Sign in to follow this  
Robin195959

show us your old,vintage or pocket watches.

avc0002

1962-63 Heuer Autavia

IMG_1738_zpsd85cdd39.jpg

IMG_1739_zps89086859.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsb8626963.jpg

IMG_1742_zps74810e38.jpg

I'm in love

Robin195959

So u should be. Lovely watch!!!

Robin195959

Popped the back safely and separately from the front. So here goes. Pics not great. Aren, Eric can you glean anything from the numbers?

2FA825E6-4C0A-4BCF-8675-E095D719B0F1_zps8p0fdd2c.jpg

Robin, using the movt. serial number from your photo, 26012077, I was able to obtain the following information from the NAWCC's Gray Book and Waltham handwritten ledgers:

Records show the Model is: 1907, which had serial numbers from 25998001 - 26018000. My understanding is Waltham model #s generally correspond with the year the watch was first manufactured.

Material Grade: "U" - No. 361 ( See NOTE)

Size: 3/0 ("Lancashire Gauge system" )

Jewels: 7

Balance: Breguet Spring

Material Note: "U" stands for "Unadjusted." These include most 7-15 jewel watches. These are usually not adjusted for positions or temperature (other than that provided by the bi-metallic compensation balance). Timing screws are brass and there are usually no mean-time screws. A "U"-grade balance staff has no oil grooves and the coarsest pivots. Wheel pivots are the coarsest used in the model.

Hi Eric,

Yes I guess mine was a later version first made in1907? Thanks for looking

Robin195959
Robin, I think you can look at the link below.

I don't think these numbers apply only to pocket watches, but you can check

http://www.pocketwat...es/waltham.html

If so, it appears your watch was manufactured in 1926.

Looks like a nice movement. Waltham produced rectangular watches with a 750b movement, but your watch would pre-date those and on those movements, the "b" is clearly marked like images on this thread:

http://www.vintageha...f=35&t=4122

:)

Looking forward to the Longines. :-). Good luck with the Hamilton search. I'm wearing a modern Hamilton diver right now.

Thanks for the link Aren. So 1926? Older than I thought. It's nice to have that history on your wrist.

Not many people appreciate the contribution the American companies made to standardisation of parts and automation in the watch industry. The influence on machine tools spread into general engineering.

You were incredibly close on dating your watch. :)

I only study pocket watches lately, and it looks like I could probably do that for the rest of my life and still be a noob. :lol:

I will be posting my Longines triple signed 10 Grand Prix PW next, but hope others will post more watches in the meantime.

I had a Hampden, but I don't now. I like variety since it broadens my frame of reference and scope of my study.

The Longines is the last of my pocket watches, except for my father's, which I can't get to ATM.

I want a Hamilton Railroad quality PW, but I don't have one yet. I also like the Omega's and Zenith's but have neither.

I aim to get a Hamilton Railroad PW sometime soon, and want one in really good condition.

As you can tell, I have plenty of watches to work on - needing service or parts for now. :lol:

:D

digger2

They are great Digger. Love the Seiko too.

Plankton...beautiful watches !

Oh Digger, I was hoping you would post your pocket watches. I remember admiring your old thread.

Didn't know you had the vintage Seiko....Nice.

The watches are beautiful gents.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank's Robin and Aren, you have got some nice ones too :)

Aren

Longines Triple Signed 10 Grands Prix

Longines Size 16, high grade ,800 silver open face triple signed with 10 Grands Prix awards.

Porcelain dial with gold pendulum hands.

This is a lovely watch which keeps perfect time, but still needs service.

The previous owner opened and closed it and wore on the catch just a bit.

I guess he didn't have finger nails since he made scratches on the case in spots of opening.

My father taught me that when you open and close a pocket watch that you release the stem so that it doesn't wear on it.

The hinges are in perfect shape and not sprung. I can see why someone would open and close this one alot.

This movement is really fascinating to watch . The jewels on the lever are easy to see and mesmerizing.

After looking at pin lever (pallet) escapements, this one is a real joy to open and watch.

It is nice to look at a watch you know has not been re-cased.

Swiss made. Serial Number -8907739 (37.93) 1953

After reading Porter's Longines thread on his 1951 PW, I plan to write to Longines to see what info they may have on this model.

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix003_zpsa38141c0.jpg

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix006_zpsf8f2cbb6.jpg

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix001_zps21eec811.jpg

LonginesPW_zpsb2fc917c.jpg

Sorry for any finger prints. I really need some of those white gloves.

The watches are always hard for me to photograph and just handling them makes marks

Thanks for looking. :D

Kcore

Longines Triple Signed 10 Grands Prix

Longines Size 16, high grade ,800 silver open face triple signed with 10 Grands Prix awards.

Porcelain dial with gold pendulum hands.

This is a lovely watch which keeps perfect time, but still needs service.

The previous owner opened and closed it and wore on the catch just a bit.

I guess he didn't have finger nails since he made scratches on the case in spots of opening.

My father taught me that when you open and close a pocket watch that you release the stem so that it doesn't wear on it.

The hinges are in perfect shape and not sprung. I can see why someone would open and close this one alot.

This movement is really fascinating to watch . The jewels on the lever are easy to see and mesmerizing.

After looking at pin lever (pallet) escapements, this one is a real joy to open and watch.

It is nice to look at a watch you know has not been re-cased.

Swiss made. Serial Number -8907739 (37.93) 1953

After reading Porter's Longines thread on his 1951 PW, I plan to write to Longines to see what info they may have on this model.

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix003_zpsa38141c0.jpg

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix006_zpsf8f2cbb6.jpg

LonginesTripleGrandsPrix001_zps21eec811.jpg

LonginesPW_zpsb2fc917c.jpg

Sorry for any finger prints. I really need some of those white gloves.

The watches are always hard for me to photograph and just handling them makes marks

Thanks for looking. :D

That's a beautiful PW Aren! I love the porcelain dial. I don't believe I've ever seen a porcelain dial on a pocket or wrist watch before. Only clocks. As I'm not a PW person, yet :) are these dials common on PWs? n The movt looks pristine too.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Robin195959

That's a stunning looking watch Aren. You're very lucky to own and cherish such lovely pieces. Good photos too.

Kcore

My apologies to both Digger & Plankton - I don't know how I could have possibly missed both your post? Your PWs are amazing! You both have really kept them in excellent condition.

Digger, I really like your vintage Seiko. The movts diashock clearly shows this is a high-end Seiko - very cool!

Thanks guys :)

Aren

That's a beautiful PW Aren! I love the porcelain dial. I don't believe I've ever seen a porcelain dial on a pocket or wrist watch before. Only clocks. As I'm not a PW person, yet :) are these dials common on PWs? n The movt looks pristine too.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Thank you Kcore. Most of the old dials are porcelain. I wondered if this was was actually ceramic since it is from the 50's.

It was represented as porcelain. It has some damage at 6 o'clock. Most of my older PW are porcelain. Porcelain tends to fracture easily, so they get damaged if dropped.

I actually do have one other PW. It was my father's, but I can't get to it ATM. When I can get it, I will post it.

It is a skeleton watch.

Thanks for looking :)

Kcore

I just picked this beauty up today and wanted to share. It's in need of a work. At the very least a tear down, cleaning, oiling, and a major polish. The main spring is very tight. It is an auto and will run for an hour or two & then stop. It has a unique day / date setting mechanism, similar to some old Omegas. The crown in the 2nd position gets gently pushed in and out to change day & date. Also, the case opens from the bezel, not the back

I'm proud to introduce the newest member of the Kcore family, my 1966ish Longines, Amdiral 5 Star Day/Date Automatic!

34mm dial ( beautiful creme colored sunburst) , 38mm lug to lug, acrylic crystal, 17 jewel caliber 501 mvt., ( sorry no movt shot, yet :)), Case, hands, and indices are 10K gold filled with 6 diamonds, 2 at 12, then 2,4,8 & 11:00.

LonginesAdmiralFace_zps623a3dcf.jpg

LoginesAdmiralcaseback_zps2097cf7b.jpg

Robin195959
I just picked this beauty up today and wanted to share. It's in need of a work. At the very least a tear down, cleaning, oiling, and a major polish. The main spring is very tight. It is an auto and will run for an hour or two & then stop. It has a unique day / date setting mechanism, similar to some old Omegas. The crown in the 2nd position gets gently pushed in and out to change day & date. Also, the case opens from the bezel, not the back

I'm proud to introduce the newest member of the Kcore family, my 1966ish Longines, Amdiral 5 Star Day/Date Automatic!

34mm dial ( beautiful creme colored sunburst) , 38mm lug to lug, acrylic crystal, 17 jewel caliber 501 mvt., ( sorry no movt shot, yet :)), Case, hands, and indices are 10K gold filled with 6 diamonds, 2 at 12, then 2,4,8 & 11:00.

LonginesAdmiralFace_zps623a3dcf.jpg

LoginesAdmiralcaseback_zps2097cf7b.jpg

Looks to be in great nick Eric. Lovely classy dial!!

Aren

I just picked this beauty up today and wanted to share. It's in need of a work...

I didn't repost your photos, since it unnecessarily uses up forum bandwidth.

Since they are just above they can easily already be seen. :)

That is a great find Kcore...beautiful gold and can't wait to see it polished. It's already lovely.

I can see from the photos that it is double signed, and I have no doubt the movement will be signed also.

I hope we will get to see the movement. ;) The Longines movements are stunning and the lever action is easy to see in the PWs.

The same may be true for the wristwatches.

So...is that a domed crystal? Nice.

The watch is beautiful and probably just needs some TLC.

Fantastic pick up.

If it runs, but doesn't stay running it is probably just a cleaning and oiling issue.

Old oil turns to black watch gunk, which impairs movement.

The mechanical watches, which don't run at all are usually the broken ones...at least that is my limited experience.

Great watch. Thanks for sharing

Pihlippe

Old Omega from my grandpa.... :)

DSC_0019_zps69f7892f.jpg

DSC_0028_zps51ead062.jpg

Kcore

Thanks Aren!

I hope all it needs is a good tear down, cleaning & oiling. :Whew: It's with my watchsmith now. I should have an answer about issues this Friday.

I'll be able to take pics of the movt. then, while he has it open. I don't have the proper tools to open her up. This watch opens, unscrews from the front and requires a special wrench. Not just a sticky ball job. My watchsmith showed it to me. It looks similar to the type of strap wrench used to remove a vehicle's oil filter except it's minature in size.

I'll definitely post more pics when it's running strong and all polished

Robin195959

Looking forward to the movement shots Eric. I'm sure it's as good as the dial.

myaz

To me, there are two kinds of fobless PW carriers...

The ones who have dropped their watches, and

The ones who will.

As per your suggestion, waited to post these to keep the thread going.

…..And then there are the PWs damaged by watch smiths. Many years ago, I had a local guy service my grand father's PW. He managed to crack the dial and didn't say anything about it. I was younger and stupider. Nowadays, I'd pick a watch smith more carefully. If you have any info on either of these, I'd love to learn it. The inscription says "Pavel Bouré, purveyor of the highest court". If you know where I could source a new dial for it, I'd get one.

PavelBoure_zps7ede572d.jpg

Tissot from grandma. Center hole moves the hands, the other one winds it.

Tissot_zps7258bb45.jpg

sardonix

From the fifties bumper automatic

8uSS4mx.jpg

kkz88

Here is mine.i got from market vintage rolex air-king 1972 when I buy that one rotor so noise and a lot of scratch.so I repair it(just broken rotor)eqejumep.jpg

Gen rolex movement

7uqabe4a.jpg

KarmaToBurn

Vintage...

WCollection-5.jpg

Pocket...

WCollection-4.jpg

Aren

grandfather's watch

Grandfather's watch looks like a nail set, Russian Military watch to me.

Take a look at this one...

http://www.ebay.com/...N-/121294755073

Grandmother's Tissot is stunning and I hope you will get the watch and the fob appraised.

I suggest you look at movements carefully with a magnifying glass and check the numbers and any emblems.

You can also look at the inside of the case with a magnifying glass and look for tiny scratches made by a watchmaker.

There will normally be dates of service scratched into the cover somewhere.

Be sure to date the watch from the serial number of the movement, not the number on the case.

When you go to a watchmaker have as much info as possible in advance.

Sorry to hear that your Grandfather's watch was damaged.

In this day and age, you can take close up photographs prior to taking a watch for service or repair.

It looks like your Grandmother's watch is multi-signed and in the original case.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Aren

From the fifties bumper automatic

8uSS4mx.jpg

This is a stunningly beautiful Omega...and of course your photograph is fantastic Sardonix. :D

Any chance you can show us the movement? It's lovely.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is mine.i got from market vintage rolex air-king 1972 when I buy that one rotor so noise and a lot of scratch.so I repair it(just broken rotor)eqejumep.jpg

Gen rolex movement

7uqabe4a.jpg

Really nice Air King and a great pick up.

I hope you can get a new rotor. I saw a gen Rolex rotor on Ebay recently. Maybe you can get one there.

The watch would be worth it. :)

Vintage...

WCollection-5.jpg

Pocket...

WCollection-4.jpg

I am not familiar with Poljot but it looks like it's in new condition.

The Elgin is very nice and a nice photograph.

Thanks everyone for posting your watches.

cwazy1

heres mine... all orig double box as well

m7bl.jpg

Kcore

WOW, there are so many fantastic vintage pocket & wrist watches that have been posted today alone, I don't know where to begin. All I can say is each one is beautiful. Thank you all so much for sharing your heirlooms.

It is so wonderful that some of the vintage watches that have been posted have been in someone's family for generations. Handed down from father to son or daughter to grandson or granddaughter.

Robin, thank you again for starting this thread and Aren, thank you so much for bringing your PW expertise to RWG!

Robin195959

Hi all,

My 70's Zodiac SST a rare 36000 bph. Smooth as a baby's bottom!

E344FE53-4D5C-4EE3-B03F-BA838A48CEE8_zpsbtimxofm.jpg