-8675-E095D719B0F1_zps8p0fdd2c.jpg

325ACBF8-9C57-4255-8A72-C80DA51A41BC_zps6u5sh5s0.jpg

9568B644-164A-41AA-9A08-11D505EAB362_zpszvxarkjb.jpg

Aren

Plankton...beautiful watches !

Oh Digger, I was hoping you would post your pocket watches. I remember admiring your old thread.

Didn't know you had the vintage Seiko....Nice.

The watches are beautiful gents.

Thank you for sharing.

:D

Aren

Robin, I think you can look at the link below.

I don't think these numbers apply only to pocket watches, but you can check

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html

If so, it appears your watch was manufactured in 1926.

Looks like a nice movement. Waltham produced rectangular watches with a 750b movement, but your watch would pre-date those and on those movements, the "b" is clearly marked like images on this thread:

http://www.vintagehamilton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4122

:)

Robin195959

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html

Looks like a nice movement. Waltham produced rectangular watches with a 750b movement, but your watch would pre-date those and on those movements, the "b" is clearly marked like images on this thread:

http://www.vintagehamilton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4122

Thanks for the link Aren. So 1926? Older than I thought. It's nice to have that history on your wrist.

Not many people appreciate the contribution the American companies made to standardisation of parts and automation in the watch industry. The influence on machine tools spread into general engineering.

Aren

http://www.pocketwat...es/waltham.html

http://www.vintageha...f=35&t=4122

Thanks for the link Aren. So 1926? Older than I thought. It's nice to have that history on your wrist.

Not many people appreciate the contribution the American companies made to standardisation of parts and automation in the watch industry. The influence on machine tools spread into general engineering.

You were incredibly close on dating your watch. :)

I only study pocket watches lately, and it looks like I could probably do that for the rest of my life and still be a noob. :lol:

I will be posting my Longines triple signed 10 Grand Prix PW next, but hope others will post more watches in the meantime.

I had a Hampden, but I don't now. I like variety since it broadens my frame of reference and scope of my study.

The Longines is the last of my pocket watches, except for my father's, which I can't get to ATM.

I want a Hamilton Railroad quality PW, but I don't have one yet. I also like the Omega's and Zenith's but have neither.

I aim to get a Hamilton Railroad PW sometime soon, and want one in really good condition.

As you can tell, I have plenty of watches to work on - needing service or parts for now. :lol:

:D

Kcore

Popped the back safely and separately from the front. So here goes. Pics not great. Aren, Eric can you glean anything from the numbers?

2FA825E6-4C0A-4BCF-8675-E095D719B0F1_zps8p0fdd2c.jpg

Robin, using the movt. serial number from your photo, 26012077, I was able to obtain the following information from the NAWCC's Gray Book and Waltham handwritten ledgers:

Records show the Model is: 1907, which had serial numbers from 25998001 - 26018000. My understanding is Waltham model #s generally correspond with the year the watch was first manufactured.

Material Grade: "U" - No. 361 ( See NOTE)

Size: 3/0 ("Lancashire Gauge system" )

Jewels: 7

Balance: Breguet Spring

Material Note: "U" stands for "Unadjusted." These include most 7-15 jewel watches. These are usually not adjusted for positions or temperature (other than that provided by the bi-metallic compensation balance). Timing screws are brass and there are usually no mean-time screws. A "U"-grade balance staff has no oil grooves and the coarsest pivots. Wheel pivots are the coarsest used in the model.