Sign in to follow this  
Robin195959

show us your old,vintage or pocket watches.

Robin195959
WOW, there are so many fantastic vintage pocket & wrist watches that have been posted today alone, I don't know where to begin. All I can say is each one is beautiful. Thank you all so much for sharing your heirlooms.

It is so wonderful that some of the vintage watches that have been posted have been in someone's family for generations. Handed down from father to son or daughter to grandson or granddaughter.

Robin, thank you again for starting this thread and Aren, thank you so much for bringing your PW expertise to RWG!

Agreed Eric, these old beauties are such a pleasure and so many with great stories too. Thanks to all posters.

Aren

heres mine... all orig double box as well

m7bl.jpg

lovely watch and great that you have all of the originals with it.

Hi all,

My 70's Zodiac SST a rare 36000 bph. Smooth as a baby's bottom!

E344FE53-4D5C-4EE3-B03F-BA838A48CEE8_zpsbtimxofm.jpg

36000 WOW...That is double the beats of a common watch...the oldie but goodies are only 5 ticks per second.

That must be a flawless sweep.

Beautiful watch.

There are so many great watches here, it's hard to comment.

I need to revisit this thread from the beginning...it's soooo good.

Thanks everyone.

:D

Show us your treasures gents.

Cheers !

George.

m7bl.jpg

Hi all,

36000 WOW...That is double the beats of a common watch...the oldie but goodies are only 5 ticks per second.

Beautiful watch.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers !

I'd love to see a vid of that!

Robin195959

m7bl.jpg

Hi all,

Beautiful watch.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers !

I'll try and upload a video of the sweep if tests not too boring. It's very sweetly smooth tho!

Robin195959

* if that's not too boring*

Mystery Shopper

A big thank you to Aren for all the time and effort in finding out extra info on my Great, great Grandma's pocket watch. We confirmed that it was English, from 1890s and was a 'jewellers' or store brand watch. Aren was also able to find other examples of these watches and I am really grateful. The watch will be passed down the line to my daughters. Here are more pics- I like the fine writing on the outer caseback from days gone by.

SAM_1693_zps1811e6bf.jpg

SAM_1686_zps6f2bb84f.jpg

myaz

Nice, indeed a keeper.

docholiday08

I freaking love this site....I need a watch project..

Aren

This is a great thread with lots of amazing watches we may never see anywhere else.

:cheerleader2:

Robin195959

Too true Aren. I Filmed the sweep on the Zodiac but am struggling to upload onto photobucket. I'll keep trying its a nice short flick but demos the smooth sweep.

Aren

Too true Aren. I Filmed the sweep on the Zodiac but am struggling to upload onto photobucket. I'll keep trying its a nice short flick but demos the smooth sweep.

I think you can do it on Photobucket, but I don't know how. There is a video function there.

Looking forward to seeing it..and Kcore's watch movement and Trailboss' Elgin...

:cheerleader2:

James.

I have two vintage Omega's. A few other nondescript Swiss pocket watches in a drawer, too.

temporary_zpsbfee5dd9.jpg

temporary_zpsec415d62.jpg

Robin195959
I have two vintage Omega's. A few other nondescript Swiss pocket watches in a drawer, too.

Those Omegas look great James. Any more detail on the pocket watch?

James.

I'm 98% sure it's a front loader, porcelain dial (cracked :( )hand wound mvmnt. I really want to open it up, give it a clean and oil and fix the stem release but for the life of me cannot get it open.

Robin195959

I'm 98% sure it's a front loader, porcelain dial (cracked :( )hand wound mvmnt. I really want to open it up, give it a clean and oil and fix the stem release but for the life of me cannot get it open.

Thats a shame. Don't force and damage it tho. Perhaps Aren could advise. The wristwatch look similar to a gold top constellation I have in one of my boxes. Both lovely!!

Aren

Beautiful watches James!

I am not an expert, but if the way to open your pocket watch isn't obvious and you don't see a hinge, then put a sticky ball on the back of it and turn it counter (anti) clockwise while holding the watch face/dial down in your palm. On the screw backs, sometimes I can't even see the line where the caseback is screwed on. The case can actually look solid and seamless. If you don't see a hinge or a place to press, it is most likely a screw back and you will get the back off with a sticky ball. Obviously if you see a hinge...don't use the sticky ball :blush: and don't risk damaging it with an opening knife. Sometimes I see screw back cases with all kinds of nasty gouges and scratches from someone who didn't know how to open it...or worse, just didn't care.

If you don't have a sticky ball, I don't recommend the inverted ball of duct tape. It works, but it is very messy. You will need some acetone or goo gone to get the residue off of the caseback.

If you have any of those suction cups that hold things to kitchen or bathroom walls, they work fairly well too and won't harm your watch. Plus, they have a nub to hold onto. Let us know how you make out.

I hope the case back will come off easily for you.

Sometimes, when you open a fine old pocket watch and get to see the movement ... it feels like you are getting a gift.

It feels great, like a nice surprise.

To me, it feels like a gift even when it is having a look at someone else's watch movement. :D

Nice watches James. Thank you for posting them.

:)

Kcore

I'm in love! James, that gold Omega is stunning!!! If possible, a pic of the movt would be wonderful. Thanks for sg=haring shuch a beautiful watch.

@ Aren & Robin - my new Longines 5 Star Admiral is still at the shop. As you know I've been off the circuit for a bit but will be back in NYC this coming week and will be in his shop. He always takes pics for me as my pic taking skills are total crap :giggle:

zinnboy

Wow. 200 years. That's older than me. :)

James.

Decided to pop the xtals to give them and the dials a quick clean with a dry paintbrush...

temporary_zps86c60387.jpg

Pocket watch is indeed a front loader, the state of the dial however is perturbing me from pulling it further apart, I'd hate for it to come to pieces once detached from the movement or back plate

temporary_zps7990585e.jpg

And just for kicks, my vintage desk clock, Le Coultre Atmos

temporary_zpsb2dc3fee.jpg

Aren

Decided to pop the xtals to give them and the dials a quick clean with a dry paintbrush...

temporary_zps86c60387.jpg

Pocket watch is indeed a front loader, the state of the dial however is perturbing me from pulling it further apart, I'd hate for it to come to pieces once detached from the movement or back plate

temporary_zps7990585e.jpg

And just for kicks, my vintage desk clock, Le Coultre Atmos

temporary_zpsb2dc3fee.jpg

You have some beautiful watches and clock James.

I am not fortunate enough to have an Omega and yours is really nice.

Your Omega (front loader) appears to be a "swing out" case and there is no seam around the back cover of those cases. The back would not open with a sticky ball. The body of the case is one piece. Remove front bezel as you have and look for swing-out movement. Be sure to pull the crown for the winding stem out before trying to lift the movement out of the case. The movement will lift up. You need to be sure the crown/stem is pulled out before you lift the movement or you might damage the stem. Let me find some photos for you of a swing out. Take a look here.

http://www.pocketwat...watch-cases.php

This page will describe in better detail what to do to see the movement.

James.

Thanks Aren, that'll be some interesting reading a little later... wish me luck! :P

Aren

Thanks Aren, that'll be some interesting reading a little later... wish me luck! :P

You have a fantastic pocket watch and the swing out cases are very unusual.

Once you sort it out, I think you will open it with ease.

You won't need luck...just be careful with your treasure.

I just examined a swing out yesterday, but don't have one of my own, that is why the link I posted will have more comprehensive directions than I could post.

Take good care

Robin195959

As promised the zodiac 36000 bph video clip.

th_DFC32D76-DA0F-4021-B9DE-265E0B18D5A1_zpsyknnw2nk.jpg

Kcore

You have some beautiful watches and clock James.

I am not fortunate enough to have an Omega and yours is really nice.

Your Omega (front loader) appears to be a "swing out" case and there is no seam around the back cover of those cases. The back would not open with a sticky ball. The body of the case is one piece. Remove front bezel as you have and look for swing-out movement. Be sure to pull the crown for the winding stem out before trying to lift the movement out of the case. The movement will lift up. You need to be sure the crown/stem is pulled out before you lift the movement or you might damage the stem. Let me find some photos for you of a swing out. Take a look here.

http://www.pocketwat...watch-cases.php

This page will describe in better detail what to do to see the movement.

Wonderful article Aren, thank you! I've bookmarked Renaissance, definitely a good reference site. They have a lot of other interesting "how to" articles that I want to read.

Steve227

This one was my great grandfathers:

452.jpg

457.jpg

453.jpg